PDA

View Full Version : Shrink wrap ?

flat broke
10-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Hey guys do to current economic times "no job no house" I have to store my boats outside :( Has anyone tried the shrink wrap method before ? any pro's and or cons to it ? I live in nor cali so I am not to much worried about temp just moisture and or mold condition. I do not have the newest or nicest boat but it is clean and good shape for it's age and I work hard to keep it that way. I just don't want to have it shrink wrap and pull it off to find a inside full of mold. Any feed back or info is greatly appreciated thank you :)

TMCNo1
10-08-2009, 09:35 PM
It's discussed in the recent thread, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32906

Cloaked
10-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey guys do to current economic times "no job no house" I have to store my boats outside :( Has anyone tried the shrink wrap method before ? any pro's and or cons to it ? I live in nor cali so I am not to much worried about temp just moisture and or mold condition. I do not have the newest or nicest boat but it is clean and good shape for it's age and I work hard to keep it that way. I just don't want to have it shrink wrap and pull it off to find a inside full of mold. Any feed back or info is greatly appreciated thank you :)Let it breathe to some degree. Personally I'd not do it. Find a cover then find a tarp to protect the cover / trailer / etc,still allowing air circulation. Even a carport over that would be a reasonable solution.

( http://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/Gallery/Gallery.html )

They do get wrapped / shipped and set in storage for various reasons but I wouldn't care to do it on a boat.

$.02

Chicago190
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I used to have our old boat shrink wrapped for outdoor storage and they inserted a plastic vent into the plastic that allowed it to breathe.

bigmac
10-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Gotta have vents, preferably active ventilation. If the air inside the boat hits the dew point, you'll get condensation. If you get condensation, you'll get mold. And lots of it.

JohnE
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I do remember some horror stories over the years of people uncovering their boats that were put away spotless in the fall....