PDA

View Full Version : Marine Tex Epoxy

wakesurfer
10-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Just wondering if its ok to use Marine Tex Epoxy to repair a worn area of missing gel coat on the hull check pic. Thanks guys, I know you recomended that I buy gel coat but its costly and for a temporary fix i was wondering if the MTE would work?
thanks in advance.:)

Jorski
10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Marine tex is more for filling in gouges. It should then be sealed in some fashion.

You could repair that yourself (there are a million online tutorials) with gel coat for a very small amount of money for materials. It would turn out better looking than marine tex no matter how badly you did it.

TMCNo1
10-08-2009, 07:15 PM
If your going to continue beaching the boat, I wouldn't bother with it till it eats a hole in the bottom.

FrankSchwab
10-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Once you get the MarineTex on, I don't think it's coming off easily. It's a fairly permanent repair.

For a temporary repair, you should be able to ignore the problem for the rest of the season. You may get a bit of water absorption, but you have all winter to let it dry out. Get some gel coat (or find a local gel coat shop) for the spring, and you'll be golden.

/frank

Thrall
10-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Just rough it up with some sandpaper. Marine Tex will hold. Wont look good, but it will waterproof the area. It stays somewhat soft. Can't sand it out like gel.
I had 2 of the 5 swimdeck screw holes wallowed out a little on one mount. Needed a quick fix before vacation. Marine tex'd all the holes and reinstalled the bracket. That was about 3 years ago and they ahven't come loose.

boyd
10-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Put whatever is strongest on it and then cover with a Keel Guard. I think you can buy those things in 8' lengths. I think that is by far the best. You can then continue to beach the boat .

Boyd

Thrall
10-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I'd just gelcoat it though. Remember the gel has to be pretty thick and terminate at a hard edge (can't feather it out like paint). I'd mask off from chine to chine and spray the whole area. Small repairs can be made by brushing or dabbing the gelcoat on, at the expense of ALOT of sanding to get it in shape.
ANother thing I found when I repaired a scratch in my Prostar, is not to wait 24hrs (reccomended) for it to cure befroe sanding. I sanded the repair down about an hr later, much softer/easier to sand. Just have to cover the area with some curing coumpound and wax paper right after snading to allow it to finish curing properly.
If you have or can get a paint gun (I think an old siphon feed would work best because the gel is really thick, I brushed my scratch repair on because it was small though), the repair materials can be had for about $100 from spectrum color, perfectly matched.

wakesurfer
10-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks to all of you for your recomendations !!! Really appreciate your time to help a fellow MC owner. God Bless.

TX.X-30 fan
10-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks to all of you for your recomendations !!! Really appreciate your time to help a fellow MC owner. God Bless.

Except #1 right?? :D

wakesurfer
10-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Just to recap: did the quick repair with marine tex and it worked really well, it dried super hard and held up . Thanks for the help to everyone!

cbryan70
10-20-2009, 08:11 PM
should be able to sand the marine tex smooth

blackcreek
10-23-2009, 07:15 AM
When I use marine tex I take a piece of wax paper,place it over the repair, and press the wet marine tex out with a squeege. Let it cure and pull off the paper, leaves a smooth finish that only takes a bit of sanding around the edges.

wakesurfer
10-24-2009, 08:07 PM
thanks for the tip, i will keep that in mind it sounds awesome!