PDA

View Full Version : a Big thank you to C36

canadianskier
10-08-2009, 12:09 AM
just wanted everyone here to now of my story. I put a ad in the find a pull/give a pull section, and after a few emails, we hooked up for a ski. Since then we have been out skiing a number of times. He is great with driving my boat on/off the trailer, asking all the right questions, such as "is the plug in" [I never get mad at that one] wiping down the boat afterwards, and chipping in for gas and toll fees. He has let me borrow some of his water ski dvds which were great help, especially the Andy Mapple one. He set up an camera mount for my ski pylon to film how bad I ski which was good for a few laughs and a good learning tool also. So once again thanks for coming skiing with me, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I have.

Muttley
10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Wish I could have been there. Couldn't seem to get the timing right.

Maybe next year! >sigh<

C36
10-09-2009, 02:37 PM
You are most welcome and it has truly been my pleasure. I have definately enjoyed it - good company, awesome water, great wake, and spectacular scenery. I really appreciate you hosting the sessions with your boat. I have posted a few pictures from last weekend (Oct 3) below to give others a sense of how spectacular 'your place' is.

just wanted everyone here to now of my story. I put a ad in the find a pull/give a pull section, and after a few emails, we hooked up for a ski. Since then we have been out skiing a number of times. He is great with driving my boat on/off the trailer, asking all the right questions, such as "is the plug in" [I never get mad at that one] wiping down the boat afterwards, and chipping in for gas and toll fees. He has let me borrow some of his water ski dvds which were great help, especially the Andy Mapple one. He set up an camera mount for my ski pylon to film how bad I ski which was good for a few laughs and a good learning tool also. So once again thanks for coming skiing with me, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I have.

View to the north toward the narrows.

View from the narrows looking north (you can see the shimmer of the glass in the distance). Also note the dusting of snow on the mountain peak in the distance.

Fall water level is low at the boat ramp.

Wacko
10-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Where abouts are you guys skiing?

canadianskier
10-09-2009, 07:59 PM
that would be golden ears park in maple ridge B.C.

canadianskier
10-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Wish I could have been there. Couldn't seem to get the timing right.

Maybe next year! >sigh<

ok Muttley your on for next april or may, you up early in the morning

Muttley
10-12-2009, 05:58 PM
ok Muttley your on for next april or may, you up early in the morning

Could be! I'll be on for the weekends, anyway. Looking forward to getting out more next year. ;)

C36
05-14-2010, 02:31 PM
canadianskier:

Here is a picture of Deas Slough from Google Maps. You can manipulate the map itself by going clicking here (http://www.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Deas+Slough,+Vancouver,+BC&sll=51.524125,-0.552063&sspn=1.228677,1.153564&ie=UTF8&hq=Deas+Slough,&hnear=Vancouver,+BC&ll=49.120737,-123.066144&spn=0.021121,0.055661&t=h&z=15). Hope this helps.

p.s. You are the man for skiing with no wetsuit last night! :eek::D

C36
05-17-2010, 03:25 PM
A few pictures from 2010 May 13.

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2010, 04:01 PM

There a date set yet?? :D

C36
05-17-2010, 06:55 PM
canadianskier:

On our drive back in from the Tswwassen Terminal last night (May 16) I took the glance to the right down Deas Slough that I always take and this time I saw the water ski course. The water was dead calm and the evening light was low from the west so the course lit up in the evening light and could be seen clearly. It is tucked into the SE corner of the Slough. Did not have time to see if it was complete (or not) or how many buoys.

canadianskier:

Here is a picture of Deas Slough from Google Maps. You can manipulate the map itself by going clicking here (http://www.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Deas+Slough,+Vancouver,+BC&sll=51.524125,-0.552063&sspn=1.228677,1.153564&ie=UTF8&hq=Deas+Slough,&hnear=Vancouver,+BC&ll=49.120737,-123.066144&spn=0.021121,0.055661&t=h&z=15). Hope this helps...

Jetlag
06-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Deas Slough has an all year daily time table for paddlers and water skiers.

SUMMER SCHEDULE FOR DEAS SLOUGH USE
July 1 - up to and including Labour Day

WATERSKIERS

Sun Daylight to 11:00 am

Mon 10:30 am to park close

Tue Daylight to 9:30 a.m.
12:30 pm to 4:00 pm

Wed 10:30 am to 3:00 pm

Thur Daylight to 9:30 am

Fri 10:30 am to park close

Sat 1:30 pm to park close

WINTER SCHEDULE FOR DEAS SLOUGH USE
The day after Labour Day up to and including June 30

WATERSKIERS

Sun Daylight to 11:00 am

Mon 6:00 pm to park close

Tue Daylight to 9:30 am

Wed Daylight to park close

Thur Daylight to 9:30 am

Fri 1:30 pm to park close

Sat 1:30 pm to park close

Deas Slough Hourly Use Schedule (http://www.myhomeontheslough.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106:deas-slough-hourly-schedule&catid=20)

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Does that sound like an exaggeration? Well, how many water parkways can you name that have a schedule for its users? And, did you ever wonder why scullers are out rowing at dawn on Saturdays but not Sundays? Or, why water skiers are on the waters before work on some mornings but not all?

Here is the answer.

Deas Slough has an all year daily time table for paddlers and water skiers. This plan ensures that our calm and protected waters are even more safe for its users. This schedule changes twice a year and, in fact, it just changed this last weekend.

:D:D

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Just in case some were confused..................... 8p

What is a Slough?

On the west coast of the United States and Canada, a slough is a secondary channel of a river delta or a narrow channel in a shallow salt-water marsh, usually flushed by the tide. While this is similar to the term as used in the eastern U.S., the trees native to the west do not grow into the waterway to form a swamp. The secondary channel meaning is particularly common on the lower reaches of the Fraser River in British Columbia, from Laidlaw downstream to the river's estuary. Important sloughs on the Fraser are the Deas, Nicomen and Sea Bird Sloughs, adjacent to the islands of the same name. In the Pacific Northwest of the United States, and in British Columbia, a slough also refers to a slow-moving, canal-like, river or channel, such as the Sammamish Slough, and can appear in the names of oxbow lakes, e.g. Meadowbrook Slough of Snoqualmie River in Washington State.

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2010, 01:20 PM
You Canadians are a wacky bunch

http://www.tospeakofmanythings.com/