PDA

View Full Version : X-14v am I crazy?

cdstukey
10-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Okay, so it's a familar story, growing family, other uses(wakeboard, surfing, and um maybe even toobing), public water, you know... compromises.
Bit the bullet and sold the beloved 190 this fall. With four adults and two kids regularly in the boat, and another little one expected to be on board next season, it was getting a little cramped.
If I sent my better half into the dealer to pick up a new boat she would most likely come out with a X-15. Which lead me to the X-14v, it's a bigger boat than the 190, she likes the layout and I figure it's the closest hull to the 190 outside of the 190/197. I get that a bigger and heavier boat comes at the cost of a bigger wake, but I am having issues with the whole v-drive thing. I have been driving and skiing DD boats since Dad brought home the first SN in '79, I drove the X-14v and it just didn't seem as crisp as what I am used to. Am I just being too picky?
I still prefer to ski 95% of the time and 65% of the time the boat will be pulling somebody on a ski.
Am I just making a mountain out of a mole hill?
Also, this boat has been out for a couple of years now, why are reports and reviews so hard to come by?

Double D
10-07-2009, 11:51 PM
I can't say if you crazy or not and I am sure the X-14V is a great boat, BUT, I am an old school kind of guy who loves Detroit Muscle for cars, and will never buy any boat with the motor in the back, and agree that you are probrably feeling the difference in the ride you get with the engine being in the back. My opinion only. :cool: And opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one. :D

peason
10-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Why not just the X-14? If you ski most of the time, I would figure this would be a great boat with room for the family. I have not ridden either, but like you I prefer true inboards.

Age Fighter
10-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Why not just the X-14? If you ski most of the time, I would figure this would be a great boat with room for the family. I have not ridden either, but like you I prefer true inboards.

My thoughts exactly. I happen to think the X-14 is the best boat out there unless you are 100% hard core ski or 100% hard core board. The X 14 was built for the dad who wants to ski better than the X-9 will but has family needs and friends or family who want to board.

And the original direct drive model has outstanding room and lay out and folks who own one love them. I am sure they will chime in. With a bit more optimistic view of the economy, I would have bought this boat and sold my X-9.

Witness140
10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
I came from 20 years of direct drive tournament inboards. Test drove the 214V at fanfare last year. Handles pretty similar to a DD. The engine is pretty far fwd when compared to your typical V-drive. They had to do that to achieve the wake they wanted IIRC. There are pictures floating around of the wake at different speeds, but for slalom it is supposedly pretty darn good.

I think where they have really failed in their marketing is providing info on the surf and wakeboard wakes with ballast in the boat.

I went with the X2 because I have a family of 6 and typically go to the lake for the entire day, vs living on the water and being able to be in and out. Needed a ton of storage, didnt want to hit my head on the tower speakers, etc and wanted a good surf wake.

I can still take the occasional slalom set behind my X2, but if we are going to hit the course, we are going to do it with someone else's DD.

Maristar210
10-08-2009, 10:02 AM
So....

Stick the kids in the bow and buy a 197/209?

If you are a skier 95% of the time you will be making a comprimise buying the X14V

Just my opinion...

Thrall
10-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Happened to be talking to the folks at Houston MC last week and the lady there said the X14V is the only 3 event sanctioned vdrive out there. Said she preferred the wake compared to the 214 for some reason. (I'm not a course skiier, so didn't pay much attention).
Yes they're much bigger than a 190, but no where near the room of an X15 inside, or even an X2 for that fact.
The 2 and the 15 aren't going to ski nearly as well though.

On another note, how did you sell the 190? I'm in CO too and having no luck selling mine. Get quite a few calls, but noone serious. Anyone calls you about your boat, maybe send them my way. DOn't think I'm out of line on price, but I'm not going to give it away...not that desperate to sell.

Oh, and I'm starting to get over the fact that nothing will be as quick and handle as well as a 190. My X2 is a turd compared to the 190 in both departments, but it sure is nice when the water gets rough!

JohnE
10-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I have an X14. I've driven (but haven't ski'd) the 14V. IMO the direct drive version has more room inside. Granted the motorbox in the center is a dealbreaker for some wives. I can see that if you are trying to keep the reins on a few toddlers. Other than that the added space seems to stretch everone out so it's not like sitting on a bus. And the X14 is very close to the 197 for slalom. KnoxX2 boarded behind it last month and said the wake arguably better than his '06 X2 for how he boards.

I also got some advice for surfing it form Mike Siepel at Barefoot International. I'm buying 4 sacs this winter and he told me the wake would be huge. I wasn't looking for huge....just OK would do.

JohnE
10-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Happened to be talking to the folks at Houston MC last week and the lady there said the X14V is the only 3 event sanctioned vdrive out there. Said she preferred the wake compared to the 214 for some reason. (I'm not a course skiier, so didn't pay much attention).

I can't imagine preferring the V over the DD for course skiing. But then again wakes are subjective.....

captain planet
10-08-2009, 10:51 AM
If you ski 95% of the time stick with a DD and get the X-14 (sans the V). There is a lot more room in the X-14 than your 190 and you aren't compromising much.

mccobmd
10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I have an X14. I've driven (but haven't ski'd) the 14V. IMO the direct drive version has more room inside. Granted the motorbox in the center is a dealbreaker for some wives. I can see that if you are trying to keep the reins on a few toddlers. Other than that the added space seems to stretch everone out so it's not like sitting on a bus. And the X14 is very close to the 197 for slalom. KnoxX2 boarded behind it last month and said the wake arguably better than his '06 X2 for how he boards.

I also got some advice for surfing it form Mike Siepel at Barefoot International. I'm buying 4 sacs this winter and he told me the wake would be huge. I wasn't looking for huge....just OK would do.

John E, let me know how that surf wake is on the X14, if I can find a way to surf one my X1 will become a X14 fairly quickly.

Thrall
10-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I can't imagine preferring the V over the DD for course skiing. But then again wakes are subjective.....

Niether can I, but just throwing it out there. She wasn't trying to sell me the boat, so I took it as an honest opinion.
Not being a skiier, I can't ever imagine going back to less room and storage than the X2 has (and kick myself for passing up on a deal on an X15!). It's simply luxurious compared to any DD boat I've been in.....now the aceleration and handling are a different story!

squigs
10-08-2009, 12:43 PM
JohnE - what were the four sacks that you ordered for surfing? ie...how much weight, size, shape, where'd you order from etc. My wife likes trying to surf behind our x14, but we're no where close to being able to drop the rope. The wave is just too small without additional ballast. It's still fun to play on though!

I've loved every minute on my 14. Had some struggles with the KGB, but hopefully my dealer has those fixed up for me for next spring.

bxroads
10-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Granted the motorbox in the center is a dealbreaker for some wives.

On the contrary, some wives enjoy it........

Double D
10-08-2009, 01:16 PM

OH, OH, Now that is just bad!!! ;)

cdstukey
10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
On another note, how did you sell the 190? I'm in CO too and having no luck selling mine. Get quite a few calls, but noone serious. Anyone calls you about your boat, maybe send them my way. DOn't think I'm out of line on price, but I'm not going to give it away...not that desperate to sell.

Thrall,

I had it listed here and in the denver Craigslist. Most of my calls were from the CL add.
I probably had 12 - 15 people call on my boat, 1 person was from colorado (and wanted to trade a 1990 boat and a 2006 dirt bike for my boat) a couple from Canada and the rest were from east and west coast. I ended up getting a little less than what I was asking but still above NADA value to a buyer from WA. Met him and delivered the boat to SLC. I worked hard for this sale with lots detailing, delivery, getting info to everyone and following up with people because I didn't want to sit on the boat all winter. I also found that most buyers expected me to be desperate to sell and looking for deals (not that there is anything wrong with that but when I wasn't a few just moved on)
Good luck with you sale, if you have any other questions just ask

Chad

mckevin
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
You can surf the x14 without too much problem. 1000lbs in the back, maybe 650 in the bow, with a 500lb bag behind the driver. Not huge, but definitely surfable

squigs
10-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey mckevin - Is that on top of the stock ballast? How much extra water do you scoop up over the bow/sides with all that weight in the boat?

mckevin
10-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Last October, when I ordered the boat, a PS214, my wife wanted a ski boat. So I ordered it with no ballast. It has only the three bags in it. With the weight spread out in the boat, it does not drive bad at all. Only water scooping problems is when you have 2 big people, plus the bag in the bow. The nose will take on water quickly from even small waves. No issues in the rear or the sides.

JohnE
10-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Granted the motorbox in the center is a dealbreaker for some wives. .

You didn't really contradict me.;) I may have been a little more subtle tho.:D

Thrall
10-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Thrall,

I had it listed here and in the denver Craigslist. Most of my calls were from the CL add.
I probably had 12 - 15 people call on my boat, 1 person was from colorado (and wanted to trade a 1990 boat and a 2006 dirt bike for my boat) a couple from Canada and the rest were from east and west coast. I ended up getting a little less than what I was asking but still above NADA value to a buyer from WA. Met him and delivered the boat to SLC. I worked hard for this sale with lots detailing, delivery, getting info to everyone and following up with people because I didn't want to sit on the boat all winter. I also found that most buyers expected me to be desperate to sell and looking for deals (not that there is anything wrong with that but when I wasn't a few just moved on)
Good luck with you sale, if you have any other questions just ask

You looking for a nice 96? j/k.

Chad

cd,
Ok, same story here. Had alot of calls. Have sent pictures to atleast 20 people, then no calls back. You're right, most people are looking for someone desparate to unload the boat. (Heck, I was, finally found someone willing to take a big loss on an X2 to sell it!)
Still getting calls here and there, but no takers. I got it listed for $13k, which is what people are asking for boats without the tower, racks, etc. Come down to $12500 and no takers. I'll keep it for less than that. Maybe I shouldn't be so forthright with describing the imperfections with it. Even though it's 98% cherry, I know I'd be pi$$ed if someone told me the boat was perfect and I drove a long ways to find that they didn't disclose every little chip and ding in the boat.

JohnE
10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
JohnE - what were the four sacks that you ordered for surfing? ie...how much weight, size, shape, where'd you order from etc. My wife likes trying to surf behind our x14, but we're no where close to being able to drop the rope. The wave is just too small without additional ballast. It's still fun to play on though!

I've loved every minute on my 14. Had some struggles with the KGB, but hopefully my dealer has those fixed up for me for next spring.

I spoke with Mike Siepel a few weeks ago. He suggested 4, 20x20x50 750 lb sacs and 2 tsunami pumps. One in the bow, one port side of motorbox on floor, one behind motorbox on floor, and one on lounge seat. He did say they won't fill 100% since they are a little bigger than some of the space will allow. But they will fill more than a smaller bag that fits but doesn't fill the space. He said the 2 pumps will allow you to fill in under 10 minutes. And of course all passengers on the corner where you are surfing. Cost should be 150/ sac and 100/ pump so total will be $800.

And he warned me about submarining it when turning around to pick up a fallen rider.

I didn't but them yet as the season was over for me. I will buy them over the winter.

JohnE
10-09-2009, 10:32 AM
cd,
Ok, same story here. Had alot of calls. Have sent pictures to atleast 20 people, then no calls back. You're right, most people are looking for someone desparate to unload the boat. (Heck, I was, finally found someone willing to take a big loss on an X2 to sell it!)
Still getting calls here and there, but no takers. I got it listed for $13k, which is what people are asking for boats without the tower, racks, etc. Come down to $12500 and no takers. I'll keep it for less than that. Maybe I shouldn't be so forthright with describing the imperfections with it. Even though it's 98% cherry, I know I'd be pi$$ed if someone told me the boat was perfect and I drove a long ways to find that they didn't disclose every little chip and ding in the boat.

You're doing everthing right IMO. I would want everyone to know any imperfections too. I think I said before that it'll sell in a minute if it was a "steal". It's worth what you are asking. No harm in keeping it if you can't get your price. It's essentially money in the bank because if you list it at a firesale price it'll sell in a second.

Thrall
10-09-2009, 11:09 AM
You're doing everthing right IMO. I would want everyone to know any imperfections too. I think I said before that it'll sell in a minute if it was a "steal". It's worth what you are asking. No harm in keeping it if you can't get your price. It's essentially money in the bank because if you list it at a firesale price it'll sell in a second.

Yeah, I grilled the PO of the X2 6 ways from Sunday about his boat before I bought it, because I could tell that he didn't have the same mentality as most of us about MC's.:D
(To the point that I made him feel bad about how he kept up his boat. Said several times "If I get another boat I'll never do thisor taht again!")
Plus he was having his buddy deliver it 500mi away and knew I wasn't giving him the $ until I checked it out.
Just gotta think I'm scaring some people away that are imagining the thing's a POS becuase I'm telling them everything that's wrong with it, when they may not even notice or care about the issues I'm divulging. Anyone that looks at it in person (not buyers, just friends or whatever) always says how clean it is, looks like it's new, etc. I dunno.:confused:

Sure would make a nice "2nd boat" up at my mom's place on the lake in WI!!

wtrskr
10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I'd go with the x-14. It has Plenty of room, better slalom wake, and the wakeboard wake is very good when weighted. Considering the V drive has the same hull, you should be able to obtain an identical wake if the weight is added in the right spots.

Regarding the 190 not selling. This post started with someone who is moving away from a closed bow. That is where the market is heading. I've been watching craigslist periodically for the last couple of years, and there are just a lot of boats for sale right now. People are probably interested in your boat then find something else similar but lower priced, or something the same price but open bow.

If you wait until next year you might have more luck especially if the economy improves. Even then, it may take a while to clear out the supply that has built up. If you want to sell before then, I'd recomend estimating a value based on other Craigslist ads and boats that hit their reserve on and sell on ebay (not many). Look at the Craigslists adds that dissapear in a reasonable period of time, not the ones that have been out there for months. When priced right, the boats move within a few of weeks. IMO, with a closed bow, I think you might be suprised how low you have to go to get it to sell in this environment.

Calibu
03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
What did you buy.... My story mirrors yours... I am coming out of a Malibu Respnse LXI and just sold it.... I am leaning to the X14 DD But I have a number of folks telling me the ski wake behind the Malibu VTX is better then the X14 Doesn't make snese to me...Looking for advice.

uncleboo
03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
My next boat is going to be the X14 DD. I want more room than my 190, like to still ski and foot, but also wakeboard and surf. To me, it seems to be the best all around boat. I have been looking at different models for two years and think this is the best fit for what I like to do.

cdstukey
03-17-2010, 11:55 PM
What did you buy.... My story mirrors yours... I am coming out of a Malibu Respnse LXI and just sold it.... I am leaning to the X14 DD But I have a number of folks telling me the ski wake behind the Malibu VTX is better then the X14 Doesn't make snese to me...Looking for advice.

Not sure if this was directed at me but for what its worth we went with the x-14v. We mainly go out with one other couple and between us have three children under four years of age in the boat. My wife really liked the vdrive layouts so that we can keep the kids close. I skied the boat twice before finally coming to terms with switching from DDs to the vdrive. The slalom wake was a little taller and harder at slower speeds but at 34 the differences were not that bad. We also added the adjustment plate so we could try and tweak it a bit if we need to. When the kids are older I may go back to a smaller DD but for now any compromise of ski wake was offset by room, layout and wake size for other activities. I will post more "ride reports" when we get the ice off the lakes, its getting close and its been a long winter with the new boat in the garage. Can't really comment on the 'bu as I have never really been a Malibu guy, all Nautiques and MCs for me. I would just try to ski them as close to back to bak as possible. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Chad

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/boat/214vdelivery.jpg

YTW
03-17-2010, 11:58 PM
When Momma is Happy, Everybody is Happy!

Nice One!

cdstukey
03-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Truer words were never said!

Thanks. Now if we could just get it wet.

skitilldark
03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
If you ski 95% of the time stick with a DD and get the X-14 (sans the V). There is a lot more room in the X-14 than your 190 and you aren't compromising much.

I agree with this. The X14 would be a great compromise for you although I'm not sure you're ever going to get the crisp turns etc that the 190 provided. It is still going to feel a bit heavy especially when a skier falls and you try to quickly turn the boat to return...

cdstukey
06-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Mid summer update

Well we got off to a slow start weather-wise this season but we are starting to roll now. I thought I'd give my impressions of the 14v so far this summer. For those who don't know, we moved from a '01 190 to a '10 x-14v to accommodate growing families and friends. four adults and three kids, plus gear in a 190 was getting a little tight.

Skiing
I generally like to ski flat water at 34mph on a 67.5" D3 X5 Pro. If I can plan ahead (read, get all the stuff out of the boat and between 1/2 to 1/4 of a tank of gas) I can get a decent ski wake that is maybe an inch or so taller than my old wake. There wasn't much difference in the hardness of the wake in my view. however, a full boat (gas, people and stuff) greatly affects wake size as does a drop to speeds below 32mph. Also, I would say anybody that can cross the wakes on a good edge needs to ski off the front pylon as it is pretty easy to pull the boat around from the rear pylon. There is no question that this boat is no 190 or 197 but it makes up for it in so many other areas.

Wakeboarding
Okay, I'm no pro (wake to wake 180s and grabs are about as advanced as I get) but even without ballast at 20mph the wake was about double that of our 190. Add ballast and its bigger than I need. Its also nice to be able to balance the boat by adding/subtracting ballast from the port or starboard tanks (although its still quicker to just tell somebody to scoot over). I'm sure anybody who is half way decent could throw inverts all day long behind this boat.

Surfing
This was the great unknown hope going into this boat. I should also mention that I had never wakesurfed before (excluding riding regular surfboards with no intention of dropping the rope many years ago). Well, after trying it three times now I can safely say that I can ride unassisted behind the 14v. With full center and starboard ballast, 1/2 a tank of gas, a driver and two other adults I could throw the rope and keed going. We were riding at 11.4mph and had the adjustment plate at 50%. I am about 180 lbs and was riding a Inland Surfer Blue. I would say the wake was a little over knee high in the sweet spot. I don't know if it will have enough wake for doing any kind of more agressive surfing but maybe with some additional ballast/people, who knows? Besides, I can't do any tricks yet anyways.

Layout
I didn't like the layout when I first say pictures of it, but when we got in one for the first time we liked it alot. After living with it for a couple of months now, we absolutely love it. It is especially nice with the kids. It is a much more social boat if that makes any sense. The full height tower/bimini is much nicer to walk under but doesn't shade the seating area as well as a bimini on a mini tower.

Storage
Holy crap, where to start. The amount of stuff you can store in this boat is unbelievable. We usually have four adults and up to three kids in the boat. With the exception of a baby bag and a couple of towels everything is stored either in the racks or hidden in storage compartments. I can't say how nice it is to not have climb over ropes and equipment to move around the boat. A quick rundown from front to back -
under bow seats: tool kit, mooring lines, 2 super soaker water guns, shoes and a fleece blanket.
under observers seat: ez-ski (deflated), Inland Surfer Blue and a 12v inflator.
on tower: 2 slalom skis, 2 wakeboards.
under port side seat: third slalom ski, wakeboard, surf, slalom and tube ropes.
under starboard side seat: cooler.
rear port locker: four adult life vest, three childrens life vest, three wetsuits (spring), gloves.
rear starboard locker: O'brien 79" towable (deflated) two adult life vest and a cushion (throwable floatation)

Handling
The bad? vdrives are no direct drives. The good? vdrives are no direct drives. While the 190 would turn on a dime and give you nine cents change, the 14v is a much more forgiving riding boat. It handles rough water so much better than the 190 it is almost scary. I kind of feel bad because in the 190 I was constantly aware of finding the smoothest line for my riders, in the 14v sometimes I just don't notice how crappy the water is I am pulling them through. Also, the same lack of responsive steering (compared to the 190) can be a positive at times. My wife, who is responsible for loading duties loves how the boat stays in line more than the 190 would when putting it on the trailer. By the way, the trailer is leaps and bounds better than the '01 trailer, especially how the boat sits on the trailer.

I'll try to get some pics in the upcomming weeks, but overall I have been very pleased with the boat. While the ski wake has suffered a little bit, the other positives far outweigh this to me.

JohnE
06-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Good to hear you are so happy with the boat. Sounds like it achieves everything it was designed for.

Yellow X9
06-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I hear ya V-Drive vs. Direct Drive---Myself, I prefer a Direct drive-Love my 05 X-9

shepherd
06-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for that post cds. You answered many questions I had about that boat. I skied behind JohnE's X14 DD once and found the slalom wake (@ 34 mph) surprisingly friendly. I wondered how the X14V would measure up, and also how its surfing wake would be.

sand2snow22
06-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Great review! My only gripe about the X14v is the fact that the back slopes like a DD, then there is a big bump for the V-Drive. Cosmetic. I'm glad this boat fits your needs. I hear Nautique might make a 200 V-Drive? Any truth Eastie?

Mid summer update

Well we got off to a slow start weather-wise this season but we are starting to roll now. I thought I'd give my impressions of the 14v so far this summer. For those who don't know, we moved from a '01 190 to a '10 x-14v to accommodate growing families and friends. four adults and three kids, plus gear in a 190 was getting a little tight.

Skiing
I generally like to ski flat water at 34mph on a 67.5" D3 X5 Pro. If I can plan ahead (read, get all the stuff out of the boat and between 1/2 to 1/4 of a tank of gas) I can get a decent ski wake that is maybe an inch or so taller than my old wake. There wasn't much difference in the hardness of the wake in my view. however, a full boat (gas, people and stuff) greatly affects wake size as does a drop to speeds below 32mph. Also, I would say anybody that can cross the wakes on a good edge needs to ski off the front pylon as it is pretty easy to pull the boat around from the rear pylon. There is no question that this boat is no 190 or 197 but it makes up for it in so many other areas.

Wakeboarding
Okay, I'm no pro (wake to wake 180s and grabs are about as advanced as I get) but even without ballast at 20mph the wake was about double that of our 190. Add ballast and its bigger than I need. Its also nice to be able to balance the boat by adding/subtracting ballast from the port or starboard tanks (although its still quicker to just tell somebody to scoot over). I'm sure anybody who is half way decent could throw inverts all day long behind this boat.

Surfing
This was the great unknown hope going into this boat. I should also mention that I had never wakesurfed before (excluding riding regular surfboards with no intention of dropping the rope many years ago). Well, after trying it three times now I can safely say that I can ride unassisted behind the 14v. With full center and starboard ballast, 1/2 a tank of gas, a driver and two other adults I could throw the rope and keed going. We were riding at 11.4mph and had the adjustment plate at 50%. I am about 180 lbs and was riding a Inland Surfer Blue. I would say the wake was a little over knee high in the sweet spot. I don't know if it will have enough wake for doing any kind of more agressive surfing but maybe with some additional ballast/people, who knows? Besides, I can't do any tricks yet anyways.

Layout
I didn't like the layout when I first say pictures of it, but when we got in one for the first time we liked it alot. After living with it for a couple of months now, we absolutely love it. It is especially nice with the kids. It is a much more social boat if that makes any sense. The full height tower/bimini is much nicer to walk under but doesn't shade the seating area as well as a bimini on a mini tower.

Storage
Holy crap, where to start. The amount of stuff you can store in this boat is unbelievable. We usually have four adults and up to three kids in the boat. With the exception of a baby bag and a couple of towels everything is stored either in the racks or hidden in storage compartments. I can't say how nice it is to not have climb over ropes and equipment to move around the boat. A quick rundown from front to back -
under bow seats: tool kit, mooring lines, 2 super soaker water guns, shoes and a fleece blanket.
rear port locker: four adult life vest, three childrens life vest, three wetsuits (spring), gloves.
rear starboard locker: O'brien 79" towable (deflated) two adult life vest and a cushion (throwable floatation)

Handling
The bad? vdrives are no direct drives. The good? vdrives are no direct drives. While the 190 would turn on a dime and give you nine cents change, the 14v is a much more forgiving riding boat. It handles rough water so much better than the 190 it is almost scary. I kind of feel bad because in the 190 I was constantly aware of finding the smoothest line for my riders, in the 14v sometimes I just don't notice how crappy the water is I am pulling them through. Also, the same lack of responsive steering (compared to the 190) can be a positive at times. My wife, who is responsible for loading duties loves how the boat stays in line more than the 190 would when putting it on the trailer. By the way, the trailer is leaps and bounds better than the '01 trailer, especially how the boat sits on the trailer.

I'll try to get some pics in the upcomming weeks, but overall I have been very pleased with the boat. While the ski wake has suffered a little bit, the other positives far outweigh this to me.

airdrew99
06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Ok, I may have missed this somewhere in this thread, but what are the main differences between the X-14 and the Prostar 214? Is it just the sacs? When I get out of Pharmacy School, my wife and I are leaning toward an X-14 or 214 for our growing family. Thanks.

Drew

JohnE
06-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Ok, I may have missed this somewhere in this thread, but what are the main differences between the X-14 and the Prostar 214? Is it just the sacs? When I get out of Pharmacy School, my wife and I are leaning toward an X-14 or 214 for our growing family. Thanks.

Drew

Same differences as any of the X series vs. thier prostar or non X brothers. X series has ballast, tower, vdig or BIG, and a few other options. Probably a few other options I am forgetting.

Identical hulls.

JohnE
06-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks for that post cds. You answered many questions I had about that boat. I skied behind JohnE's X14 DD once and found the slalom wake (@ 34 mph) surprisingly friendly. I wondered how the X14V would measure up, and also how its surfing wake would be.

I also wonder about the surfing wake. I imagine my x14 can surf the same as the 14v - but I'd need more balst to achieve the same given the weight difference from the factory and the engine location.

BIGBADBLUE
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I skied the X14V yesterday. I did not mess with the plate but here are my observations. I have a 94 205 so that is what I am comparing the X14V to.

At 34MPH 15 off the wake was very slightly larger than my boat, however, very skieable. It was noticably harder than my wake

At 32MPH 15 off the wake was a little bigger but had a wierd dip before the actual wake. I can not explain it.

As it slowed down the wake got bigger than my boat. As I said I did not mess with the plate so that may make a difference They really like the wake boad wake.

Others: it does not drive like my DD that is for sure and the pull up was slow. I think I would upgrade to the MCX if I purchase one. We really like the boat.

sand2snow22
07-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I skied the X14V yesterday. I did not mess with the plate but here are my observations. I have a 94 205 so that is what I am comparing the X14V to.

At 34MPH 15 off the wake was very slightly larger than my boat, however, very skieable. It was noticably harder than my wake

At 32MPH 15 off the wake was a little bigger but had a wierd dip before the actual wake. I can not explain it.

As it slowed down the wake got bigger than my boat. As I said I did not mess with the plate so that may make a difference They really like the wake boad wake.

Others: it does not drive like my DD that is for sure and the pull up was slow. I think I would upgrade to the MCX if I purchase one. We really like the boat.

Should have tried putting the plate down a little......

cdstukey
07-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Should have tried putting the plate down a little......

Agreed. I ski with mine at about 10%. But in his defense, there is a lot of options to try for the first few times out. I'm still getting it all figured out.
As to it being a little slow out of the hole, I noticed that too. The power seems there, I just think that it is a little slower to get on plane than its direct drive cousins since the weight of the engine is further back.

burbey
07-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Mid summer update

Skiing

Wakeboarding

Surfing

Layout

Storage

Handling

cdstukey- I also have a 14v. Live in Denver. Where are you in CO?

I am currently working on the wake surf wake and have been messing around quite a bit. Currently ordering a V Drive sac and plan on removing the factory tanks. 2 purposes. Holds more weight and will help with the ANS inspections as they will be removable. That will leave only the KGB tank which only counts as 2 gallons in their formula. Plus that tank is visible so I should be finally be able to get a green tag.

cdstukey
07-08-2010, 12:25 AM
cdstukey- I also have a 14v. Live in Denver. Where are you in CO?

I am currently working on the wake surf wake and have been messing around quite a bit. Currently ordering a V Drive sac and plan on removing the factory tanks. 2 purposes. Holds more weight and will help with the ANS inspections as they will be removable. That will leave only the KGB tank which only counts as 2 gallons in their formula. Plus that tank is visible so I should be finally be able to get a green tag.

... PM sent

eficalibrator
09-10-2010, 11:26 AM
OK, so I'm seriously looking at getting an X14v. I test drove (skied) an X14v a couple nights ago. I'm coming from a history of direct drives and currently own a 2001 Supra Launch SSV. I run the course occasionally (15 off, 30-32mph) and have friends/family that love wakeboarding. My wife pretty much demands a V drive for the space now that we've had a summer on one. My observations:

Handling: No comparison here. The X14v handles like a Corvette compared to the Supra which feels like a Mustang. The drop keel in the Supra tracks straight fine, but docking and turnaround is so much easier in the X14v with the flatter hull. The X14v isn't as precise as a 19' flat bottom, but it's definitely a world better than the typical V drive. It's still very comfortable cutting through the wake in barbell turns and doesn't knock your teeth out like the older DDs.

Wakeboarding: I ran with full ballast at 21mph and 75' of rope. The wake is definitely softer compared to the launch. It literally feels "squishy" under the board at its peak. Jumps that land short and case the other wake are surprisingly cushioned compared to my boat. Still lots of fun here. I'd just need to take a few sessions to really get used to it and be more confident on the jumps. It probably didn't help that I was just using my slalom rope for the test drive instead of my wakeboard cable.

Slalom: My Launch (with a wake plate) has the typical V-drive "plateau" in the wake compared to the DD's and I've had to learn to absorb it a lot when crossing aggressively. This hurts my ability to hold a hard edge into follow through, but I can still get it done. The X14v still has a plateau, but it's narrower and a touch softer. I found myself cutting like I would behind a DD, but literally jumping the wake if I held an edge like I do behind a a friend's X14 (non-v). The boat I skied didn't have a plate on it, so I'm left wondering how much that might help. We also only had the salesman and my wife on board, so it was as light as the boat's going to get. He mentioned that putting up to 200lbs in the bow might change the attitude of the boat a bit and reshape the wake. If I order one, I think I'd definitely be getting a plate. What have some of the more serious slalom guys done in the setup of the X14v?

sand2snow22
09-10-2010, 01:13 PM
We also only had the salesman and my wife on board, so it was as light as the boat's going to get. He mentioned that putting up to 200lbs in the bow might change the attitude of the boat a bit and reshape the wake. If I order one, I think I'd definitely be getting a plate. What have some of the more serious slalom guys done in the setup of the X14v?

Did you have both or at least one of them sit in the bow? I would have.....

eficalibrator
09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
As much as I REALLY like the X14v overall, the slalom wake is still a big compromise. After talking with the wife, it seems like it might be a better idea to just get a second dedicated slalom boat like an older S&S model and keep a V-drive (that I still might upgrade to a MC) once I move into the lake house. There's just nothing like a lightweight direct drive for slalom skiing no matter how you slice it.

broncotw
09-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I recently purchased a 2010 Prostar 190TT.... I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about the next boat being a crossover boat to accomandate all of my nieces and nephews (14) who are into wake boarding... I was having this conversation with one of the reps at my local MasterCraft dealership (Texas Ski Ranch MasterCraft) and the "FIRST" words out of his mouth was "X14V"..... He went on and on about this performance of this boat not only for skiing but for boarding as well! Since then, I have had my eyes on this boat.... Please keep us posted.....

Yellow X9
09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
"And the original direct drive model has outstanding room and lay out and folks who own one love them. I am sure they will chime in. With a bit more optimistic view of the economy, I would have bought this boat and sold my X-9.

I have an 05 X9- took the X-14 out for the week-end, the M/C dealer was trying to get me to buy. Took it out Friday nite and returned it Sat morning-I'll keep the my X-9. Personally didn't care for it. Just my .02-Nothing personal, if the X-14 is for you, great, just not me

mess33
09-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Just bought a 214 with the x-14 ballast package. Just does not have a tower. I am very familiar with 205's and 209's and neither of them ski as well as the 214. For surfing the 214 has been awesome. We use the stock ballast and add about 2,000lbs. I was unsure about the layout initially but after the first few hours no one in my family would go back. One of the things we really like about the 214 vs a x14v is the DD. If you have ever tried to help new skiers and young skiers crawling over a motorbox is a major pain.

limegreen
09-13-2010, 06:47 PM
One of the things we really like about the 214 vs a x14v is the DD. If you have ever tried to help new skiers and young skiers crawling over a motorbox is a major pain.

Agree totally. The masses say V drive interior layout is more "roomy" but it's just naive. Of course they are roomy because many of them are (*&^%*&^% HUGE boats!!

As stated, the DD gets you MUCH closer to the platform and the DD spreads the people out a bit...in a V they are all right next to you.

Keep the motor in it's correct position...the MIDDLE:D

JohnE
09-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Agree totally. The masses say V drive interior layout is more "roomy" but it's just naive. Of course they are roomy because many of them are (*&^%*&^% HUGE boats!!

As stated, the DD gets you MUCH closer to the platform and the DD spreads the people out a bit...in a V they are all right next to you.

Keep the motor in it's correct position...the MIDDLE:D

I agree completely. The V seems cramped compared to the DD.

10ptmust
09-14-2010, 02:43 AM
I've owned a DD for years and just picked up a v dirve 210 VRS. While I'm not sure that I would say my v drive is more roomy as a result of being a V drive; it is easier for me to manage my 3 and 5 year old in my v drive. It also provides a nice spot on the floor and the sun pad for them to play and talk together.
I can also say I'd rater be behind my DD when atop my Kidder.

gts-20
09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
We bought our PS214 at the winter boat show this year and couldn't be happier. The layout works perfect for us, out for an early morning set, just the two of us, or spending the day on the water with 5 or 6 friends. The slalom wake is amazing for a boat this size, and for our wake boarding friends, we fill the factory KGB ballast tanks, they love it. We water tested the 214v before we bought this boat. The v drive is nice, but we just kept going back to the DD.

eficalibrator
09-23-2010, 10:37 AM
After sleeping on it a few more times, I'm coming back to direct drive more and more. The wife now agrees that adding a tower opens up enough room for when we're out with friends and family (usually wakeboarding, tubing, or two-skis) since we'd be operating from the higher rope position and have the back seat still usable. I still love slalom skiing and even the X14v still feels like a ramp/table/ramp compared to the DD's. For me, it's looking more like an X7 or PS197 (with a tower) since I know that adding ballast or people to just about anything makes for an acceptable wakeboard board, but you'll never make a great slalom boat out of something that's too big and heavy.

cdstukey
09-24-2010, 12:08 AM
MY final thoughts on the great vdrive vs direct drive space debate. As many have pointed out, the DD spreads out the seating area more and the vdrive more centrally locates its passengers. Many of the people who prefer the vdrive (myself included) have noted that they often are out with small children, many of which are under 5 years old. At that age you want to keep them close at hand, ours don't even sit in the bow without at least one grown up there with them. It is too easy for them to forget to hold on or try and "touch" the water and fall out, so closer is better (for them). Conversely, many who prefer the DD have stated that they ski with friends, which I would assume means more adult aged riders who hopefully don't require such close supervision. I have always liked the motor box in the middle, performance aspects aside, it makes a nice table, an excellent foot rest for both the observers and back seats and is my favorite place to sit when not driving. I think the two layouts cater to different crowds. Both boats are perfomance comprises from either true slalom or wakeboard boats, jacks of all trades, master of none. Pick which ever one you like and best fits your situation, and don't slam the other guy for choosing differently. They are both great boats that fill a certian need.
I'd love to still be going out at 6:30am with just me and two buddies in a closed bow 190 to catch the morning glass, but that just ain't happening. So, the best I can do now is load up the buddies, spouses and the kids and go have fun, and honestly, that ain't too bad. A little bigger wake isn't going to kill me. :D

Double D
09-24-2010, 09:03 AM
After sleeping on it a few more times, I'm coming back to direct drive more and more. The wife now agrees that adding a tower opens up enough room for when we're out with friends and family (usually wakeboarding, tubing, or two-skis) since we'd be operating from the higher rope position and have the back seat still usable. I still love slalom skiing and even the X14v still feels like a ramp/table/ramp compared to the DD's. For me, it's looking more like an X7 or PS197 (with a tower) since I know that adding ballast or people to just about anything makes for an acceptable wakeboard board, but you'll never make a great slalom boat out of something that's too big and heavy.

Amen brother!!! DD all the way!!

cdstukey
09-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Sorry for the crappy quality, but here is a video (hopefully) of 14v surf wake - This is stock ballast starboard and KGB full, 3/4 tank of gas, and four adults (back corner, cooler seat, driver, bow) at 11.2mph. You can notice the platform draging a little at the bottom left. We have been adding a 400lb sac in the rear corner and moving people foward lately but thought this might show the base of what to expect. Results should be better on the port side, but we all surf on this side so...

[IMG]http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/?action=view&current=wakesurfing1.mp4[IMG]

direct link here: http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/?action=view&current=wakesurfing1.mp4

sand2snow22
09-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Not working for me. Would love to see it, though....

cdstukey
09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Ok I suck at this stuff, anybody help me out? direct link to photobucket above

-V-
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
bad link, can you just copy and paste it?

cdstukey
09-06-2011, 01:47 PM
bad link, can you just copy and paste it?

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/?action=view&current=wakesurfing1.mp4

-V-
09-06-2011, 01:49 PM
link works, just click

nice vid

sand2snow22
09-06-2011, 03:33 PM
CD, is the Vid with 400 lb fat sac or not?

cdstukey
09-06-2011, 03:59 PM
CD, is the Vid with 400 lb fat sac or not?

Without the fat sac. Stock ballast, 3/4 tank of fuel and 4 people only.

burbey
09-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Here is what I have been able to do with mine.

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i371/burbey/?action=view&current=VideoJul1611912PM.mp4

cdstukey
09-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Here is what I have been able to do with mine.

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i371/burbey/?action=view&current=VideoJul1611912PM.mp4

Show off! Haven't seen you out, what days have you been going out? How much weight was that? Have you done anything with your platform yet? Didn't look like it in that video.

P.s. You video had a much better soundtrack.

burbey
09-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Haven't been out much lately at all. Hopefully I can get out this weekend.

I don't remember how many people were in the boat but with 8 people it is insane.

Yeah I did build a new platform. Was in a hurry and need to do some cleaning up on it this winter but it made a pretty big difference.

The biggest difference maker I have found is putting as much water under the seat down the port side of the boat. I probably am getting about 400 or 500 lbs in it with the sac I have.

Seriously considering adding a pump and possibly solid weight to make that even better for next year.

10.8 on the Zero Off.

Mgboyd25
09-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I have a x7 and put my vote in for a x14 DD aswell. If you want more room the 197/x7 may not be up to size. Make sure to ski the wake on the boat first as its a major jump from the 190. Plus isn't that the best part of the test drive?

mramerman@gmail.com
09-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Without the fat sac. Stock ballast, 3/4 tank of fuel and 4 people only.

Hey Chad, what length board are you riding? I have a CWB entry level board, I am 6'5" / 220lbs and with a solid load of people, port ballast full, KGB full I struggle to get a ridable wave. From the looks of your video, our wakes are similar; however, your board looks longer. I wonder if this would make a difference.

A lot of good points made in this thread regarding V vs DD. x14 vs 197 etc. I moved from a PS190 and the change is big. I recently shortened the rope to 28 off and this has made a big difference... I now feel the wake crossing is closer to the legacy in the 190. I have not driven the 214 DD so I don't have a direct comparison; however, one of our stated family objectives was to have greater range in the boat from an activity standpoint. One of those was cruising---the v-drive does provide better wake management if your day gets choppy.

To be honest, I have been in a bit of funk considering I still ski hard, and found with the v at 15 off I was double pulling to compensate for the bouncing knee wake cross---but at 28 off that is no longer necessary--hard edge and fast cross.

sand2snow22
09-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Have any of you X-14V owners been behind a Malibu VTX? My brother and I took one out a couple of weeks ago and it blew our 2005 X-2 away. Ski wake better, surf wake, incredible, no offense but the surf wave is probably 2-3 times bigger than those shown in the recent X-14 videos in this thread. We had full ballast (starboard rear empty) 750 lb fat sac in the port locker, 2 people in the boat including driver and power wedge in the max setting.

The VTX turns and handles like a sports car, the only thing it doesn't do as well is throw a better wakeboard wake. And it might if we can dial the wake in, I think with the forward swooping tower the rope was too short? No rough water, so hard to tell what it is like in that.....

Wave looked like this, although we weren't running as much weight. I would say our wave wasn't as high, but it was longer.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY3n7wfUtKo

-V-
09-07-2011, 08:55 AM
thats nice. any comments from MC owners that think they have a better wake?

willyt
09-07-2011, 10:03 AM
2005 X2's arent really designed to have a great surf wake. i had 9 people on my boat + KGB, Walkway sac+750 in the port, around 9.5 mph this past weekend in cumberland lake and it was only ok. Honestly best surf wake i've ever seen was behind mattscraft's 09 X2, and personally from what i saw it blows that VTX's surf wake out of the water, as it looks tall but not long (they could lengthen it by going faster... who knows). Hard really to compare surf wakes unless you know the owners have them dailed and really know what they're doing.

cdstukey
09-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey Chad, what length board are you riding? I have a CWB entry level board, I am 6'5" / 220lbs and with a solid load of people, port ballast full, KGB full I struggle to get a ridable wave. From the looks of your video, our wakes are similar; however, your board looks longer. I wonder if this would make a difference.

Matt - This is what I'm riding, not sure how that compares to what you are on, but I really like it.
Inland Surfer
Blue Lake Quad

Height: 5' 3"
Width: 21"
Thickness: 1.75"
Weight: 8lbs

Skill Level: Beginner-Advanced
Rider Weight: 100-250lbs
http://inlandsurfer.com/boards/bluelake-v2.htm

Sand- Those Malibu's have some nice wakes (both skiing and surfing). I haven't got the height that the bu in the video has gotten, but I have gotten pretty close on the length. My tallest wake is just over knee high, with additional ballast and people. I'm guessing I wasn't weighted down anywhere close to what the bu in the video was.

burbey
09-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Here is my wake from yesterday.

10.8 MPH 4 people in boat
400 LBs in stb locker
1100 LB sac in port locker as full as possible
400 LBs under port seat
400 to 500 LBs in the bow
stock KGB ballast full

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_QYv32tlE4

FoggyNogginz
05-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Honestly, I think my surf wave is better behind my 2002 X9 DD. Granted, I am running a LOT of weight for this boat, but it's not too shabby. I was really hoping that the surf wave on the X14-V would be better, because the X15 seems to have a small surf wave, but a tall/washed slalom wake. I'm a hug MC fan, but I'm just not sure that one hull can deliver the magic that we all want in a crossover boat.

Here's my surf wake in the X9 - http://vimeo.com/43373846

mramerman@gmail.com
05-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Honestly, I think my surf wave is better behind my 2002 X9 DD. Granted, I am running a LOT of weight for this boat, but it's not too shabby. I was really hoping that the surf wave on the X14-V would be better, because the X15 seems to have a small surf wave, but a tall/washed slalom wake. I'm a hug MC fan, but I'm just not sure that one hull can deliver the magic that we all want in a crossover boat.

Here's my surf wake in the X9 - http://vimeo.com/43373846

Wow, that is really impressive. How are you setting up your sacks?

I have two fat sacks + stock ballast (not sure the total weight); however, I am certain it isn't 1500 lbs.

cdcarve
05-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Kentcunningham,

I have an 06 x9... Teach me how to set my boat up for that wave!!!! Please! How much weight and where? That's Awesome!

cdcarve
05-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Sorry, just watched again...1500lbs. Where are you putting it?

FoggyNogginz
05-29-2013, 11:03 PM
I have the ski locker full, and then I have one of the FatSac ProX Fat Seats (http://fatsac.com/FATSACS.bifh)from barefoot International in the back of the boat with the starboard leg "folded in" between the engine compartment and the front of the sac. This essentially turns the U shaped sac into an L, with more weight on the port side of the boat. The boat is going 10.5mph on the Perfect Pass, and the cute munchkin in the observer seat adds a bonus 90lbs as well. ;) Happy surfing.

FoggyNogginz
05-30-2013, 12:16 AM
I should add that I also changed props to get this wave, and I tried several before getting one that was good for slalom, but did not wash the surf wave out. I wound up lowering the pitch on ACME's recommendation and it really helped. I guess my question is, can this surf wave be had with an X-14V or an X15 using the lockers? I really want to believe that this can be done. Anyone have pics? It really amazes me how we all have this question yet MC does not have these photos from seven different angles on their website showing speed, ballast, prop pitch etc.

cdstukey
05-30-2013, 12:48 AM
It really amazes me how we all have this question yet MC does not have these photos from seven different angles on their website showing speed, ballast, prop pitch etc.
MC will never post that info because of the liability issue. The first idiot that sunk his boat would sue, saying MC told them it was ok, and win. Kind of like that idiot with 16 people in the bow of his xstar (or whatever it was).

FoggyNogginz
05-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Understood, but they could at least show us the wakes with factory ballast at Wake and Surf speeds. I'm not MC bashing, as I have owned three of 'em, but the marketing team needs to get it together to minimize confusion among enthusiasts and ensure a better customer experience once they finally get it on the water. My opinion anyway. besides, who has time to ski and surf behind four different hulls to determine which is best for the individual? Not me...

cdcarve
05-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks- is the prop a 3 or 4 blade?

cdstukey
05-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Understood, but they could at least show us the wakes with factory ballast at Wake and Surf speeds. I'm not MC bashing, as I have owned three of 'em, but the marketing team needs to get it together to minimize confusion among enthusiasts and ensure a better customer experience once they finally get it on the water. My opinion anyway.

Agreed. Sometimes I think MC tries to be to slick. I don't need the fancy edit video with all the eye candy in the seats. Show me a full ballast/empty ballast comparison at three different speeds and I'd be happier. Set it up in the design a boat section on their web site and make it so you could select different boats and compare them side by side on the same page and people would be estatic.If Msn auto can do it for cars it can't be that hard.

FoggyNogginz
05-31-2013, 01:15 AM
@CDCARVE - I'm running the ACME 209 prop. Diameter: 13" Pitch: 12.5" Cup: .080"

FoggyNogginz
05-31-2013, 01:19 AM
Chad - I agree 100%. I can do without the Hollywood Imagineering....just show me the wakes.

burbey
06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18792700/Photo%20Jun%2023%2C%206%2006%2052%20PM.png

Here is the latest pic of my wake from my 14V

mramerman@gmail.com
06-25-2013, 01:45 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18792700/Photo%20Jun%2023%2C%206%2006%2052%20PM.png

Here is the latest pic of my wake from my 14V

Please tell me the set up here. WOW.

burbey
07-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Custom built platform to stop the platform from messing w the wake. Maybe able to do the same by just raising the stock.

Removed hard tanks in both lockers.

Port locker W719 1100lbs

Stbd locker W713 400lbs

Stock KGB Ballast

Added an additional pump and put the switch in the extra hole in our ballast panel, pump mounted on the port side of the motor towards the front.

Port seat W704 370lbs

Passenger Seat W713 400lbs

10.7 MPH on the Zero Off.

This was with 2 girls in the bow and 2 people one the port seat plus the driver. The approx 200 lbs of extra weight in the bow makes a big difference.

cdstukey
07-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Looks good. What time did you get out? I must have been off before you got out.

ttu
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM
nice wake!!!

do you happen to have a picture of the platform? also are you filling the starboard side when surfing the port side?

thanks!!!

burbey
07-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Don't have a pic of the platform on me, but it is basically an inch wider than the stock platform brackets on each side and about an inch less in depth.

I do fill the stbd ballast when surfing the port side. Helps put in the boat further in the water.

burbey
07-09-2013, 01:53 PM
cdstuckey: I don't remember. I'm home all week for a change, hoping to get out later this week.

FoggyNogginz
08-03-2013, 06:10 PM
@Burbey - where did you get your custom platform?

burbey
08-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Built it myself out of fiberglass.

FoggyNogginz
08-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Very cool. I also just ran the math on your previous post and realized that you have 2270lbs of ballast, and likely around 200lbs in women and 300lbs in men weighting that thing down! Crimeny! :^O Sure is a nice wave though! If you add a cooler full of beer and a tank of gas then you're up to 3000lbs! It's a tank!! Surf on!

mybobtail
08-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I will give you my 2bobs worth . I traded my x14for a 197 I have the opposite problem to you not enough people. but I must say I did love my x14 .was also quite good to ski behind when you consider the size of it