PDA

View Full Version : 40 watt bulb ?

CantRepeat
10-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Has anyone ever heard of this?

Place a 40 watt bulb on in one of thos mechanic lights and put it in the bilge under the engine? I do it now and then turn it on when it will get below freezing at night. Sure I'm in Alabama and we get maybe 3 weeks of weather that cold. I'm sure the guys up north have better ideas but this really seems to work. It puts off enough heat with the engine cover closed to keep it from freezing to badly.

I used to us candles to war a one man tent in korea back in the 80 so I know it's enough heat to take the chill out.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-08-2009, 01:24 AM
In Minnesota we might use a little larger bulb but it will sure do the trick. I suppose you could put your dog under the cover and use his body heat to keep it warm too, but then you would have to clean the carpet in the morning.

mayo93prostar
10-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Yes I have heard of this and used the technique when I it got cold quick and I did not have a chance to winterize yet. 40W in Alabama, 100W up north. Of course there is the risk it gets too hot and melts or sets something on fire. Be careful.

Maristar210
10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I have done this before.........

Seems to offer some peace of mind when it dips below freezing and you don't feel like winterizing just yet...

JohnE
10-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Lots of people do it. Some are afraid that it might ignite if there are gas fumes.....

wiltok
10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
I use this instead - works great and is a lot safer:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1703/Product/GOLDENROD_DEHUMIDIFIER

(btw - just grabbed this link off the web - don't know if they have good prices - I don't remember where I bought mine)

Coupled with one of these and you should be good to go!!!

http://shop.sportys.com/ToolShop/product/10324

thatsmrmastercraft
10-08-2009, 11:34 AM
This is the safe simple answer. You don't have to worry about the light bulb melting anything, or burning out.

Sure the magnetic heater could burn out and I suppose if you were really anal you might have two block heaters. Then you would have to consider a second power source because something could happen to cause you to lose power, so you would have to buy a generator as A/C back-up. Then you would have to buy a second generator as back-up in case the first generator failed or was sabotaged. Next you would have to employ 24/7 security to maintain an impenetrable perimeter. Once you get to this point, its either time to get heated boat storage or move to Montana, buy a small cabin and write your manifesto.

http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/Specialty_Line/Kat/Kats_1153_Magnetic_Block_heater.htm

CantRepeat
10-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't think I would want something at 300 degrees sitting in boat that was unattanded.

nascar
10-09-2009, 12:24 PM
I did that one year in North Carolina with no problems but you are taking a chance if you lose power or the bulb burns out . You might run a few of gallons of the pink RV antifreeze thur the engine for some extra insurance .

CantRepeat
10-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I did that one year in North Carolina with no problems but you are taking a chance if you lose power or the bulb burns out . You might run a few of gallons of the pink RV antifreeze thur the engine for some extra insurance .

I always do. The light bulb is just for the nights that get really cold.

Loffgren
10-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Block heater maybe....Not being smart A****

KHall
10-09-2009, 04:39 PM
block heater might work, it will need liquid around it so it does burn up/out.

99xstar
10-09-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm in GA and I bought my boat late in the season in 2006. I used it past Thanksgiving that year and got caught with cold weather coming and I had not winterized. I used the bulb trick several nights for added piece of mind.

Kevin 89MC
10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
FWIW, I have had a 40 watt bulb inside my engine cover all week. Getting it out one last time this weekend in order to winterize (and go for a final ski), so I haven't winterized it yet. I usually do it around Halloween, but winter has hit here early this year. Kinda sad seeing 3" of snow on the boat cover! Anyways, we have had a few nights get into the high teens/low 20's, so hopefully the 40 watt bulb kept up. I did drain the block after the first night below 32. I'll post back if there are any bad side effects. I've been doing the light bulb trick for 10 years, and haven't had any trouble yet, but this is the coldest I remember it ever getting before Halloween.
Kevin

JimN
10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
FWIW, I have had a 40 watt bulb inside my engine cover all week. Getting it out one last time this weekend in order to winterize (and go for a final ski), so I haven't winterized it yet. I usually do it around Halloween, but winter has hit here early this year. Kinda sad seeing 3" of snow on the boat cover! Anyways, we have had a few nights get into the high teens/low 20's, so hopefully the 40 watt bulb kept up. I did drain the block after the first night below 32. I'll post back if there are any bad side effects. I've been doing the light bulb trick for 10 years, and haven't had any trouble yet, but this is the coldest I remember it ever getting before Halloween.
Kevin

It works but if the bulb breaks while it's on, any flammable fumes will ignite. Better to use a little space heater.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-15-2009, 01:52 AM
A small quartz heater would be a good option.

How about the dipstick heater? Not too much heat, but surely enough to ward off the chance of freezing in the marginal temps. Doesn't have much opportunity to create problems.

Kats 15200 90 Watt, 120 Volt Dipstick Style Oil Heater $12.31 at Amazon.com

I recant my thoughts on the magnetic heaters.........what if the darn thing fell off and landed in the bilge. Would it melt right through the bottom of the boat???