PDA

View Full Version : Home Remodeling Opinion for quick sale

Chief
10-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I am putting my house on the market to sell since I am officially calling my career in the Navy quits at 20.

I want to remove the popcorn ceiling in the major parts of the home (living room, kitchen, laundry room, formal dining room, entry way and the hallway going to the bedrooms) and do a knock down on the ceiling and a orange peel texture on the walls.

My wife wants to update the bathrooms with new fixtures and maybe new cabinets and countertops.

I think the biggest pop for a future home owner would be to walk in see the major part of the house with the knock down and the walls orange peeled and they can update the bathroom.

I will be doing the scraping and masking to save a buck or two. Trick ya wanna help?

Thanks in advance.

coz
10-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Soak the accoustic ceiling with water from a pump sprayer and it'll scrape right off, I do this quite a bit on remodels I do.

Farmer Ted
10-07-2009, 06:23 PM
congrats on the retirement!

I punched in April with 22 years 5 months, still do the same job as NSPS so it doesn't really feel like I retired, just took a cut in pay, take home pay anyway, man it sucks losing the tax free scooby snacks.

any ideas what you'll do when you "retire"

kkkeating
10-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I just got through doing this over 1500 sq ft of ceiling. For the popcorn really soak the popcorn with a garden hose and spray nozzle setting of fine, wait 30 to 40 minutes, and peel off. I've used the sprayer method in the past and the garden hose method works much better. Also, waiting the 30 to 40 minutes will allow the popcorn to come off much easier. You'll need to check the popcorn for asbestos if it was installed in the early eighties or earlier. If you want a list of detailed steps PM me and I'll send you a list.

wakesurfer
10-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Its a messy job, and here in south florida not worth the discount for removing the popcorn our selves, only about $250 bucks discount if you remove it yourself so check it out.
The soaking method with a hose is dangerous, when you scrape if the sheet rock paper is wet it can scratch, peel, and tear ..giving you more probs. The pump sprayer is more work but safer in my opinion. Things are bad enough in the construction industry now that you might be able to get it done cheap. Here in south fla a 2000 sqft house could cost somewheres in the ballpark of $650-800 depending on ceiling height and vault.
As far as bathroom hard ware and cabinets, depending on the rest of the bathroom's updates it is worth it if the rest is a pass. If the rest of the bathroom : tile, colors, tubs, floor, etc...is in outdated or bad shape its not worth it, wont make a big difference to potential buyers.
Hope this helps.
Hard market everywhere to sell a house, very competitive, with totally remodelled houses going for same prices as non updated houses.

coz
10-07-2009, 07:06 PM
I just got through doing this over 1500 sq ft of ceiling. For the popcorn really soak the popcorn with a garden hose and spray nozzle setting of fine, wait 30 to 40 minutes, and peel off. I've used the sprayer method in the past and the garden hose method works much better. Also, waiting the 30 to 40 minutes will allow the popcorn to come off much easier. You'll need to check the popcorn for asbestos if it was installed in the early eighties or earlier. If you want a list of detailed steps PM me and I'll send you a list.

You don't be taking a garden hose in the houses I do :confused: I guess if it's your own house it's ok :rolleyes: you don't want the water soaking in too long, you'll start seeing the tape joints comming apart and it's not good for the drywall to soak in that water (= mildew/mold), 30-40 minutes is to long.

trickskier
10-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I am putting my house on the market to sell since I am officially calling my career in the Navy quits at 20.

I want to remove the popcorn ceiling in the major parts of the home (living room, kitchen, laundry room, formal dining room, entry way and the hallway going to the bedrooms) and do a knock down on the ceiling and a orange peel texture on the walls.

My wife wants to update the bathrooms with new fixtures and maybe new cabinets and countertops.

I think the biggest pop for a future home owner would be to walk in see the major part of the house with the knock down and the walls orange peeled and they can update the bathroom.

I will be doing the scraping and masking to save a buck or two. Trick ya wanna help?
Thanks in advance.

Just say when.............:D

Chief
10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
congrats on the retirement!

I punched in April with 22 years 5 months, still do the same job as NSPS so it doesn't really feel like I retired, just took a cut in pay, take home pay anyway, man it sucks losing the tax free scooby snacks.

any ideas what you'll do when you "retire"

Congrats on your retirement too. I will be doing some mobile communications work in Charleston SC.

I know what ya mean on the tax free loss!

sethro
10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Just got done doing this in our home. My neighbor (he has a drywall side business) took me to a home he just did where he didn't scrape the old popcorn all the way off down to smooth drywall...basically just scraped off the highpoints (or lowpoints if you are looking up ;))

Then sprayed the knockdown texture and painted. I was very impressed, but most importantly my wife said that is what she wanted so that's what we did.

I had scraped one bathroom ceiling to bare drywall prior to having him show me the other house, and I prefer the finished product of the other ceilings that weren't scraped bare.

TX.X-30 fan
10-07-2009, 07:54 PM

What???? 30 years of paint has not encapsulated it? Are you in remediation?? :D

kkkeating
10-07-2009, 08:09 PM
I figured the garden hose method would bring some comments and I would have agreed with them a couple of months ago before I started my project. I had a professional come in to texture the walls and told me that’s how his company removes popcorn and I thought he was crazy. Due to the texture companies schedule and the fact that my sprayer broke down at 8:00 in the evening I had no choice. Surprisingly, the method work better than I thought. Getting the hose into the house was no problem, just wiped it off as I was bring it into house. I was able to spray the areas quickly and after waiting the 30-40 minutes the popcorn came off with minimum effort or pressure without having any damage to the ceiling. No problems with the taping or mold; actually the ceiling dried quickly. I have not figured out why, I’ve done more damage to the taping with the spraying method using half the water! Part of the problem I’ve had is not putting on enough water and scrapping too hard. Our humidity is quite dry this time of year, so this may have helped out.

Removing popcorn is no fun. There are some companies that specialize in this and I would get some pricing to see if the savings are worth the headaches.

As for encapsulation, if it has thirty years of paint, I'd let the wife remove it! Never had to remove painted popcorn; I sure it's a pain as the moisture never reaches the popcorn.

Another recommendatin, don't start the project in mid-august; it really messes up the boating time!

Wake2wake
10-07-2009, 11:53 PM
if the popcorn has been painted I have had the best luck mixing a little simple green cleaner in with hot water and then spraying it down. even then though it still doesnt want to come off. if it hasnt been painted its an easy job but very messy and time consuming. as far as the hose, if it works for you go for it. ill stick to the sprayer. i have had to many sprayers fall apart to risk flooding the house.

As I am sure you already know, the most bang for your buck in this situation is paint and flooring.

and like everyone else has said. If you have any questions just shoot me a pm. I have much more experience in this than i would like.

Chief
10-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Just got done doing this in our home. My neighbor (he has a drywall side business) took me to a home he just did where he didn't scrape the old popcorn all the way off down to smooth drywall...basically just scraped off the highpoints (or lowpoints if you are looking up ;))

Then sprayed the knockdown texture and painted. I was very impressed, but most importantly my wife said that is what she wanted so that's what we did.

I had scraped one bathroom ceiling to bare drywall prior to having him show me the other house, and I prefer the finished product of the other ceilings that weren't scraped bare.

Seth,

Have any pictures of the job? Sounds interesting.

sethro
10-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Well, I just tried take some photos...as you might expect it doesn't show up very well. The first two are from not scraping the ceiling to the bare drywall, and the last one is of the bathroom where I had already scraped it to the bare drywall.

Finnsdad
10-09-2009, 09:06 AM
In my opinion more people look down than up. I think new flooring would have a more noticable impact on sales price and time on market (which is just as important). Dark wood floors are very popular right now, and you can get some very nice engineered flooring for around $3/SF. Do that and paint the trim white, people won't even notice the popcorn celing.

east tx skier
10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Kitchens and bathrooms is where it's at when it comes to resale. I think your wife was on the right track. Not saying the ceilings aren't a nice update, but you've got to compete with those other houses with the granite countertops and new fixtures.

wakesurfer
10-28-2009, 08:13 PM
I saw a sign here in palm beach county for granite it says: granite $19/sq ft installed!!!! too bad i have a big kitchen and not enough money...

bcampbe7
10-29-2009, 09:25 AM
I saw a sign here in palm beach county for granite it says: granite $19/sq ft installed!!!! too bad i have a big kitchen and not enough money...

That cheap price must also include the Radon gas! :)

wakesurfer
10-29-2009, 03:59 PM
who knows it might come from China, it would nt suprise me. Didnt know radon was in granite?

BriEOD
10-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Congrats on your retirement too. I will be doing some mobile communications work in Charleston SC.

I know what ya mean on the tax free loss!

Congrats! We lived in Charleston for 5 years and loved it! Where are you looking to live?