PDA

View Full Version : Those of u in CA. do u winterize...?

Joe in Dublin
10-07-2009, 02:12 PM
First year of having my boat. Its on my side yard covered. Do i need to winterize. plan on going out at least once a month just to be on the water.....

Sodar
10-07-2009, 02:16 PM
First year of having my boat. Its on my side yard covered. Do i need to winterize. plan on going out at least once a month just to be on the water.....

Where in California will help determine the climate you will encounter.

If you live in Tahoe, yes winterize.

If you live in San Diego, throw some sta-bil in and call it done.

If you line in Dublin, I would throw some sta-bil in it and drain the block if you see sub freezing cold snap coming.

Joe in Dublin
10-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Im in dublin...
thanks

bigmac
10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Wish I could remember where I read it, but I hear that there are more block freezes as a percentage of boat owners in California than in Minnesota.

jeverett
10-07-2009, 02:59 PM
We used to live in Pleasenton and all we did was throw a small shop light in the engine compartment and blow out the heater with compressed air on low (30-45psi max). Do you go to the Delta or where do you ride?

BigJon
10-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I live in the valley (not too far from dublin) and am wondering the same thing. If I run the engine for a second right after I get out of the water and it blows most of it out, is that good enough or is there somewhere else where water might be trapped?

JMann
10-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I live in pleasant hill and I do put stabil in the gas, drain the block and exhaust, then spray some fogging spray in each cylinder. I turn the engine over once so the fogging spray coats the cylinder walls and unhook the battery. I do wash and wax, change the impeller, and any tune up stuff, plugs, wires, trailer maintance before I park it so come the first warm day I'm ready to go.
I have a friend with a BU that lives in Livermore and he tells me I'm wasting my time. He starts his for a minute to "blow the water out of the engine" and parks it for the season.
I have heard the same thing about cracked blocks in Ca, but in Dublin it doesn't stay cold enough long enough to freeze hard enough for the block to crack.

Loffgren
10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Nope I dont although boat is in garage not much climate change in there, insulated doors etc.... I may do some fuel stabilizer though

kkkeating
10-07-2009, 05:50 PM
If the boat’s in Dublin and you’re going out once a month I would not worry about winterizing. I’m in Sacramento and I’d say 99% of the boating people don’t know what winterizing is. You do need to watch the weather and take the proper precautions in the event a cold spell hits. Back in the early nineties it got down to the low teens here in Sacramento and it caused a lot of problems. I know of a few people who froze their blocks during this time. Typically, over the last couple of years it gets down to the low thirties/high twenties during the nights for maybe two or three days straight. During the days it’ll get up to the low forties/high thirties. This only happens once or twice during the year. Our boat is on a lift on the Sacramento River and during these brief low temp times I’ll put a small electric heater on the boat just so I’ll be able to sleep at night.

The other issue is if you go out during the winter months and you get the interior wet it’s going to take a while for the boat to dry out. When we go out, afterward I’ll put the electric heater in the boat, put the cover on, and let it run for a week just so it won’t stay damp for weeks at a time.

Joe in Dublin
10-07-2009, 06:06 PM
I run out of Orwood around Disco bay. May head out tomorrow early afternoon

Joe in Dublin
10-07-2009, 06:07 PM
U guys with the heaters and lights dont worry about fuel fumes and explosion....

ejg333
10-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I live in Brentwood and I change the oil and filter fogg the cylinders add stabil to a full tank and run for about 10 min remove the impeller and disconnect all of the raw water hoses to drain...I have the closed cooling system so no need to worry about my block. been doing this for the last four years and no problems as of yet. also I am always willing to go out or looking for extra people for more ballast let me know. I usually go out of Orwood too!

btriantos
10-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm in Livermore, and only use Sta-bil, but I end up taking the boat out every 30-45 days just for the heck if it. I may not get in the water, but I do get the boat running on it. I also just got my 100hr done, so the oil is fresh, impeller in new, etc. I keep it in indoor storage, otherwise I would change my strategy.

JUST-IN-TIME
10-09-2009, 03:23 AM
going to be a cold wet winter

drain the blocks and manifolds and v-drives, no need for anti-freeze

bigmac
10-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I agree that antifreeze in the block is probably unnecessary. It likely does cut down on corrosion, and probably does add some life to the RW impeller, but following MC's draining directions alone surely will be sufficient to prevent block damage from freezing.

I do think that antifreeze has real benefit for heater cores, showers, and ballast systems, however. And there's no water to drain from any of MC's current transmissions, V-drive or direct drive.

hkallestad
10-09-2009, 07:54 AM
I guess you should cange the engine oil and filter if you leave it to sit all winter

btriantos
10-09-2009, 10:35 AM
U guys with the heaters and lights dont worry about fuel fumes and explosion....

Joe - Where are you storing your boat, in Dublin? Do you use the boat in the off season at all?

Swimmer
10-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Boat stays in Bakersfield for the winter, so, yes we winterize it.

Archimedes
10-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I have a related question, as my boat stays in heated storage with a zero chance of freezing, so I was considering not draining the block. Everyone says you should drain it anyway to avoid rust. What about boats that are used year round and basically have water in the block all the time? Do they rust?

flipper
10-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm in the southbay, and drain my block. It only gets below freezing maybe a couple days out of the year but that's all it takes.

tlcrichardson
10-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Well I live in Maine and we winterize of course. I plan on leaving mine in a heated garage all winter. I still winterize, because if we are on vacation and the power goes out. That could ruin the vacation and next summer. So just go the extra and protect that boat. Becareful for that freak power out

JUST-IN-TIME
10-09-2009, 06:31 PM
tranny's have no drain, all v-drives have drains, big bolt underneath it, just feel for it

bigmac
10-09-2009, 07:35 PM
ZF Hurth V-drive transmissions need to be emptied of oil using a suction pump if the oil is being changed. Unless that oil is being changed, there is no winterization of those transmissions.

JUST-IN-TIME
10-09-2009, 07:47 PM
yes correct, it is an oil cooled tranny, not water cooled like walters

MariStar-Man
10-10-2009, 11:19 AM
tranny's have no drain, all v-drives have drains, big bolt underneath it, just feel for it

I'm also in the Bay Area and covered Storage for me baby. I changed oil, tranny fluid, and was going to drain water but should i do it from this yellow thing or find that bolt talked about below?
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/1999%20Maristar/DSC01067.jpg

and where is that drain bolt located on the engine in the following pic?
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/1999%20Maristar/Parts%20and%20Engine/DSC01151.jpg

Lastly, we never use the Shower, has anyone ever just capped it off?
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/1999%20Maristar/DSC01096.jpg

bigmac
10-10-2009, 11:32 AM
The yellow thing is the quick disconnect that is there to make it easier to drain the manifolds so you don't have to remove any manifold plugs.

The bottom picture looks like one of the block drains - appears to have a fitting added as a hot water source....shower maybe? I think you have to remove that to get the block to drain., maybe then blow some air or pump some propylene glycol through the unit that red hose is attached to.

Ramhouse
10-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I live in southern Calif....in the 48 yrs of boat ownership i have never winterizwd!
Not to say that if you live in Northern CA where it will snow, but you said you were going out once a month, guess no snow.

JMann
10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Adding a question to your thread sorry. I just drained my block and exhaust manifolds and the water was pretty rusty but I think its pretty normal.
My question is would you leave engine valves open and the exhaust manifold plugs off during the winter or close everything back up?

JUST-IN-TIME
10-12-2009, 09:26 PM
leave them open

tlcrichardson
10-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Maristar Man. Plug wire on #7 cylinder loose?

Eastbayboarder
10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I live in Dublin ca. We had a bad year so the boat sat for a good year and a half unwinterized. When we finally took the cover off it required some maintenance and cleaning but no damage was done to the engine or block. It rarely freezes in dublin. I just start it up every couple of weeks over the winter.

MariStar-Man
10-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Maristar Man. Plug wire on #7 cylinder loose?

Yes it has been tightened Thanks!