PDA

View Full Version : Rudder change ?

kingwoodlee
10-07-2009, 10:09 AM
On my 2005 x-10, when I turn to the right to go pick up a skiier, the boat carves a nice tight right turn, but when I do the same thing with a left hand turn, I have to really apply pressure to the steering wheel and then the boat still carves a huge turn to accomplish this. I know this is a v-drive and it is not going to turn as well as my old Supra comp, but this is ridiculous. I read somewhere that upgrading to a 2006 x-10 rudder would solve this problem. Anyone know if this is true? Any other suggestions.

bigmac
10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Putting the 2006 bigger rudder in my boat certainly decreased the torque effect on my boat, and decreased steering effort. The downside is a tendency to "wobble" at higher speeds. That's a rather unsettling feeling, but is at least partially solved by adding a little right pull to the rudder by grinding down the right trailing edge a little.

kingwoodlee
10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks bigmac,
My x-10 has zero pull and tracks as straight as an arrow. I can let go of the wheel at any speed and it has no tendancy to turn. A hard turn under power to the left is the big problem. If you are pulling a skier at 23mph with the perfectpass on and you turn to the left, it takes a huge amount of area to turn around and go the other way. We ski on a narrow river and it takes up the whole river to turn around to the left. On the other hand, turning around to the right is tight and takes up very little river space. We have compensated by slowing down a little to drop the boat down, making the left turn and then slowly powering back up to 23mph. If you try and turn around tight to the left and leave the perfect pass on, the boat will skip and the perfectpass paddle wheel looses contact with the water causing the perfectpass to freak out for awhile until it catches up and can reset to 23mph. Usually when this happens, the boat momentarily speeds up to the throttle setting and this compounds the whole problem even more. On a big lake, I would just make a sweeping left turn and not worry about it, but on our river I need to turn around as tight as possible to avoid traffic and shallow water near the bank.

bigmac
10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks bigmac,
My x-10 has zero pull and tracks as straight as an arrow. I can let go of the wheel at any speed and it has no tendancy to turn. A hard turn under power to the left is the big problem. If you are pulling a skier at 23mph with the perfectpass on and you turn to the left, it takes a huge amount of area to turn around and go the other way. We ski on a narrow river and it takes up the whole river to turn around to the left. On the other hand, turning around to the right is tight and takes up very little river space. We have compensated by slowing down a little to drop the boat down, making the left turn and then slowly powering back up to 23mph. If you try and turn around tight to the left and leave the perfect pass on, the boat will skip and the perfectpass paddle wheel looses contact with the water causing the perfectpass to freak out for awhile until it catches up and can reset to 23mph. Usually when this happens, the boat momentarily speeds up to the throttle setting and this compounds the whole problem even more. On a big lake, I would just make a sweeping left turn and not worry about it, but on our river I need to turn around as tight as possible to avoid traffic and shallow water near the bank.

Your problem may lie elsewhere than the shape of the rudder. My buddy has a 2004 X-10 with the same rudder as yours. I drive it a lot, as recently as last Thursday, and although it does take a little more effort left turn vs right turn, it is by no means difficult to turn tightly.

I wonder if part of your problem may be binding in the rudder port, or perhaps a problematic steering cable. In your case, before dropping the $$ for the new rudder (and possibly new rudder port), I'd give your rudder port a couple of shots of grease with a lever-type grease gun, and I'd strongly consider replacing the steering cable.

kingwoodlee
10-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Yea, I'll check that out. The cable spins easily without any problems left or right sitting still. I don't feel any binding at all. I did look at the rudder box last night and could not find a zerk fitting. The rudder feels a little loose in the shaft if I wiggle it from below. I'll also check the rack under the dash for a grease fitting.

Jerseydave
10-07-2009, 07:33 PM
When I had my '03 230VRS, it also turned alot harder to the left than to the right. I replaced the rudder with the newer style larger one and it helped alot.

The other thing I noticed while looking at the boat from the stern is that the rudder is offset from the prop shaft (to the left). They don't line up at all. Take a look at yours and see if it's the same way. I was told it's offset to compensate for prop rotation.........although my '05 X-star is not offset. :rolleyes:

bigmac
10-07-2009, 11:13 PM
.........although my '05 X-star is not offset. :rolleyes:

Must have to remove the rudder to change the prop and/or prop shaft, then?

kingwoodlee
10-08-2009, 10:31 AM
That's what it sounds like.

bigmac
10-08-2009, 11:00 AM
If true, I think it would be the only MasterCraft model that DOESN'T have the rudder offset from the centerline. Not sur3e why they'd do it differently for just that one model, though...

bturner2
10-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I changed the rudder on my 03 X2 to the larger rudder on the 07 X1. Made a huge difference (for the good).

tph
10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
If true, I think it would be the only MasterCraft model that DOESN'T have the rudder offset from the centerline. Not sur3e why they'd do it differently for just that one model, though...

Older boats but '83 is not offset and '89 is offset.