PDA

View Full Version : Help diagnose 87 tristar not starting -electical?

TRISTARX
10-06-2009, 06:35 PM
I have a 87 tristar that was running fine until the other day. While going about 15mph the volts suddenly dropped to nothing and the engine died. My first thought was the altenator. So I put a fresh battery in and I get nothing, no volts, not even enough to put the accesories on. When I put the terminals on the battery I noticed I was not even getting a spark when I touch the wires to the battery terminals. I checked the button on the electrical circuit board in the back of the engine. I pushed it to make sure that was not problem. I also checked the one fuse on the circuit board and it was ok. I am not getting and voltage from a fresh battery. Could it be the ignition? I replaced the selenoid and starter last year as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

88 PS190
10-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? Sounds like the first one was fine if you were cruising along and it suddenly died.

Typically you only get spark on a terminal if there is some voltage draw, two wires not connected to anything won't spark at all if you put them on the terminals.

Do other things in your boat work? Bilge, blower etc?

I'd strongly suggest checking the kill switch tether.

TMCNo1
10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Check the kill switch!

JimN
10-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I have a 87 tristar that was running fine until the other day. While going about 15mph the volts suddenly dropped to nothing and the engine died. My first thought was the altenator. So I put a fresh battery in and I get nothing, no volts, not even enough to put the accesories on. When I put the terminals on the battery I noticed I was not even getting a spark when I touch the wires to the battery terminals. I checked the button on the electrical circuit board in the back of the engine. I pushed it to make sure that was not problem. I also checked the one fuse on the circuit board and it was ok. I am not getting and voltage from a fresh battery. Could it be the ignition? I replaced the selenoid and starter last year as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You checked the button on the breaker, but did you check the breaker itself?

thatsmrmastercraft
10-07-2009, 01:17 AM
Sounds like a battery cable not connected or completely corroded. I was on vacation and the resort owners Tige' had the same problem. Turned out to be the cheap factory clamp-on connector came free of the ground wire going to the block. This should be relatively easy to find.