PDA

View Full Version : Individual mufflers for an X2?

Thrall
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
So the list of winter projects for the new boat is growing! Given that I have to remove the Silentmaster big @ss muffler to get at the impeller (every time for the next 20 years!), has anyone replaced this with 2 individual mufflers?
Not looking to make the boat louder, although a little more noise would be fine, it's quiet as a mouse right now.
Who's done this? Where did you get new mufflers? Looks like they'd have to be pretty short with an angled outlet.

Kevin@MWMC
10-06-2009, 11:58 AM
So the list of winter projects for the new boat is growing! Given that I have to remove the Silentmaster big @ss muffler to get at the impeller (every time for the next 20 years!), has anyone replaced this with 2 individual mufflers?
Not looking to make the boat louder, although a little more noise would be fine, it's quiet as a mouse right now.
Who's done this? Where did you get new mufflers? Looks like they'd have to be pretty short with an angled outlet.

Check out this thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32494

Didn't really get many responses. Ski Dim didn't have the right diameter mufflers, and the ones from Rexmar were too short in length.

I called the MC dealer close to me and they said I could get 2 OEM smaller mufflers to put in. So I did that, went to pick them up and it ended up being the one BIG muffler that crosses in the back. Wasn't too happy, but put the muffler on anyway and it does sound nice. A lot better then the straight pipes that were on there!

Thrall
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Saw your thread goliath. The rexmar ones look a little spendy and didn't see an angled outlet (but I didn't call them).
Yeah, I don't want straight pipes (but Captains Call would be nice sometimes!:D), but would like to ditch the big muffler. On my old boat, ever since I saw it eat a vane off of a relatively new impeller, I check the impeller once or twice a season, especially if I ran in some crappy water with debris in it. Now I didn't even take it out yet for winterizing, just left the cover off. What a PITA for the most maintenance sensitive part on the boat!:(

Roonie's
10-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I am curious why you have to take off the mufflers to do an impeller change? I have an 07 and I don't need to take off the mufflers to change the impeller? You just lean over the top and have full access at the back of the engine. No need to take off the mufflers for this.

trickskier
10-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I am curious why you have to take off the mufflers to do an impeller change? I have an 07 and I don't need to take off the mufflers to change the impeller? You just lean over the top and have full access at the back of the engine. No need to take off the mufflers for this.

You must have a lot more room between the muffler and impeller than I do. I too am considering dual mufflers. No way to change my impeller without removing the muffler. I'll post a pic later.

MCOC
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM

Here is a picture of the individual exhaust for 2009. It would make changing the raw water impeller much easier. You can contact MasterCraft of Charlotte 704-525-6660 for pricing and availability. Hope this helps.

Kevin@MWMC
10-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Saw your thread goliath. The rexmar ones look a little spendy and didn't see an angled outlet (but I didn't call them).
Yeah, I don't want straight pipes (but Captains Call would be nice sometimes!:D), but would like to ditch the big muffler. On my old boat, ever since I saw it eat a vane off of a relatively new impeller, I check the impeller once or twice a season, especially if I ran in some crappy water with debris in it. Now I didn't even take it out yet for winterizing, just left the cover off. What a PITA for the most maintenance sensitive part on the boat!:(

Yeah, I don't get that either. I saw how hard it was going to be to change the impeller after the muffler went on. So I changed it right then and there before I put the new muffler on last month. I should be okay now for a little while, but it is really a PITA from here on out.

That is why I was looking into getting the 2 seperate mufflers, there is a ton more room back in the engine compartment. I was a little peeved when I picked up the muffler from the dealer and saw one big one, and not 2 little ones. He told me they changed the exhaust half way through 2004 and this was the muffler that was the correct one for my boat. They didn't have the 2 individual mufflers anymore. Oh well.......

bturner2
10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
The 07 used baffles in the tips. No muffler on the engine. The problem with this design is that the welds break and the baffles fall out. I'm waiting for this to happen on mine then will most likely have to upgrade the tips and buy mufflers. If someone prices these out please post.......

Thrall
10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Here is a picture of the individual exhaust for 2009. It would make changing the raw water impeller much easier. You can contact MasterCraft of Charlotte 704-525-6660 for pricing and availability. Hope this helps.

Thanks MCOC, that's what I'm looking for. How much louder are the new boats than the older MCX's with the big Silentmaster?

And the 07's don't have mufflers? Baffles in the chrome tips? How loud?

bturner2
10-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I like mine, not to loud but still has a rumble to them. I'll be dissiponted when they go bad. I found this picture of the back of the boat. You can see the extended tips but the angle is bad and too dark to see the center of the exhaust. These were the ones that had no flappers. They had the baffles welded in and had a round plate in the center that had a MC engraved in them.

Thrall
10-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Ok, I've seen those. Probably a pricey upgrade to add to the boat considering the chrome tips are like $500 from MC!

bturner2
10-06-2009, 06:09 PM
They're actually polished stainless steel (which I'm pretty sure is going to cost even more) and can only imagine what they cost at the dealer. I'm hoping I have the magic pair and they won't go bad. If they do I'll be looking at the new set up in the 2010 boats. Can't imagine that will be cheap either.

TMCNo1
10-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I like mine, not to loud but still has a rumble to them. I'll be dissiponted when they go bad. I found this picture of the back of the boat. You can see the extended tips but the angle is bad and too dark to see the center of the exhaust. These were the ones that had no flappers. They had the baffles welded in and had a round plate in the center that had a MC engraved in them.
Ok, I've seen those. Probably a pricey upgrade to add to the boat considering the chrome tips are like $500 from MC!
They're actually polished stainless steel (which I'm pretty sure is going to cost even more) and can only imagine what they cost at the dealer. I'm hoping I have the magic pair and they won't go bad. If they do I'll be looking at the new set up in the 2010 boats. Can't imagine that will be cheap either.

Rex Marine, http://www.rexmar.com/page230.html, SST 142F-12-30 12 degree flange with Superflapper™ 3" hose $ 145.89ea. ea

JimN
10-06-2009, 08:19 PM

Why not just buy the impeller removal tool?

trickskier
10-06-2009, 08:29 PM

I don't know about his set-up. But on mine there isn't enough room between the muffler and the impeller housing to get the tool in there

Thrall
10-07-2009, 12:25 AM

Guess I've never seen one. I just use 2 screwdrivers or needlenose pliers.
On my boat, the muffler is sitting almost dead center behind the rw pump with less than an inch clear from the pump cover to the muffler. Not even enough room to slide the impeller all the way out before it hits the muffler.

Witness140
10-07-2009, 04:15 AM
Here's pics from my 09' X2 with the mufflers. The second two photos were taken by putting the camera behind the engine. Kinda illustrates how much room there is to work back there now.

In terms of sound comparison, I had an 06' MCX in the 197 with the rubber baffles, then an 07' 197 with the tips, spent a lot of time in the 08' disaster with and without mufflers, 07' MCX with tips in an X2, and now this 09'. By far the loudest was the stock 2008 MCX in the TT 197 before the mufflers were added. I kinda think that the 09' MCX in the X2 with the mufflers is similar to the 07' X2 with the tips. The 09' might be a little throatier, but not louder if you know what I mean.

bturner2
10-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Did MC source the tips from Rex?

Kevin@MWMC
10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
I don't know about his set-up. But on mine there isn't enough room between the muffler and the impeller housing to get the tool in there

Guess I've never seen one. I just use 2 screwdrivers or needlenose pliers.
On my boat, the muffler is sitting almost dead center behind the rw pump with less than an inch clear from the pump cover to the muffler. Not even enough room to slide the impeller all the way out before it hits the muffler.

Same situation on mine too. There really is no room what so ever to get anything in there.

Thrall
10-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks Witness 140. Yeah removing that big muffler will open up the whole back of the engine. I know what you mean about the sound. You can hear the rumble more, but not a loud drone like you got your ear up to the tailpipe.

wheeler
10-07-2009, 10:54 AM

There is NO WAY that the impeller removal tool will work. There is simply not enough room. there is about 1 inch between the impeller housing and the muffler. Either the muffler or the motor is coming out...:noface:

JimN
10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
There is NO WAY that the impeller removal tool will work. There is simply not enough room. there is about 1 inch between the impeller housing and the muffler. Either the muffler or the motor is coming out...:noface:

I think it has been covered by the first 8 posts that said there's no room and I don't have one of these boats here to look at, so......

wheeler
10-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I will be looking into the single seperate muffler for each manifold as discussed in an earlier post.

That single large muffler gets in the way of more than just the impeller.....