PDA

View Full Version : wakeboarding question from new owner

LaRue
10-05-2009, 06:09 PM
this summer we upgraded from a I/O Sea Ray to a Maristar. It does not have a tower. My 14 year old son just started wakeboarding this summer as did I. Question, am i nuts for not having a tower or will we be able to improve our height and distance off the ski pole? I would prefer to wait a year before putting on a tower but if it is going to a major limiting factor to a bunch of teenage boys who are just begining to move from tubing and kneeboarding to wakeboarding, i might begin stragegizing about how to approach the wife. that said, next summer promises to be far better than the past due to the fact of a higher performance boat. Appreciate any feedback you can give. By the way, if anyone has a wakeboard with comfortable bootsfor a 220lb dad , i would be interested in buying it for a personal Christmas present. :D

mpabreo
10-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Go with the tower, unless you're a ways from learning wake to wake jumps. The elevated tower connection will allow you to learn handle/body placement the correct way as you progress. Plus it will keep your boat from being cluttered with boards :)

craigdk1
10-05-2009, 06:31 PM
beginners should be fine with out a tower for a season or two. then when clearing the wake, or at least getting some good air, it will be time to step up! not having a tower won't keep you from learning to jump.

corey
10-05-2009, 06:41 PM
When I started riding towers didnt exist, actually neither did extended pylons. We still had a blast and progressed pretty good. When you are first starting to ride learning proper edging is more important than a high rope tow, in fact the original Byerly extended pylon was shorter than the rest as it was supposed to be better for handle pass spin moves (the rope was more at the height of the handle) For your first full summer I'd work on edgine properlly and loading the boat with some extra people to create a bigger wake.

I'd hold tight and do some research into which tower is the one you want and then get that one when the time is right. It's expensive to repair holes in the fiberglass so once you mount your tower you better love it.

That being said once you have a tower you'll never go back, the ability to store boards, skis and your mirror are almost better than the high tow point and to be honest they just look cool.

bturner2
10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Don't rush into a tower. Not sure how long your season is but ours is almost over. Having a tower will make things easier but getting the right tower is more important than rushing into getting one installaed. There are several companies that make great products. Make sure you get the right one for you the first time.

hester
10-05-2009, 07:29 PM
but if it is going to a major limiting factor to a bunch of teenage boys who are just begining to move from tubing and kneeboarding to wakeboarding,

Towers are worth every penny but there is no reason to rush the purchase. If they give you a hard time about it have them watch the video of Scott Byerly in 1994. Check out post #1 in this thread for a link to the video.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21756

LaRue
10-06-2009, 12:59 AM
appreciate the feedback. looks like next summer will be learning technique and saving for tower, New Dimensions?

hawaiianstiln
10-06-2009, 01:29 AM
I learned to go w2w and started/attempted backrolls behind an old glastron boat in 1991. You don't need a tower just yet. But if you got the $$$$ then why not. :)

Jerseydave
10-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Once you get a tower you'll wonder how you got along without it. The upward pull makes a huge difference, you can rack 4 boards out of the way, it helps with resale value (tell the wife that) plus you'll be a cool dad! :)

New dimention for sure! Dont bother with Monster, cheap for a reason.