PDA

View Full Version : replacing clarion M5475

LaRue
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
from reading previous posts, it appears the Clarion M5475 will not work with an ipod. Many of you switched out to a Clarion M475. Still the way to go? HOpe to have tower speakers in a year. Any suggestions?

brucemac
10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I have the m475 but choose not to use the optional iPod adapter. I've never found an interface that is half as good as the iPod itself. I run iPhone and iPod through an is75 adapter that charges it as well as provide USB and/or mini-Jack output. all in all the m475 is okay if keeping your remote(s) is important to you.

LaRue
10-05-2009, 06:13 PM
boat i just purchased has the M5475 and if i can't use an ipod, i wan't to replace but want to replace with a unit that i can build a system around. Just not sure what is the unit of choice

nmcjr
10-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I went with the m475 and it has been fine. I used the integrated ipod cenet controller so i could use the previous/next function on the remote. The nice thing about the m475 is that it uses the same wiring harness and remote as the 5475 so it is a 10 minute install.

One other thing I like about the m475 is that it plays MP3/WMA on CD's. I now use this instead of an ipod because the sound output is much louder.

swatguy
10-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Also went with the M475. I go through the aux jack as well. All the interfaces that are compatible I have run across are not nearly as user friendly as the ipod itself. As others have stated a direct plug and play with the older unit with remotes.

Larue
I am not a stereo guru by any means, but the m475 has some great features. The biggest negative that I see is the lack of RCA inputs. I would have liked to seen even just one set. However on the flip side they have 3 outputs which is nice for building a system. As far as head units that just pop right in and need no mods to wired remotes I think this is one of the top. However if you wanted a pro top of the line sytem there are def better ones. For me, the average joe who likes clear, crisp tunes with decent gear this works fine. Pushes my 2 Kicker amps, that run my Polk interiros ,Polk sub and HLCD tower speakers just fine. I am not winning any comps, but it does sound great. I do notice a difference in sound volume between the actual Ipod connection through the aux and running a straight CD. The CD is much louder and crisper at volumes. Just an ipod glitch thing though not a head unit glitch.

LaRue
10-08-2009, 12:11 PM
so a recorded CD sounds better but the M475 does have an 1/8 jack that i can plug an IPOD into? in addition, the unit will allow me to add tower speakers and an amp at a later date?

brucemac
10-08-2009, 06:24 PM
iPod sounds good on it. Yes you can add and upgrade later with it.

swatguy
10-08-2009, 06:24 PM
For sure. The sound volume/quality part isn't beacsue of the head unit. Its because of the Ipod software and settings that are in the Ipod itself. It by no means sounds"terrible" at all. So don't let that be a negative point. Just the volume is able to get a bit louder with a CD. Again by no means does the IPOD sound like crap. It does have the 1/8 aux jack right in front on the faceplate. I ran a cord straight from headunit across under the floor to the driver's side dash so my Ipod is right at my fingertips just to the right of the steering wheel.

AS to adding that stuff....this unit will do exactly that with ease.

nmcjr
10-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Just to expand on this and be a little more clear, I have not once second guessed my decision to put this deck in, and I just added $4500 is new stereo gear this year. It all sounds great.

LaRue
10-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks Guys!:D

LaRue
12-14-2009, 10:01 PM
time to breath a little life back into this thread.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the clarion M5475. I puchased a clarion m475 thinking it utilized the same wiring harness but it does not. Any help out there?