PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Question

ktn_cmu
08-17-2004, 05:26 PM
I have a 1992 351 HO carburated engine in my boat (285 hp). I have been told the ignition system (4 coils, some type of ECM, and a crackshaft sensor in place of a distributor) needs to be replaced but that the computer is no longer used (obsolete). They want me to convert to a traditional (one coil, distributor) electronic ignition. Is there a source for the computer that I had as original equipment? Thanks!!!

Kyle

Thrall
08-17-2004, 06:31 PM
I think someone's pulling your leg. If your boat is infact a 351 Carb, it has no ECM or multiple coils. Someone's confusing your engine w/ something it's not.

Edit: Jim's onto something, I might be all f...ed up here.

JimN
08-17-2004, 07:04 PM
You have a PCM motor and it's not a Mastercraft, right? Are the coil packs red?

ktn_cmu
08-18-2004, 10:20 AM
You are right, it is not a Mastercraft :o I was trying to get by without saying that. I know MC is the best, and not only that, but MC has the best advice too...hmmmm. However, yes it is carburated and yes it does have four coils. The coils are mounted on top of a computer (electronic control module), which is in turn mounted on a bracket at the rear of the engine. The carb is a holley dual inlet single pumper (not sure of the model number, but it is aluminum, and has no gaskets below the fuel level). Where the distributor should be (in front on a ford) there is what looks like a distributor, but with a flat cap, and no plug wires (as they go back to the coils). Any ideas...can I get the computer still??? Any drawbacks to coverting to a traditional electronic ignition? Other ideas??? Thanks.

Kyle

Edit: Oh...and no, they are black...

JimN
08-18-2004, 10:31 AM
I would be checking with Supra and Nautique dealers for these parts, since they will be more familiar with them and would know better where to get replacements. Skidim may be able to help, as well. I know someone with this system on his boat, but somehow think he would be less than happy if they were removed.

A distributor for a Ford Marine motor should work in place of the pickup that's already there.

Whatever you decide on, if you call around for replacement parts, you will need to give them the existing part numbers in order to cross-reference.

Sorry I was wrong on the color but,.....

ktn_cmu
08-18-2004, 11:01 AM
No Problem on the color error!!! I just appreciate the advice! Yeah, Supra and Nautique dealers are where I "should' be checking, but they are always trying to sell me something, I wanted advice from a trustworthy source that has nothing to gain by misleading me...

JimN
08-18-2004, 11:09 AM
I'll send you a bill. :D

So, make them think you'll be buying the parts from them. If they can get them and the price isn't too bad, it may be easier to just replace with original parts. Ask for the price of replacing with a conventional distributor/coil setup, too. Get part numbers so you can shop for best price, but if they're helpful, that should count for something.