PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Kitchens?

skeeler
10-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Probably not the right time of year for this, but was looking to see if anyone else has put in an outdoor kitchen. We are in the process of having an in ground pool put in, and thought an outdoor kitchen would be a great addition. Just wanted to get some ideas from all you diy's out there. Thanks for any input! :D

BriEOD
10-05-2009, 12:03 PM
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm

rodltg2
10-05-2009, 12:05 PM
this is my favorite outdoor kitchen we did. may have something to do with the private ski lake in the backyard as well!! someday...............

skeeler
10-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Ya, looking at something like that. Maybe shorten the bar area up a little, but that's the idea.

flipper
10-05-2009, 01:53 PM
this is my favorite outdoor kitchen we did. may have something to do with the private ski lake in the backyard as well!! someday...............
That's a nice set up. Wouldn't want the bill for that one:D

Sodar
10-05-2009, 01:58 PM
That's a nice set up. Wouldn't want the bill for that one:D

Cousin Max gave them a good deal!

Jimmauburn
10-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Glad you brought this up Skeeler, I am going to build a house in 2010 and I also am giving alot of thought to an outdoor kitchen since we spend so much time outdoors. Any ideas or extras anyone has please let us know. I am open to just about anything and know alot of you have some good thoughts.

SkiDog
10-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Here's one that I just finished, although the owner did not want to put the grill in it. Its got a sink, fridge, and 47" hi def TV speakers that surrounfd the pool area. Its finished now and I gotta get some final pics of the finished product.

skeeler
10-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Skidog - Nice, what kind of wood did you use?

SkiDog
10-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Skidog - Nice, what kind of wood did you use?

The beams and rafters are standard pressure treated 4x6's and the rest of the wood is all cypress.

KnoxX2
10-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Skidog that looks like crap................ I would never hire you!!!! Its not even finished!

SkiDog
10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Skidog that looks like crap................ I would never hire you!!!! Its not even finished!

You don't read things do you? You just lookie @ the pretty pictures?:(

dougl
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Perfect timing - I'm the process of doing the same thing (Pool/BBQ/...) - Thinking about a poured concrete top for the BBQ/Bar, but the granite top does look nice.

I'm struggling with location. 1st design had the BBQ about 35 feet from the back door, near a fire-pit and spa to take advantage of the view (house is on a ridge) and create a separate entertaining area. I was thinking its better to have it closer to the house, especially when it's raining in the winter.

SkiDog
10-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Perfect timing - I'm the process of doing the same thing (Pool/BBQ/...) - Thinking about a poured concrete top for the BBQ/Bar, but the granite top does look nice.

I'm struggling with location. 1st design had the BBQ about 35 feet from the back door, near a fire-pit and spa to take advantage of the view (house is on a ridge) and create a separate entertaining area. I was thinking its better to have it closer to the house, especially when it's raining in the winter.

If it raining AND winter time, wouldn't it be better to be INDOORS?:confused:

KnoxX2
10-05-2009, 03:31 PM
You don't read things do you? You just lookie @ the pretty pictures?:(

I don't know I did see a Pic of your LED light install!!!!:rolleyes::D

dougl
10-05-2009, 04:42 PM
If it raining AND winter time, wouldn't it be better to be INDOORS?:confused:

We don't get a lot of rain - and when it does I don't think I'll melt running outside to flip a steak over.. :)

TX.X-30 fan
10-05-2009, 04:49 PM

Yes close to the house/kitchen is nice since that's where the food will come from. I built my own on a slow week with a couple of my guys. I used metal studs for the frame and supports, had all my cutouts printed from PDF's of the grill, fridge, and sink. I also lined the inside with hardi panel so if the storage areas got wet it was no big deal. I finished the top, front and sides with flagstone to match the stone on the patio. Had two electrical outlets one on each side. They came is handy for all kinds of stuff like using the deep fryer outside.

Got a pic somewhere but not on this lap.

dougl
10-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks - yeah an outlet is a must for the wife's blender. Did you go with a fridge made for outdoors - or just a regular one? The one's made for outdoors seem to be pricey compared to an indoor one, but I wonder how well an indoor one will hold up outside in the elements?

Yes close to the house/kitchen is nice since that's where the food will come from. I built my own on a slow week with a couple of my guys. I used metal studs for the frame and supports, had all my cutouts printed from PDF's of the grill, fridge, and sink. I also lined the inside with hardi panel so if the storage areas got wet it was no big deal. I finished the top, front and sides with flagstone to match the stone on the patio. Had two electrical outlets one on each side. They came is handy for all kinds of stuff like using the deep fryer outside.

Got a pic somewhere but not on this lap.

SkiDog
10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't know I did see a Pic of your LED light install!!!!:rolleyes::D

Come to the DS so I can abuse you properly and stop jackin this thread!

TX.X-30 fan
10-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks - yeah an outlet is a must for the wife's blender. Did you go with a fridge made for outdoors - or just a regular one? The one's made for outdoors seem to be pricey compared to an indoor one, but I wonder how well an indoor one will hold up outside in the elements?

I did both. :D You need to get a fridge thats UL rated for outdoors period. Atleast in Tx. I had to, the indoor one kept the beer at about 60. I had a uline and it would freeze a beer on the lowest setting.

dougl
10-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I did both. :D You need to get a fridge thats UL rated for outdoors period. Atleast in Tx. I had to, the indoor one kept the beer at about 60. I had a uline and it would freeze a beer on the lowest setting.

wife gets the blender - I get the cold beer, sounds fair to me.

alletric
10-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Still needs granite countertops, appliances, brick pavers but you get the idea.

alletric
10-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Green Egg and open pit

alletric
10-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Another picture of the hut

alletric
10-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Flat screen and stereo

alletric
10-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Last one for now

BriEOD
10-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Nice! How are the mosquitoes?

alletric
10-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Depends when you are talking about. I'm sure december will be nice. Man when you live in south Georgia it would be like complaing about the heat. What the hell are you going to do about it?

TX.X-30 fan
10-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Alleric that is very cool, nice job. The ceiling fans will do great for the mosquitoes.

TX.X-30 fan
10-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Bri EOD is a little selfish sharing his blood.

east tx skier
10-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I'll go ahead and suggest a double faucet beer setup. Some sort of cover for the tower would be preferable to keep the fruit flies out. They have outdoor under counter models for a handsome fee.

nmcjr
10-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Just finished ours a couple months ago. Used all hardware with the exception of the fridge from bullbbq.com, purchased from wholesalepatiostore.com, good guy. The Bull stuff is on the less expensive side and a friend of mine has had his for 5+ years. I have been quite happy with it. Steel studs, hardiebacker walls with one-coat stucco, went with slate top due to the increased expense of granite, especially the bull nosing, since it is 17' long. Here are some pics, let me know if you would like more info.

dougl
10-07-2009, 11:11 PM
nmcjr - Nice job, I like the look of the slate and accent tiles.

nmcjr
10-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks Doug, this was my first ever, and it is a surprising amount of work! I did the design work, and a very skilled friend of mine helped with the construction. Its actually pretty tough to fit all the hardware into the design when you have to consider clearances for other items such as the sink drain, drawers etc so I would suggest using a drawing tool such as CAD or Visio and draw it to scale.

You menitoned accent tiles, and I felt it was important to fill in most of the stucco with doors/hardware and the tiles rather than having a lot of blank stucco. The tiles are an inexpensive way to accomplish this, while the doors are quite expensive.

In case anyone wonders, the door on the couter top is a drop in cooler with a drain, which adds extra cooling capacity for larger parties.

dougl
10-08-2009, 11:18 AM
In case anyone wonders, the door on the couter top is a drop in cooler with a drain, which adds extra cooling capacity for larger parties.

How well does the cooler work in the heat? I can imagine the ice melts pretty quick on hot day? By the way yo you drain the sink into the landscape drain or did you plumb it into the house drain system?

nmcjr
10-08-2009, 03:31 PM
The cooler seems fine so far. the top is pretty well insulated and the sides are inside the island. I ususally only use it for evening entertaining as the beer fridge has lots of capacity.

As to the drain, well, it depends who's asking ;) Yes, I ran it into the lanscaping drain as not much goes in there, just washing hands and bbq tools etc. I tapped into the electrical and gas from the kitchen which is adjacent, ran it out the wall then underground, saved a lot of trenching.

wakeX2wake
10-09-2009, 01:25 AM
just curious... are there any special precautions you guys have taken for freezing temps for appliances/pipes/etc? outside of maybe a small heater in plumbing areas etc.

i know that in many parts of the country it isn't issue but i'm afraid it would be in many other parts...

Jorski
10-09-2009, 11:12 AM
In cold climates...you generally set them up with drains, and an indoor shut-off for winter.

snork
10-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Just keep the tap flowing:D

TX.X-30 fan
10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks Doug, this was my first ever, and it is a surprising amount of work! I did the design work, and a very skilled friend of mine helped with the construction. Its actually pretty tough to fit all the hardware into the design when you have to consider clearances for other items such as the sink drain, drawers etc so I would suggest using a drawing tool such as CAD or Visio and draw it to scale.

You menitoned accent tiles, and I felt it was important to fill in most of the stucco with doors/hardware and the tiles rather than having a lot of blank stucco. The tiles are an inexpensive way to accomplish this, while the doors are quite expensive.

Is there any storage under the umbrella? Looks very nice and yes its a bear to fab out of the metal studs and get the right support and all the cutouts dead on. I was very happy when the 53" grill slipped right in with three of us holding it. And the gas hole lined up.

nmcjr
10-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes, there are a set of double doors on the back side, so there is a ton of storage under there. Plus, the doors allow access to be able to get to the sink etc. underneath if needed later.

alletric
02-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Anybody know what the standard counter top height is for a bar? I havent got the bar stools yet but have to lay the brick structure under it now and wondered if anybody knew what if any is standard?

TMCNo1
02-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Anybody know what the standard counter top height is for a bar? I havent got the bar stools yet but have to lay the brick structure under it now and wondered if anybody knew what if any is standard?

PM Skidog, he should know.

alletric
02-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Will do. Thanks.

SkiDog
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Will do. Thanks.

The 'standard' is around 42'' high. A kitchen counter top is 36'' and a bar top is usually around 5-6''higher.