PDA

View Full Version : Adding a battery switch

BigJon
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
So I have encountered a dead battery twice at the docks, even though I have a new battery. Something is obviously draining my battery when not in use. i have a 1994 prostar and someone relocated the battery next to the gas tank behind the rear seat. So its a pain in the rear to take that out to charge or do anything.

I am wondering how hard it would be to wire a switch to the positive lead that goes to the engine. Lifting the doghouse is alot easier than lifting out the rear seat. If I could locate a switch there it would be a lifesaver. Also can you hook up your charger there somewhere instead of directly to the battery posts?

MCVOLS
10-05-2009, 11:27 AM
On my previous boat ('93 PS 205) the battery was located next to the gas tank on the port side. I added a second battery in the same location, with a switch that was mounted inside the port storage/ski locker. To access the switch, I would reach into the storage, where it was mounted on the blockoff. This worked great for me for several years. This way, the switch was near the battery making the install simple, and it was not seen, but still easy to get to.

flya750
10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
What about weight distribution? two batteries in the back corner?... heck.. I can tell what side the boat the cooler is on AND I can tell how many full beers we have left too...;)

MCVOLS
10-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I guess I let the cat out of the bag about how good a skier I am! I would love to be at a level where I could notice that, but unfortunately, I am not, so it was never an issue for me.

Miss Rita
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Overtons has a battery switch that would work great. It's on sale, only $17. You can put it on either the positive or negative cable. You'll need to use heavy duty terminals.

http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/medium/32965_M1.jpg