PDA

View Full Version : Car opinions again

ProStar190Fan
10-04-2009, 11:41 PM
All of you may have noticed my recent thread about yukon 2500's (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32576)

i am still looking at the GMC yukon xl 2500 but have also started to look at Ford excursions, mainly because of the room and the diesel engine. I have heard many pluses and minuses about each diesel engine, main points are the 7.1 seems to be more "bullet proof" than the 6.0 but the 6.0 has slightly high mpg and hp. I am looking for pluses or minuses from personal experience or knowledge of the engines.

I know that this is the mastercraft forum but i trust the opinions on this site much more the any other forums. and yes i have posted on the ford forums as well.

Thanks for the input,

Thrall
10-05-2009, 02:18 AM
I've known very few people happy with the 6.oh no. Find a nice 7.3 (made them until early 03 models). If you do get a 6.0, get teh later models (o5-06).

Ski-me
10-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Excursions ride MUCH stiffer than 3/4 ton suburbans. Be sure to test drive one.

Also, I think the earlier engines are a lot louder than the later ones.

Like I said in a previous post.....my friend went from a V-10 Excursion to the 07' Caddy and LOVES it so much more than the Ford. This is a guy who has all F250's or F350's in his business fleet. Also has an old Ford Bronco uncut. Pretty much a Ford guy. He now jokes, he is a "Caddy" man now. That's how much he loves the truck.

Just a thought.....

dummy
10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
One other thing to consider is the Excursion's turning radius. It's huge - especially the 4x4 model. This isn't so much a function of the vehicle length as it is the need to limit the steering stops to keep the tires out of the widely-spaced front leaf springs. The only 2WD Excursion I've driven was lifted and that turned like a battleship as well, but that could be from the lift. I never stuck my head under the front bumper to see. Definitely test drive one to see if you hate it.

Even when new, the 6.0L Powersmoke has an arsenal of troubles. Three of my buddies own 'em. One with an Excursion and two with F-350s. One of the F-350s is an '05, so I wouldn't call the 6.0L safe until '06. All three have been in for numerous issues ranging from injector pumps, injectors, turbos, head gaskets, CPS issues, and several transmissions. When they work, they work really well and deliver excellent power and mileage, but when they don't they really don't.

cmw
10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Definitely test drive. I just upgraded from a 95 to a 07 Tahoe. What a difference. The turning radius, ride and interior is so much nicer than when my 95 was new. I keep cars for awhile and have never had problems with Chevrolet. I've owned Fords also with no major problems. I looked at the excursion also and everyone said look for an older one with the 7.3, but I could not get over the tan dash or the interior. I tend to buy exactly what I want and hang on to it. I even plan to build/restore the 95 I liked it so much. Good luck in finding what you want.

captain planet
10-05-2009, 01:37 PM
All of you may have noticed my recent thread about yukon 2500's (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32576)

i am still looking at the GMC yukon xl 2500 but have also started to look at Ford excursions, mainly because of the room and the diesel engine. I have heard many pluses and minuses about each diesel engine, main points are the 7.1 seems to be more "bullet proof" than the 6.0 but the 6.0 has slightly high mpg and hp. I am looking for pluses or minuses from personal experience or knowledge of the engines.

I know that this is the mastercraft forum but i trust the opinions on this site much more the any other forums. and yes i have posted on the ford forums as well.

Thanks for the input,

I've known very few people happy with the 6.oh no. Find a nice 7.3 (made them until early 03 models). If you do get a 6.0, get teh later models (o5-06).

My cousin has had his 6.0 L torn apart twice because of blown head gaskets.....it might be important to add he has a Banks kit on it. :rolleyes:

G-man
10-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I had a Ford 6.0 for 14800 miles before engine was replaced under warranty. Love my Chevy now with 33000 miles and no problems. If you go Ford get the early 7.1 engine

Kevin@MWMC
10-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Excursions ride MUCH stiffer than 3/4 ton suburbans. Be sure to test drive one.

Also, I think the earlier engines are a lot louder than the later ones.

Like I said in a previous post.....my friend went from a V-10 Excursion to the 07' Caddy and LOVES it so much more than the Ford. This is a guy who has all F250's or F350's in his business fleet. Also has an old Ford Bronco uncut. Pretty much a Ford guy. He now jokes, he is a "Caddy" man now. That's how much he loves the truck.

Just a thought.....

Sounds like me! I had 2 Fords (F-150,F-250) before I switched to my Cadillac Escalade EXT. And I gotta say that the Cadillac is AMAZING!!! Drives like a luxury car, and has all the luxury features but pulls like a Mac Truck. It is AWD all the time, which is perfect for winters up here in MN. Really good on gas mileage compared to trucks, even with AWD. Cadillac is my choice now and I will never own anything different.

On the original question, I have a friend who had the 6.0L in his truck, 2003 I believe. And that thing was horrible, 3 blown head gaskets, went through 2 turbos. Truck is long gone now. It was really not a good engine.

ProStar190Fan
10-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, i am going to test drive a 7.3l diesel tomorrow. Will post after i test drive the final results.

Hrkdrivr
10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
It really is a Ford vs Chevy argument. It really comes down to what you like.

They do ride rougher than GMs and they do turn like battleships, but the room inside is great and the long wheel-base make them great toy-haulers.

We own two Excursions and we love them both.

We bought a 2000 w/the v-10 engine and the 3.73 LS rear end. It's a gas-hog but it would pull my house off the foundation if I wanted to. We bought it new in Alaska and pulled a 27' travel trailer (~9000# loaded) from AK to NJ, then moved from there to Arkansas and then North Carolina. Never one problem. Those "10 pounding pistons of power," as I like to call them, get the job done without even breathing hard. Most of its life that engine just loafs along as my wife's daily driver. 10 mph not towing, ~8 mph towing. (145,000 miles and still going strong).

We also bought a 2004 Limited w/the 6.0 PSD when it was 2 years old w/~44,000 miles on it. Shortly after I bought it, I had the turbo replaced and haven't had a problem with it since then, about another 55,000 miles. The only other problem was the electronic climate contol panel went out, but that was replaced under warranty too. 18 mpg on the highway not towing, 14 mpg around town, 13-14 mpg on the highway towing 6000 - 9000#.

Many of the stories I've read about blown heads and/or head bolts on the early 6.0s were usually associated with people re-mapping the brain with flash programmers or otherwise modifying the engine for more power. I've heard (I'm not an engine guy, so cut me some slack here) that the 6.0 is programmed to use more of its capable horsepower all the time, something like 90%, whereas the 7.3 maxes out at about 65% - 70%. What that means is when people tweak the 6.0, they might be pushing it towards its ulitmate capability and causing failures. Don't know if that's tru or not, but I read it on the internet so I believe it...lol.

Good luck with your search. The Ex is a great truck; too bad they're not making them any more or I'd buy another one.

ProStar190Fan
10-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Went into test drive a 00 Excursion, the dealer could not get it started, dead batteries or so he says:rolleyes:, got to look over the car for a long time and the space up front is awsome. Hopefully i can get down to the dealer again tomorrow and actually test drive it.

Thrall
10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Many of the stories I've read about blown heads and/or head bolts on the early 6.0s were usually associated with people re-mapping the brain with flash programmers or otherwise modifying the engine for more power. I've heard (I'm not an engine guy, so cut me some slack here) that the 6.0 is programmed to use more of its capable horsepower all the time, something like 90%, whereas the 7.3 maxes out at about 65% - 70%. What that means is when people tweak the 6.0, they might be pushing it towards its ulitmate capability and causing failures. Don't know if that's tru or not, but I read it on the internet so I believe it...lol.

Good luck with your search. The Ex is a great truck; too bad they're not making them any more or I'd buy another one.

I've heard the same thing and being out west, ALOT of people have diesels. The better 6.0's are teh 05-06 engines and many don't have issues at stock levels, but many still do. That just increases with power adders. Makes me believe that, yes, the engine is operating close to it's capable power level bone stock. IMO, that's not a good thing. Seems, especially for a diesel truck, you'd want the drivetrain overbuilt for it's intended use.
7.3's, Duramaxes, and Cummins are built much stronger than required for stock power levels.

Plus it's just too d@mn fun and easy to add power to a diesel! It's like having a truck and a muscle car all wrapped up in on nice package!

To PS190fan, if you're looking at older models in the midwest, you owe it to yourself to expand your search outside of the rust belt. You can get an equal mileage/condition vehicle for the same $$ and it won't be rusting out by the time you drive it home!

Ski-me
10-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I've heard the same thing and being out west, ALOT of people have diesels. The better 6.0's are teh 05-06 engines and many don't have issues at stock levels, but many still do. That just increases with power adders. Makes me believe that, yes, the engine is operating close to it's capable power level bone stock. IMO, that's not a good thing. Seems, especially for a diesel truck, you'd want the drivetrain overbuilt for it's intended use.
7.3's, Duramaxes, and Cummins are built much stronger than required for stock power levels.

Plus it's just too d@mn fun and easy to add power to a diesel! It's like having a truck and a muscle car all wrapped up in on nice package!

To PS190fan, if you're looking at older models in the midwest, you owe it to yourself to expand your search outside of the rust belt. You can get an equal mileage/condition vehicle for the same $$ and it won't be rusting out by the time you drive it home!

Agreed. I bought my 3/4 suburban from a guy in Madison Wisconsin. It was only a few years old at the time but I was VERY surprised to see surface rust all over the frame and bolts. Definitety something that surprised me. Vehicles around here (Colorado/Wyoming) just don't have that underneath rust.....especially on the newer trucks. It didn't break the deal for me but still noticed it for sure.

Datdude
10-08-2009, 01:04 PM
try www.lenzauto.com

If they don't have something, they will find it for you

bdecker
10-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I think you're comparing the 7.3L Diesel(Ford) to the 6.0L Gas (GMC). I drive both regularly and get similiar gas mileage in the 06 Denali as the 02 F350. The SUV is probably handicapped by full-time AWD. Much quicker accelaration in the 6.0L and significantly better turning radius. The oil pan rusted out in the Ford, but it's a bit older. Otherwise, I think the two have been pretty reliable. I'm a big fan of diesels but if your towing a 190, either will be fine. I was getting 13.5 with the Yukon with a box on top and the 197 behind, and can coax 16 out of it with neither. The Ford seems stuck on 15.6-15.7 regardless of what's in it or behind it. I probably drive it a little slower as it really needs another gear on the highway... My Yukon could use one more as well, but it's really noticable in the Ford at 75mph.

Ski-me
10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I think you're comparing the 7.3L Diesel(Ford) to the 6.0L Gas (GMC). I drive both regularly and get similiar gas mileage in the 06 Denali as the 02 F350. The SUV is probably handicapped by full-time AWD. Much quicker accelaration in the 6.0L and significantly better turning radius. The oil pan rusted out in the Ford, but it's a bit older. Otherwise, I think the two have been pretty reliable. I'm a big fan of diesels but if your towing a 190, either will be fine. I was getting 13.5 with the Yukon with a box on top and the 197 behind, and can coax 16 out of it with neither. The Ford seems stuck on 15.6-15.7 regardless of what's in it or behind it. I probably drive it a little slower as it really needs another gear on the highway... My Yukon could use one more as well, but it's really noticable in the Ford at 75mph.

The 07' Caddy or Denali has the 6.2L AWD with a six speed. I think the extra gear or two helps with the mileage quite a bit.