PDA

View Full Version : Floor panel behind cover Replacement options

93LT-1
10-04-2009, 08:55 PM
I need to replace the floor panel behind the engine cover. The original is an aluminum panel. The aluminum has corroded and the inner substrate has deterorated. Has anyone found a replacement panel?

thanks

mayo93prostar
10-04-2009, 09:04 PM
I have heard of using marine plywood or Starboard. I have to replace mine too this winter. I plan to use marine plywood and coat it with fiberglass resin. I trailer my boat and it is kept in the garage when not used so I am not worried about it rotting out. Hopefully someone else will come along with some other ideas or sources.

93LT-1
10-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I was thinking of using teh starboard, but when I saw orginal the aluminum panel, I wondered about how much exhaust temperature is there?

TMCNo1
10-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I was thinking of using teh starboard, but when I saw orginal the aluminum panel, I wondered about how much exhaust temperature is there?

Not enough to even think about. The aluminum was used for it's light weight, strength and the fact it's not wood, not for any heat related factors. If that was the case any boat prior to the use of aluminum probably would have burnt to the waterline.

east tx skier
10-05-2009, 10:18 AM
What about using HDPE. You could go to Target and grab a big cutting board made of this stuff. Not incredibly light, but not wood either.

TMCNo1
10-05-2009, 10:28 AM
I would imagine a teak section as a substitute, made to fit and slotted like a older platform, would be a great feature, with it's ability to drain and offering some additional bilge ventilation.:rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
10-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I would imagine a teak section as a substitute, made to fit and slotted like a older platform, would be a great feature, with it's ability to drain and offering some additional bilge ventilation.:rolleyes:

You would just have to make sure that the most recent application of teak oil had been fully absorbed so you don't end up doing tumble turns inside the boat.