PDA

View Full Version : LTR 330HP - doesn't start like it used to

NeilM
10-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi guys,
Well I'm up over 825 hours on our 2002 Maristar 210 with the 330HP LTR. It has been a fantastic boat for Wakeboarding, Wakesurfing, Slalom, and, of course, just cruisin'.

I change plugs every year and oil every 50-60 hours,
PCV valve gets replaced every 2 years,
Impeller every year.

The last dealer tune up it had was at 200 hours.

Now it's getting a little cranky when cold. I've NEVER had to add throttle to start the engine until lately.

The dealer is 400+ miles away. Are there common things I should look at replacing on the EFI system (eg. IAC?) or elsewhere?

JimN
10-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi guys,
Well I'm up over 825 hours on our 2002 Maristar 210 with the 330HP LTR. It has been a fantastic boat for Wakeboarding, Wakesurfing, Slalom, and, of course, just cruisin'.

I change plugs every year and oil every 50-60 hours,
PCV valve gets replaced every 2 years,
Impeller every year.

The last dealer tune up it had was at 200 hours.

Now it's getting a little cranky when cold. I've NEVER had to add throttle to start the engine until lately.

The dealer is 400+ miles away. Are there common things I should look at replacing on the EFI system (eg. IAC?) or elsewhere?

How old are the plug wires?

NeilM
10-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Jim, they're original. They look perfect, but....
I suppose that's a good place to start?

thanx,
N

JimN
10-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Jim, they're original. They look perfect, but....
I suppose that's a good place to start?

thanx,
N

That's way too long for one set of wires.

PerryBpilot
10-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Please post your findings after making the wire change. I have a 230 Maristar with the same engine. She has been wonderful, knock on wood.........

NeilM
05-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Well, the snow's melted and I phoned the local Washington dealer to find how much the plug wires are:

Two Hundred Bucks from MasterCraft....

Does anyone have an alternative for a 2002 Indmar LTR?

thanks!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Check with the guys at http://skidim.com/

Dougsster
05-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Neil,

Before I replaced the plug wires I would measure their resistance with a volt meter. Taylor wires are listed as having 350 ohms resistance per foot, pretty easy to check.

Two years ago I started having a stalling problem cold with my 330ltr, I took it to the local Indmar dealer as the local Mastercraft dealer is hours away and they replaced the idle air control valve which made no difference what so ever. The also did a compression and leak down test which revealed nothing.

At this point I knew the idle circuit was good, the ignition system was good - new plugs and
the wires tested good plus the engine never mis-fired, it just stalled when put into gear. I figured the only thing left was the fuel injectors.

I removed them and sent them to a firm in Kent Washington (http://www.witchhunter.com/) that was able to test them before they ultrasonically cleaned them and retested them. It was less than $200 and the boat runs better now than it ever has. The print out of the injector performance before and after was night and day.

I dont understand why I had this problem as I am religous about keeping the tank full, using stabil fuel additive and I actually dump the fuel everyspring into my pickup truck and run the boat on fresh fuel every year!

Good Luck!

Doug

JimN
05-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Neil,

Before I replaced the plug wires I would measure their resistance with a volt meter. Taylor wires are listed as having 350 ohms resistance per foot, pretty easy to check.

Two years ago I started having a stalling problem cold with my 330ltr, I took it to the local Indmar dealer as the local Mastercraft dealer is hours away and they replaced the idle air control valve which made no difference what so ever. The also did a compression and leak down test which revealed nothing.

At this point I knew the idle circuit was good, the ignition system was good - new plugs and
the wires tested good plus the engine never mis-fired, it just stalled when put into gear. I figured the only thing left was the fuel injectors.

I removed them and sent them to a firm in Kent Washington (http://www.witchhunter.com/) that was able to test them before they ultrasonically cleaned them and retested them. It was less than $200 and the boat runs better now than it ever has. The print out of the injector performance before and after was night and day.

I dont understand why I had this problem as I am religous about keeping the tank full, using stabil fuel additive and I actually dump the fuel everyspring into my pickup truck and run the boat on fresh fuel every year!

Good Luck!

Doug

That resistance is most useful for new cables and these aren't solid wire, AFAIK. The problem with plug wires is that, being carbon, they often crystallize and fracture, allowing a motor to run at low RPM but not being able to pass high frequency electrical impulses. Since the motor has the Northstar ignition system, it has no coil wire to a distributor and these are most often affected because that one wire needs to pass 40,000 impulses at 5000 RPM. I would look into the IC module's grounding.