PDA

View Full Version : Optima Batteries

Archimedes
10-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Well I've had it with Optima Blue Tops after my second one went bad. Left the boat sitting for 45 days, nothing on, drops to 3 and now won't hold a charge. Same problem I had last time. I went with the deep cycle because I only want a one battery set up and I want to run the stereo when we float; the Blue Top was good for that, but I can't keep dropping $200 on a battery. So now I need an alternative.

Do most of you guys use Interstate?

FrankSchwab
10-03-2009, 07:28 PM
It doesn't matter what battery you put in the boat; if you don't find the electrical draw that's draining the battery in 45 days, you're going to destroy whatever new battery you install.

/frank

TX.X-30 fan
10-03-2009, 07:40 PM
The optimas do suck though.

bigmac
10-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say they suck, they're just laughably overpriced for what they are.

TX.X-30 fan
10-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say they suck, they're just laughably overpriced for what they are.

Indeed....

GNAT87
10-03-2009, 09:23 PM
No, they suck. I've got one in my weekend car and stays dead. They are POS.

scott023
10-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Interstate is the way to go. WE had two Optima BT's in the 45 when we bought it, they have both been replaced (since July). I think the Optima's are POS also.

bturner2
10-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Just finished the first season with 2 Blue Tops. Got them at COSTCO in the spring while they were on sale. No problems so far. Time will tell but so far no compliants. What I liked about them was that they were small and spill proof. I also liked the idea that I could get rid of the black battery boxes and go to battery trays.

I keep seeing all the posts about them failing quickly so I'm a bit nervious. My brother in law has had one in his BU for 4 years and no problems. I guess we'll see. If they don't last we'll see how that COSTCO warrenty works.

Here's my before and after pictures.....

JerryW
10-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Just finished the 3rd season with two Optima blue tops in our 2002 X-9. The boat originally had whatever it came from the factory with, and after it died I replaced it with one Optima. After upgrading the audio system and adding a larger amp, I installed another Optima and wired it in parallel to the first one - both came from Costco. I installed a heavy duty Battery Tender charger and when the boat is in storage in the garage for the winter, I plug the charger in every couple weeks and leave it on for a couple days. However, there have been times when it's sat for a couple of months without charging them, and so far they've always charged back up. Even in the summer the boat has sat once or twice for three weeks without being used, and no problems. I guess it depends on your experince, but mine has been good.

bigmac
10-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Just finished the 3rd season with two Optima blue tops in our 2002 X-9. The boat originally had whatever it came from the factory with, and after it died I replaced it with one Optima. After upgrading the audio system and adding a larger amp, I installed another Optima and wired it in parallel to the first one - both came from Costco. I installed a heavy duty Battery Tender charger and when the boat is in storage in the garage for the winter, I plug the charger in every couple weeks and leave it on for a couple days. However, there have been times when it's sat for a couple of months without charging them, and so far they've always charged back up. Even in the summer the boat has sat once or twice for three weeks without being used, and no problems. I guess it depends on your experince, but mine has been good.

Why don't you just leave the Battery Tender hooked up and running all the time while it's in storage?

corey
10-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Interstates here! We put them in every boat unless someone specifies something different.

That being said you do need to track down the source of the drain, or install a battery switch to physically shut everything off.

Jeff Lyman
10-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi all, I'm new and old hear have not posted since 2007. Optima I know well, I have used them for many years and with out issues. If they dont hold a charge its almost 95% chance a draw in the electrical systems of the vehcile. They are great batteries for boats, racing or anything where bouncing around is the norm. My company built a Optima car to lease them back in June 09. The battery is mounted on its side now for 6 months. No other battery can claim that possibility. The car is a street leagal stock car, about as wild as you can get for the street. Check our more on superstreetseries.com.http://C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\7ea4[1].jpg

Jeff Lyman
10-04-2009, 11:59 AM
http://C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\7ea4[1].jpg

Harry Reynolds
10-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Like they say above, it doesn't matter what battery you have, if there is enough of a drain it will kill any battery. When I bought my X-2 it had one large Interstate which finally died and left the wife and I stranded on the lake. Talked to Interstate about some type of replacement and they pro-rated themselves out of my boat. I went with two smaller batteries from the local "Battery Warehouse", just about everyone has one near them. They sell kinda generic batteries. They will probably last two years, but at $35 each, not bad. After two years, I'll be happy to pitch them. So far this year they have worked great. We always have the stereo on and filling or draining ballast and they haven't missed a beat.
I have a lot of experience with the Optima batteries through work (racing team) and they are good when you need a battery like that, but IMO these boats don't need that type of battery. They are for high impact, high vibration and put out a constant 14 volts. These boats don't need any of those.

JerryW
10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I guess I could leave it plugged in, and sometimes do forget and leave it on for a couple of weeks. I unplug it mainly to cut down on unnecessary electricity use, and just in case something were to over heat or short out.

TX.X-30 fan
10-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Trying to minimize his carbon footprint?

JerryW
10-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Trying to minimize his carbon footprint?

Maybe a little bit, considering the boat, jet ski's, tow vehicle all sucking down gas, it's the least I can do for the environment. Plus the more I save on electricity, the more I have to spend on gas.

TX.X-30 fan
10-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Maybe a little bit, considering the boat, jet ski's, tow vehicle all sucking down gas, it's the least I can do for the environment. Plus the more I save on electricity, the more I have to spend on gas.

I like your thinking. :D

TX.X-30 fan
10-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi all, I'm new and old hear have not posted since 2007. Optima I know well, I have used them for many years and with out issues. If they dont hold a charge its almost 95% chance a draw in the electrical systems of the vehcile. They are great batteries for boats, racing or anything where bouncing around is the norm. My company built a Optima car to lease them back in June 09. The battery is mounted on its side now for 6 months. No other battery can claim that possibility. The car is a street leagal stock car, about as wild as you can get for the street. Check our more on superstreetseries.com.http://C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\7ea4[1].jpg

I will beg to differ.

ROB
10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I will beg to differ.

Could you elaborate?

TallRedRider
10-04-2009, 09:50 PM
I will beg to differ.

Pretty well any AGM battery can be mounted sideways or even upside down if you had to.

Kinetik and Trojan both make AGM batteries that seem to get a lot of press on these boards. Westmarine makes an AGM battery that also does the same.

I had 3 Optimas in my old boat without ever a problem.

I agree with what has been said above. There has to be a drain somewhere that killed both batteries. That is why I am usually a firm believer in shutting off a perko switch when the boat is not in use. Boats are notorious for having an electrical gremlin that gradually drains the battery.

FlatBoard
10-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Two blue tops -Two years - No problems - Put them on charge in the spring after sitting 3 months - Have always held a charge. I do have a perko switch that I position to off when the boat is not in use..

TX.X-30 fan
10-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Pretty well any AGM battery can be mounted sideways or even upside down if you had to.

Kinetik and Trojan both make AGM batteries that seem to get a lot of press on these boards. Westmarine makes an AGM battery that also does the same.

I had 3 Optimas in my old boat without ever a problem.

I agree with what has been said above. There has to be a drain somewhere that killed both batteries. That is why I am usually a firm believer in shutting off a perko switch when the boat is not in use. Boats are notorious for having an electrical gremlin that gradually drains the battery.

Yes to turning the switch off. The optima I had as a starter did not have near the wavos the 2 kinetics have.

TMCNo1
10-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes to turning the switch off. The optima I had as a starter did not have near the wavos the 2 kinetics have.
If you keep using them Julio wurds, does that mean we are going to have to start pressing the 2 key to understand Spanish?:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
10-05-2009, 01:10 AM
If you keep using them Julio wurds, does that mean we are going to have to start pressing the 2 key to understand Spanish?:rolleyes:

Si senior.........

Archimedes
10-05-2009, 01:32 AM
Regarding an electrical drain, first battery, two years no problems, sat for months at a time. Put in an Optima because I wanted a deep cycle, worked fine during the season, no problems, then let it sit for 4 months, battery dead, couldn't be recovered. Nothing was left on. Put in a new Optima, worked fine for first 2.5 months, including sitting idle for about 30 days, then I let it sit for 45 days and it's dead as a door nail again. I double checked and nothing was left on.

Maybe I'll look into a switch. I'm still trying to do a recovery on the Optima, but it's a PITA to try to recover a gel battery. Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll know if this battery is DOA as well.

ghind
10-05-2009, 05:28 AM
I have an Optima and find it hard to charge. I did manage by putting my charger into battery recovery mode. In normal mode it would wind up to 14.4 volts quickly and shut off, without charging much at all.

I hear that putting a healthy battery in parallel with an optima will let the charger hold it at 14.4 volts long enough to recover it. I.e put the 2 batteries in parallel together and charge for a day or more with a high quality charger.

bturner2
10-05-2009, 07:53 AM
I ran my Blue Tops all summer with no problems. Towards the end of the season the boat would sit for 10 - 12 days at a time without starting but when I used the boat again no issues what so ever.

I started installing battery switches in my last two boats as a way to ensure nothing could be left on to cause a dead battery on the next outing. Every boat I've owned has experienced a dead battery at some point due to some type of drain. Usually it's been the depth sounder left on or the clock in the stereo or some other low voltage accessory that somehow got wired to be on while the key was in the off position.

When I did the wiring clean up on this boat I installed a Blue Seas "add a battery" kit that included a battery switch and a charging relay. I also took the advice in several of this site's posts that recommended having both batteries in the installation the same. When we're done with the boat for the day we always turn the battery switch off. It's worked for us so far. Guess we'll see next year how things turn out.

east tx skier
10-05-2009, 11:13 AM
My blue top didn't last a year. And my stereo is very modest. The BT is total garbage. Back to Delco. Inexpensive and very reliable.

cmw
10-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Walmart. Never had a problem. One in the boat, one for the trolling motor in the canoe, one in each truck and one in the car. If you do have a problem, the warranty is prorated and no trouble to replace.

helton333
10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
I tossed 2 Optimas this year. FYI - dealer told me they have now changed the way Optimas are to be charged. They should not be hooked directly to a battery charger - but charged through another battery in parallel. I kid you not. This was the manager at Autozone stating what the Optima rep had told him. You can find this information now by doing a Google search. I went with the new Sears Platinum and love them. Optimas were a huge problem for me over several years that led to misdiagnosing lots of other things -

BigJon
10-05-2009, 11:54 AM
I would like to talk about adding a switch so I'll start a new topic.

vision
10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
My VDIG reboot issues resolved once I replaced the Optima blue tops that came with my 08 X-star with Deka batteries. So I second the avoid Optima theme of this thread.

Archimedes
10-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I was aware of the recharge in parallel approach to recovering an Optima. Tried it on the last one and it worked at first, but then the battery wouldn't hold the charge. I tried it again on this battery yesterday and I think I may have recovered it. Now I'm topping it off with a trickle charger. We'll see.

Of course, it drained my truck battery in the process and it wouldn't start when I tried to go to work this morning...

They say the proper way to recover a discharged Optima is to put at least 100amps on it for 15 minutes, then let it cool, then do it again and repeat 3 more times. Then put it on a trickle charger with 2 amps for 24 hours. Seems like a lot of work for a crappy battery. Not to mention I don't happen to have a 100AMP charger.

mccobmd
10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
I had the optima, ran down twice and then nothing even on the trickle charger. Put in an Interstate with no problems for 2 years. Not an expert just know what's working for me.

Archimedes
10-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I had the optima, ran down twice and then nothing even on the trickle charger. Put in an Interstate with no problems for 2 years. Not an expert just know what's working for me.

Yeah, one thing I've learned on this journey up $hit creek with Optima is that if you drain it down and then just put in on your run of the mill trickle charger it won't charge fully. And if you test the battery it will say bad cell, even though it might not be.

In order to recover an Optima, it appears that it's best to have an expensive 100amp+ charger and lots of time on your hands.

brucemac
10-05-2009, 06:18 PM
sad to read all this. had two in my last boat for 2-3 years no problems. 3 in current boat. didn't I read somewhere that optima was sold off and shortly after is when all the problems started arising? my next set will be dekka.

Thrall
10-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not good at maintaining my batteries, but the last 2 Optimas I had in the boat lasted 2 seasons each, then dead before the 3rd season. I'm now on the 3rd one, 1st 2 were warrantied, so I'm not out any money, but not very good performance. I jut put the 3rd one in my old Jeep after the old crusty battery that was in it died. That thing probably sat for 5 years without much run time and zero battery maintenance.
When I was going to upgrade to a blue top Optima and saw they only have an 18mo replacement warranty vs 36 month on the red tops, I went with an Odyssey for the boat.
It has a 48month replacement warranty. Trying to decide if I want ot maintain this one in the off season, or just disconnect it like the OPtimas and see if it lasts 4 years or if I get a new one for free.

wakesurfer
10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Walmart works well, any prob before warranty ends just bring it back and get a new one.

Forrest-X45
10-20-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm not good at maintaining my batteries, but the last 2 Optimas I had in the boat lasted 2 seasons each, then dead before the 3rd season. I'm now on the 3rd one, 1st 2 were warrantied, so I'm not out any money, but not very good performance. I jut put the 3rd one in my old Jeep after the old crusty battery that was in it died. That thing probably sat for 5 years without much run time and zero battery maintenance.
When I was going to upgrade to a blue top Optima and saw they only have an 18mo replacement warranty vs 36 month on the red tops, I went with an Odyssey for the boat.
It has a 48month replacement warranty. Trying to decide if I want ot maintain this one in the off season, or just disconnect it like the OPtimas and see if it lasts 4 years or if I get a new one for free.

Exactly!

I did the same thing this summer, I ditched my two Optima blue tops and replaced them with two new Odysseys. Now I don't have to worry about batteries for years.......they claim they last 7-10 years.
Supposedly the same company the makes the Odyssey makes the Sears Diehard Platnium. So they are virtually the same battery. Of course Sears charges more for their Platniums so look around and find an Odyssey rep. It is worth the effort!!

jdl xstar
03-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Resurrecting an old thread here... To prep for the season, I took my two existing Interstate batteries (800 CCA each) to autozone for a slow trickle charge. I went to pick them up and apparently they couldn't get them fully recharged so I need to replace. No markings on the batteries so i called Intersate to check on warranty and it turns out they are from October 06 and July 07! That puts them at 5.5 to 6 years old! It was bittersweet since I hate buying new batteries but it was cool knowing that they had long and useful lifespans. And trust me, I use the heck out of the batteries with engine off running a fairly large stereo.

Anyways... I'm on the market for two new batteries and I may have to go back to ol Interstate since they served me so well. But everyone is talking about these Optima Blue Tops and DieHard Platinums. Either way, I'll be getting a quality dual purpose battery but I'm interested to hear any strong opinions for one or nuther.

Thrall
03-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Update on mine. The 3rd red top that I tossed into the Jeep in '09 is still kickin with very little use and only sporadic maintenance charging, like when I remember it hasn't been started or trickle charged for 6 months I'll throw it in the maintiner for a week.
That battery renewed my faith in Optimas a couple years ago, so bought a Blue Top for the 2nd battery in my X2.
It lasted 2 seasons and dead as a door nail. On a maintainer 24/7/365 just like the older Odyssey next to it.
Odyssey is still kickin, replaced the Blue Top with another identical Odyssey.

For AGM's I'd go Deka or Odyssey. Lead acid, Die Hard, Interstate or AC Delco.

BTW, the DIe Hard super duper model AGM batteries are re-branded Odysseys.

willyt
03-04-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm in the same boat (pun intended...) quite literally because i have an xstar that needs 2 new batteries too. I was thinking of going large and cheap, getting an off-brand 800 CCA starting battery and another group 31 AGM battery...

ski_king
03-04-2013, 05:15 PM
I bought a Red Top in 2005 and it is still working fine. As a matter of fact, the battery in my winter car died a few weeks ago and I grabbed the boat battery and am using it now. I am couple of months I will need to decide to either buy a new boat battery or put it back in the boat for another season.

bsloop
03-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Spring battery threads boil my blood.

"charge the batteries" should NEVER be on a summerization checklist!

Get a quality battery charger. Charge batteries after every use throughout the season.
Follow charger instructions while plugged in over the winter or remove from boat and keep charged at home.

:rant: off.

Interstate is a good battery and has served well. I dont think more expensive is worth it given the way most owners treat their batteries.
Go as big as possible SRM29 or 4D if there is room.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/content/product_info/marine_f.asp

I am going on year 7 with two Optima blue 27's and year 4 on three Kinetik 2400.
Kinetik are superior but not worth the extra cost the way most people treat batteries.
We work the batteries hard but take care of them.

jdl xstar
03-04-2013, 05:37 PM
While researching this topic, I found a good FAQ site for deep cycle batteries.

http://www.solar-electric.com/decybafaq1.html

dmax185
03-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Walmart. Never had a problem. One in the boat, one for the trolling motor in the canoe, one in each truck and one in the car. If you do have a problem, the warranty is prorated and no trouble to replace.

I beg to differ had a walmart battery that died after 6 months left us sit on the water alternator tested good
but walmart told me batteries have no warranty at all

kyfooter
03-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Had a blue optima battery that came with my 2003 and I never had an issue with it. Still going strong. I charge it for 24 hours once a month in the off-season and put it back in the boat from April through October.

LittleFuss
03-04-2013, 09:58 PM
I have had a Blue top for 3 years. only occassional trickle charges for maintenance..may once per season...Still kicking

bturner2
03-04-2013, 10:08 PM
2blue tops going on year 4. Throw out your 20 year old or cheap charger if you want to move to AGMs or stay with wet cells. If you want a high tech battery buy a high tech charger or expect to be dissipointed.

sand2snow22
03-05-2013, 12:45 AM
2blue tops going on year 4. Throw out your 20 year old or cheap charger if you want to move to AGMs or stay with wet cells. If you want a high tech battery buy a high tech charger or expect to be dissipointed.

Well said. Any suggestions on which high tech charger to get? I saw in a car magazine Optima now has one!

bturner2
03-05-2013, 08:29 AM
I've been using a CTEK and bought it when I purchased the AGM batteries. It will work on everything you have and is small, light and intelligent. I do however really like the new Optima charger and probably would have gone this direction had it been available at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHSI_qHOI4U

I bought the 7002 model which can be had for about $100 these days. Not bad for a high capability charger....

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/

bsloop
03-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Agree with bturner2,
Ctek 7002 is a great option for single or small double battery bank. Any more and you need to step up to the 25000 or other options.

I use it for individual charging twice a year on all batteries. (5 on MC, 2 on pontoon, 2 on Dmax, 1 car) Think of it like going to the dentist every 6 months for a teeth cleaning.
Some call it the "Jesus" of chargers because it has a good success rate of knocking enough sulfication off battey plates to bring a "dead" battery back to life. If a cell has gone bad - no go.

Multi bank options like Guest ChargePro and ProMariner ProSport are decent 3 stage chargers that can be used year round and not overcharge (read directions). I prefer ProMariner as they can sense when a bank is charged and direct extra charging to other discharged banks.
If you deplete batteries with stereo play, etc. 10amp+/bank is ideal

Look at a Charging Power Supply like Kinetk or Iota for hard core use.
http://www.kinetikpower.com/2009/products.asp?C=2
http://www.iotaengineering.com/12vdc.htm
These are excellent for large (3+ battery banks), if there is generator access while playing, play often at the dock or need rapid bulk recovery (say afternoon party, eat dinner, back out).
Computer controlled, they can sense when there is an active power draw and move into power supply mode to match battery voltage. With no draw, they act like a regular 3 stage charger. (put a load on a regular battery charger and it will eventually burn up trying to push up to an ideal charging voltage but it cant due to the stereo draw, same with the alternator)
These are NOT marine spark protected so install in an open compartment, not bilge for safety.

I run an Iota 90amp-IQ. With Honda 2k gen, I can push 6 hrs straight at 80%+ volume with my 4 large amps (by that point, everything usually needs a little break) 30min stereo off for no load battery recharge; we are good for another 3hrs easy.
Hint, use Power Supply as early in the day as possible, waiting til the battery starts to weaken puts a huge load on the PS to provide max power just as stereo is also pulling max draw. (usually results in blown gen breakers since my 90A until can pull up to 21amp A/C)

Battery chargers are usually an after thought but they are a very important component.
Huge $$$ are spent on stereo and batteries are NOT cheap so why neglect or go cheap on a battery charger? An alternator is NOT sufficient as a battery charger.
Have enough battery power to play and not be the douche that runs his motor to charge. (good way to burn up an alternator and a ton of fuel)

Graph below shows the 8 stages possible with Ctek. A normal 3 stage only has bulk, absorption and float.

JimN
03-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I beg to differ had a walmart battery that died after 6 months left us sit on the water alternator tested good
but walmart told me batteries have no warranty at all

That's BS- they usually have a 3 year warranty, although it may be different for deep-cycle. You DID use a cranking battery for the engine, right?

I have had Walmart batteries in my previous two vehicles and they honored the warranty, even though I didn't have the receipts- they just scanned the UPC code to get the date of sale.

jdl xstar
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
After much research, i'm going with 2 Interstate 27M-XHD.

It is classified as a cranking battery, but its spec sheet tells me it has better reserve power attributes than several more expensive "deep cycle" batteries. Seems more like a dual purpose than pure cranking.

It has 800 CCA (1000 at 32degrees)
109 AmpHours
182 Reserve Capacity
54 lbs
Warranty: 12 free replace, 30 month pro rated

Price: ~$120

This is the stepped up version of what i had previously, 24M-XHD, which served me very well.

I found that this price to specs was about the best bang for the buck i could get.

jgraham37128
03-05-2013, 04:42 PM
After much research, i'm going with 2 Interstate 27M-XHD.

It is classified as a cranking battery, but its spec sheet tells me it has better reserve power attributes than several more expensive "deep cycle" batteries. Seems more like a dual purpose than pure cranking.

It has 800 CCA (1000 at 32degrees)
109 AmpHours
182 Reserve Capacity
54 lbs
Warranty: 12 free replace, 30 month pro rated

Price: ~$120

This is the stepped up version of what i had previously, 24M-XHD, which served me very well.

I found that this price to specs was about the best bang for the buck i could get.

So, explain why you didn't choose the optima battery?

bzettler83
03-05-2013, 05:09 PM
If you can get a battery from Costco they have the best warranty. From what I remember its 5 or 7yrs free replacement, no questions asked. Just not sure if they do marine batteries.

Also I was talking to the guy at Autozone when I was trying to replace my 5yr old Red Top in my truck and he mentioned something about Optima being bought out by a Chinese company and the quality dropping off.

Who knows.

Ole Miss Rebels
03-05-2013, 06:02 PM
i have had two blue-tops for exactly five years now on my 2008 xstar with L18. large stereo with five amps. the blue tops run down if they sit up for more than two weeks. i finally learned that there is a significant draw somewhere on the boat (probably the bilge pumps and the stereo clock and memory for pre-set channels). the cut-off switch does not prevent the batteries from dis-charging because the bilge pumps and stereo memory stays powered up. some other items may too but i know that these two items do. if i take the wires off of the batteries then they hold a charge several months longer but they will still eventually discharge. what i do now is take the wires completely off of both batteries and put a cheap trickle-charger on the batteries and swap the charger from one battery to the other every two weeks or so. both batteries now stay fully charged and have had zero issues this way.

jdl xstar
03-05-2013, 06:06 PM
So, explain why you didn't choose the optima battery?

Price was primary reason. The Optima I was looking at was $220 and I needed 2. I'm sure the optima is a better battery (maybe), but not worth the extra $100 per battery. Putting the specs of the Interstate 27-XHD against the Optima, the Interstate was quite comparable.

sand2snow22
03-05-2013, 06:54 PM
I think that is a wise choice JDL. I recently replaced my battery with the 24-XHD. We don't run the battery down.

Footin
03-05-2013, 10:10 PM
I have always run a deepcycle/starting battery. A properly maintaned lead acid battery will last just as long as any gel cell on the market and is about half the price.

dmax185
03-06-2013, 07:14 AM
That's BS- they usually have a 3 year warranty, although it may be different for deep-cycle. You DID use a cranking battery for the engine, right?

I have had Walmart batteries in my previous two vehicles and they honored the warranty, even though I didn't have the receipts- they just scanned the UPC code to get the date of sale.

Yes i had the cranking battery
Had the receipt when i took the battery back management said my warranty expired the day i walked out the door so needless to say i will never buy a battery at walmart again

JimN
03-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Had the receipt when i took the battery back management said my warranty expired the day i walked out the door so needless to say i will never buy a battery at walmart again

I would have walked the pinhead back to the automotive department to show him the sign that shows the warranties. The ones I bought had a 3 year- 1 year replacement/pro-rata for the rest. The women at CS had no problem with this and I may have been in the store for less than 10 minutes.

CantRepeat
03-06-2013, 10:38 AM

Well if you still have the battery it might be worth your time to head on back over to walmart and talk to someone else.

dmax185
03-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Well if you still have the battery it might be worth your time to head on back over to walmart and talk to someone else.

I don't have it anymore ended up getting an optima blue top and trading the other one in for the core
So far I'm happy with the optima advance auto gave me a 3 year warranty on it
i take the battery out every winter and put a maintainer on

onewheat
03-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Battery maintenance is the key to any battery's life. I got 9 years out of the original battery in my CBR and the second has been in there for 11+ years.. I use a Battery Tender whenever the bike is parked at home. They are well worth the price.

JimN
03-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Battery maintenance is the key to any battery's life. I got 9 years out of the original battery in my CBR and the second has been in there for 11+ years.. I use a Battery Tender whenever the bike is parked at home. They are well worth the price.

One of the most important things for extending battery life is keeping it from becoming extremely hot, either by dumping a ton of current in a short time or by being in high-temperature environment. Another is avoiding totally discharging any kind of battery. This is extremely important and with a lead-acid battery, total discharge in cold climates causes the electrolyte to freeze and that can de-laminate the plates. It also causes lead sulfate to slough off of the plates and collect at the bottom of the case (the plates are lead, but when discharged, the lead sulfate collects on the plates). This remains if the lead has been lost from the plates and when it settles to the bottom, it's no longer part of the charging system. If it reaches the bottom of the plates in a cell, it short-circuits them and that cell will no longer store a charge. A simple test for this is to connect the battery to a charger and let it go through a complete charging cycle- if it measures less than about 13VDC, the integrity of the cell(s) have been compromised.

CruisinGA
03-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Hint-

If you discharged your gel cell (Optima) battery and it now won't take a charge, hook it up in parallel with a normal lead acid battery and try again.
I have resurrected several Optima's this way, including the one currently in my '74 FJ40.

JimN
03-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Hint-

If you discharged your gel cell (Optima) battery and it now won't take a charge, hook it up in parallel with a normal lead acid battery and try again.
I have resurrected several Optima's this way, including the one currently in my '74 FJ40.

That goes for any battery. Chargers don't live long with a load like a dead battery, so connecting a known good one in parallel allows the dead one to charge slightly, or a lot- depends on how long they're connected. This is also extremely important when jump-starting an engine with a dead battery- turn the donor engine off, connect the batteries and let them sit for a while. After about 15 minutes, start the donor engine and let it charge both batteries for about 15 minutes before shutting the donor engine off again. Crank the engine with the formerly dead battery and once it's started, remove the cables in the correct order. This will keep the alternator on the donor engine from dying due to the extreme load from trying to crank and engine AND charge a dead battery.

bsloop
03-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Hint-

Entire post is full of Incorrect information.

Optima is AGM not Gel.
From Optima website - "A gel battery design is typically a modification of the standard lead-acid automotive or marine battery. A gelling agent is added to the electrolyte to reduce movement inside the battery case. Many gel batteries also use one-way valves in place of open vents, which help the normal internal gasses to recombine back into water in the battery, reducing gassing. Generally, gel batteries are less tolerant of high heat and are charged at lower power than traditional or AGM batteries. An OPTIMA battery is neither a gel battery nor regular flooded battery. OPTIMA is a SPIRALCELLTECHNOLOGY AGM battery."

As to the completely discharged battery charging issue. The explaination is also poor. It is not that the second battery helps the dead battery; many automatic mode chargers need several volts to recognize polarity before safely beginning charging. A dead battery does not have enough voltage. Adding the parallel battery gives the overall bank enough voltage to start the charger. After an hour or two, the batteries should be disconnected and fully charge both batteries independently.

east tx skier
03-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I had a Blue top optima a few years ago. Never again. Lasted less than a year. Back to Delco automotive battery. Trouble free once again.

orbeamlb
03-07-2013, 10:40 PM
I had a Blue top optima a few years ago. Never again. Lasted less than a year. Back to Delco automotive battery. Trouble free once again.

Ditto on the AC Delco batteries. I've killed a few of them in the TA over 32 years and they almost always came back to life with a good charging.

JimN
03-07-2013, 10:57 PM
I'd like to see something that definitively shows why the batteries have failed. I bought a 2005 Astro Cargo van from someone in Phoenix just about 2 years ago and it has an Optima. So far, it has had absolutely no problems of any kind. I do a lot of short trips, too- lots of cranking.

Kyle
03-08-2013, 02:14 AM
I'd like to see something that definitively shows why the batteries have failed. I bought a 2005 Astro Cargo van from someone in Phoenix just about 2 years ago and it has an Optima. So far, it has had absolutely no problems of any kind. I do a lot of short trips, too- lots of cranking.

I spoke with optima tech support last year. They claim that maintaining a good charge on the battery and always putting a charger on after every use will extend life. My optimas are stereo batteries that get discharged every outing. Then charged over night and discharged again next day.

I'm shocked that I'm on 7 years. I have truly abused mine.

sheckski
04-29-2013, 01:20 PM
What are the purported advantages to the Optima such that it is warranted to pay the higher price and put up with their greater sensitivity to recharge? I have used interstate batteries trouble free for many years and cant find a reason to "upgrade"

bturner2
04-30-2013, 08:46 AM
For me the advantage was less mess to deal with (no acid to spill, no out gassing), packaging (smaller cleaner footprint) and mounting options (battery trays are available to mount them in almost every conceivable position possible). I also like not dealing with those cheap plastic boxes that never seem to fit the battery correctly. The cheap lid with plastic web strap to hold it in place also seems a little cheesy for high dollar boat.

If none of those reasons are of interest and you're happy with your current set up then you're good.

JMann
05-29-2014, 06:10 PM
I'm going to revive this old battery thread instead of start a new one.

I have a 91 PS190 with the 260hp not the HP engine. On my way back to the ramp on Sunday idling through the marina I noticed my gauges started going a little crazy (i.e. bouncing around, temp from 140 - 180 and same with oil pressure 30 - 60, sudden changes) voltage was under 12. This was my second day out this season and hadn't noticed it previously.

I'm thinking since my battery is 6 + years old it is probably a dying battery and a new battery would solve the problem.

What do you experts think? I have been researching on line and who knew there where so many different types of batteries. What type of spec's do I need for my new battery?

Thanks

JimN
05-29-2014, 06:27 PM
I'm going to revive this old battery thread instead of start a new one.

I have a 91 PS190 with the 260hp not the HP engine. On my way back to the ramp on Sunday idling through the marina I noticed my gauges started going a little crazy (i.e. bouncing around, temp from 140 - 180 and same with oil pressure 30 - 60, sudden changes) voltage was under 12. This was my second day out this season and hadn't noticed it previously.

I'm thinking since my battery is 6 + years old it is probably a dying battery and a new battery would solve the problem.

What do you experts think? I have been researching on line and who knew there where so many different types of batteries. What type of spec's do I need for my new battery?

Thanks

Which battery do you have? If it's lead/acid, remove the covers and look at the electrolyte- if it's low, remove the battery put it on a charger and add distilled water to the line.

If that looks good, you can have it load tested, but the first thing I would look at is the battery terminals and the ground point(s) on the engine. Also, make sure the wires on the ignition switch, starter and battery are secure.