PDA

View Full Version : Cover the boat when you have a canopy?

jwroblew
10-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I just bought a new to me lift and it has a canopy. I can get the boat pretty high into the canopy and over the winter I will be adding additional side skirts. But my question is do you still cover the boat? Or do you do it some times like when your not going to use it fo awhile, or when you know its going to rain, etc...

jkski
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
I can get mine up inside the canopy as well, but I always cover it as spiders have a tendancy to get it if you do not. They will find a way in to some extent regardless, but they leave little black and yellow marks so the more you can avoid this the better.
With that said, if I ski in the morning and know that I will be back in the evening for another set, I do not cover it.
One thing to consider, if you have electric, add a fan inside your canopy to help dryout your boat on those days you choose not to cover it. A simple box fan that is strapped to the canopy framework is what I have seen used in the past and it works great.

bigmac
10-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Depending on the depth of the canopy, it probably isn't necessary, especially if you have side skirts.

However, those expectations may vary from person to person depending on their level of obsession-compulsion relative to their boat. Not covering will get dust, insects, bird droppings in the boat to some degree. From my standpoint, covering and uncovering the boat every time I want to use it negates a large part of the value of keeping the boat on a lift in the first place. I want taking my boat out to be as easy as pulling my car out of the garage. If my boat is a little dustier or dirtier in exchange for that convenience, so be it. I consider that to be a good exchange, but others who care more about the appearance of their boat than I do may not feel the same way.

I will say that if you're going to keep your boat on the water and covered, I'd give serious consideration to keeping a dryer/heater in the cockpit, or at least some other positive-ventilation system, to decrease the chance of mold.

skeeler
10-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I always cover it, even with a canopy. Keeps dust and others out.

kkkeating
10-02-2009, 10:55 AM
We always cover it; one, it keeps the general public from peeking inside. Plus it keeps out bird droppings and dust and other critters. I'm always suprised how dirty the cover gets under an canopy.

Kingsley X-1
10-02-2009, 11:10 AM
another vote for covering it...my boat sits in a full dock house garage, but the dust and spider crap would surprise you.

Muttley
10-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I always cover it for anything overnight and longer. Bugs, dust, birds (&%#@ing DUCKS!), even critters.

Speaking of critters, last year I looked out at my moored boat and an otter was playing on the swim grid. The boat wasn't on a lift, but I'm sure the lift wouldn't have stopped him.

acornellier
10-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I keep mine covered all the time.Keeps dirt and bugs out.

Hollywood
10-02-2009, 12:06 PM
I also use my boat way too much to cover it every night. Spider webs and dust wipe off easier than mold and mildew. I only cover it if I won't be using it for at least a week. Even when I do, I only cover the bow and dash so the rear can dry out.

3event
10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Another vote for cover it. Bird droppings will stain the vinyl. A couple times this summer when we stayed up at the lake I just cranked it up and left it uncovered. On the 2nd day I was scrubbing the vinyl in a couple spots.

I think it completely depends on critter and bird population/access. Your environment might be mostly free of those issues. Mine is not.

A good blowing storm can get water up in there, cranked all the way up or not. Side skirts would take care of the water issue.

bigmac
10-02-2009, 01:01 PM
A good blowing storm can get water up in there, cranked all the way up or not. Side skirts would take care of the water issue.
This will vary between lift mfgrs. Some canopies are deeper than others. My lift is a Pier Pleasure and the boat tucks up deep enough that I have no need whatsoever for side skirts, even in a big blow (such as we're having over the last day or two).