PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about draining carburetor.

hkallestad
10-01-2009, 05:46 AM
I'm selling my automotive carb(Holley 600CFM 1850-S) to get a marine one. I want to drain it for gas without taking it apart, is it drain plugs on the bolws or something??

88 PS190
10-01-2009, 01:24 PM
There should be some variety of drain, or you can just pull the float bowl.

You could probably just turn it over so the input line was down and let it drain that way too.

Was this carb on your boat?

flipper
10-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Rod....is that you?

hkallestad
10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
There should be some variety of drain, or you can just pull the float bowl.

You could probably just turn it over so the input line was down and let it drain that way too.

Was this carb on your boat?

Yep, in my boat, calibration is original, never messed with, engine is running great with it, going to be interesting to see if a marine carb will change anything. It will be safer tho;-)

thatsmrmastercraft
10-01-2009, 02:20 PM
All you nee to do is remove the bowl level screws on the side of the fuel bowls and drain it out through there. Once the fuel is out, work the throttle to empty the fuel in the accelerator pump. Leave the bowl screws out overnight to let all the fuel evaporate.

hkallestad
10-01-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't have any screws on the side of the bowls, but one on top of each bowl, could I drain through these??

TMCNo1
10-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't have any screws on the side of the bowls, but one on top of each bowl, could I drain through these??

No, those are float adjustment screws, he's referring to the 4 bolts that hold the bowl on each end of the carb.

EricB
10-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Disconnect the fuel line and plug it coming from the fuel pump. Start the engine and run it out of gas. Once it dies, remove carb and place on something and turn it upside down. Gas will drain out. Do not disassemble anything that you do not know what it does, or you'll be in trouble.

coz
10-01-2009, 07:11 PM
place on something and turn it upside down.

Gravity is good :D

T-Rager
10-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm selling my automotive carb(Holley 600CFM 1850-S) to get a marine one. I want to drain it for gas without taking it apart, is it drain plugs on the bolws or something??

Just remove one of the lower fuel bowl bolts in each fuel bowel and the fuel will drain out. Be sure to have a container to capture the fuel. Once you have removed the carburetor from the intake manifold, simply turn it upside down and drain any remaining fuel. Then flip the carb back to the upright position and pump the throttle shaft a few times until the accelerator pump chamber is empty.

Tom

hkallestad
10-02-2009, 04:17 AM
Allrgihty then, a bit skeptical about loosening the bowl bolts, but thanks for the help folks!

The new marine carb wont come on the engine until spring, what should I do about the open hole on the intake during winter? Do I have to seal it??

TMCNo1
10-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Allrgihty then, a bit skeptical about loosening the bowl bolts, but thanks for the help folks!

The new marine carb wont come on the engine until spring, what should I do about the open hole on the intake during winter? Do I have to seal it??

Stuff some rags in the holes and cover with a rag or towel.

ROB
10-02-2009, 11:08 AM
You might be making more of this than necessary. If you haven't run the engine recently, there won't be much pressure at the fuel line. Get a good shop rag and put it under the fuel line connection at the carb to catch small spills. Remove all of your connections. Unbolt the carb, and lift straight out. We're not talking about a lot of gas here. Either, turn the carb upside down and drain from the carb vent at the top into a container at the ready. Or, like others have said, remove one of the lower primary fuel bowl screws and tilt the carb about 45˚ and let the fuel drain from there.