PDA

View Full Version : Hrs on boat...should I be concerned?!

RWB_XSTAR
10-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Do any of you worry a lot about the hours on your boat? I put on about 120hrs per season and now have 530hrs on my '04 XSTAR. When I look at the hours I wonder what if any that will mean when I look to sell/upgrade/ect... Boat runs great, but as they all do it takes work and money. I can't see selling as I'd just want a newer XSTAR with a similar set-up so why is this bugging me...tell me I'm not the only one here?!

I've only shared pics when I got the new boatmate trailer...here is a nice shot in the water:

ProStar200
10-01-2009, 12:16 AM
If I were you I wouldn't be concerned with the hours. I think I speak for the fellow members on here that the more hours we have on our Mastercraft Boats the better. We love being on the water with family and friends. If you maintain, service and look after your Mastercraft it should look as good and run as good as the day you got it the day you decide to sell (to another Mastercraft of course).

h2oskifreak
10-01-2009, 12:37 AM
My old M.C doesn't have an hour meter, but if it did it would be way up there. How cool is it to have boats that just keep going year after hard used year. Finished my season 1 month early this year due to injury but had 38 days on the water of three sets of 6 passes each x 2 skiers. I'm guessing I put 120-150 hrs on it and loved every min. of it.

ROB
10-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Enjoy your sport, family and friends. Hopefully, that is why we all buy Mastercraft. The way I look at it, the more hours the more of the above.

FrankSchwab
10-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Ya gots a choice - put enjoyable hours on the boat and take a hit on resale value 5 years down the road, or park the boat in the garage and keep the hours low so the resale value stays high.

Frankly, I don't think you bought the boat to keep the resale value high. The more hours you have on the boat, the more value you got out of it.

/frank

mayo93prostar
10-01-2009, 07:49 AM
just use it. the resale value is probably more impacted by the economy than the hours. there is not much you can do about the economy but you can choose to enjoy time on the boat.

Mag_Red
10-01-2009, 09:56 AM
just use it. the resale value is probably more impacted by the economy than the hours. there is not much you can do about the economy but you can choose to enjoy time on the boat.I totally agree! Here's and interesting comparison..... in '99 I bought a new Corvette Convertible. Drove it every chance I got, Took it to the drag strip 100's of times, ran the road course at Mid Ohio 3 times, and took 4 trips to Florida for the 24 Hours of LeMans. In the mean time my cousin buys the , and I mean the EXACT, 2000 Corvette Convertible. He barely drove it. When I sold mine in '04 I had 68,000 miles. Sold it for $24,000 ( talk about depreciation LOL )
My cousin ends up selling his the next year, with a total of 5,500 miles.:eek: What did he get for his???????? Around $28,500 I can guarantee I had wayyyyyyyy more fun with mine. :D

Skipper
10-01-2009, 10:08 AM
I have a friend that buys a new model year ski boat each year. He is an hours Nazi. At the end of the course when we shorten the rope he insists that we turn off the boat. His "accountant" tells him that he must keep the hours down to keep the resale value high.

If you are not going to buy a new boat every year then just go out and use it.

Abe
10-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I wish I could put more hours on My boat, The weather here in Scotland UK this summer has been P**s :mad:, apart from a few great days - Yea when I was at work, But I still get great enjoyment out of my Mastercraft :rolleyes:, Here,s hoping for a better season next.

88 PS190
10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I like to keep track of my hours carefully, so I keep a log, date, hours, what I did, and it allows you to forward schedule things based on the recommended service intervals.

I also like doing this so that at the end of the season I can look at it and go, this year we did so many hours, boat was in the water so long. Works well, and doesnt take much time.

And when/if you sell your boat you can show that you kept up with the boat and how much you used it per year.

Jerseydave
10-01-2009, 11:17 PM
My lawnmower has more hours on it than my boat.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................and that REALLY stinks! :D

GO OUT AND USE IT! ;)

Muttley
10-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Do you plan on selling your boat?

It may be true that more hours = less resale, but more hours = more fun. Any increase in hours is offset my the price of the fun you're having.

It's also about maintenance. If your boat is well looked after you won't lose that much.

85S&S_Keuka
10-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I bought my boat 20 years ago with 300 hours and was concerned about putting too many hours on it 'cause I thought I would be upgrading a few years later. Now, 1300 hours later I'll probably never sell it and don't care about the hours at all.

JJP
10-02-2009, 02:50 PM
2001 X-Star and have 768hrs as of Tuesday.

JJP
10-02-2009, 02:52 PM
2001 X-Star as of Tuesday 768 hrs.

RWB_XSTAR
10-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the replys and I agree more hours = more fun. The boat is in good shape, I just cross my fingers that nothing major happens with no warranty. I keep good on all the routine stuff.

I just got an itch when I looked at my hours and had seen a very tempting deal on an '07 leftover. At the end of the day 10k is still ALOT of money for a few new features...the 3yr warranty and just having a new boat was getting tempting. I think I'd be crazy to do anything but keep it!

Now Just mad that I have about a month of riding left in the season and pulled my hamstring yesterday!

TMCNo1
10-02-2009, 06:36 PM
My lawnmower has more hours on it than my boat.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................and that REALLY stinks! :D

GO OUT AND USE IT! ;)

Then quit skiing behind the lawnmower and use the boat and the boat probably gives off a better wake too!:rolleyes:

treptowr
10-02-2009, 08:20 PM
I really love your X-star. Sweet looking boat.