PDA

View Full Version : new owner questions

LaRue
09-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Here is a listing of some general questions along with photos. any gudiance is appreciated. This will not be as long as MM, although i did learn a few things. :D

1st & 2nd- anyone tell me where the rust color is coming from and what i can do?

3rd-simple gel coat repair kit?

4th- i have this water dripping after i moved the boat/trailer around. What and where?

5th. I have a Fulton A75 swing away hitch/surge brake. Oil resevoir was empty. filled and when i had the boat on driveway, especially when trailer was pushing against pickup, there was a constant drip. Nay ideas on how to repair. Unit is less than one year old. Previous owner put on before sale.

LaRue
09-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Also, what do you guys do with the extra strap length? around here i am going to have to pull with cover on as much as possible.

mpabreo
09-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Be careful towing with straps on at all. At higher speeds the wind will make them flutter and mar the gelcoat. Not so apparent on white however.

TMCNo1
09-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Also, what do you guys do with the extra strap length? around here i am going to have to pull with cover on as much as possible.

Tennis ball with a dime size hole in each end and a cut between the holes in one side, loop the loose strap around the other straps secure the loose end inside the tennis ball when you clamshell it on the straps with the uncut side against the hull to protect. When they get dirty or after along trip, throw them in the next load of wash in the washing machine.Same with the other straps that may touch the hull, including the rear ropes to for protection.

russlars
09-30-2009, 03:55 PM
I think I can answer #4 for you. It is most likely draining out of the intake on the bottom of the boat. When I garage mine it will drip water out of the intake for a day or two. I usually put a bucket under it and it will drain a couple pints in the bucket. It is probably worse in my case since my boat can come out of the lake and into the garage in 30 minutes or less.

russlars
09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Might want to look into a MC ratcheting cover like this. With this type you can eliminate the straps all together. Keep your existing one for stationary storage and use your ratcheting cover for towing.

LaRue
09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
think I can answer #4 for you. It is most likely draining out of the intake on the bottom of the boat. When I garage mine it will drip water out of the intake for a day or two. I usually put a bucket under it and it will drain a couple pints in the bucket. It is probably worse in my case since my boat can come out of the lake and into the garage in 30 minutes or less.

so this is normal? boat hasn't been in the water for two weeks and finally noticed water dripping after i moved it.

coz
09-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Tennis ball with a dime size hole in each end and a cut between the holes in one side, loop the loose strap around the other straps secure the loose end inside the tennis ball when you clamshell it on the straps with the uncut side against the hull to protect. When they get dirty or after along trip, throw them in the next load of wash in the washing machine.Same with the other straps that may touch the hull, including the rear ropes to for protection.

I use the TB technique too.....kinda.

I have a tennis ball hanging in my garage to remind my wife that if she passes the ball with her car she'll be in the house......I have to do this......she's blonde :rolleyes:

Sodar
09-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I use the TB technique too.....kinda.

I have a tennis ball hanging in my garage to remind my wife that if she passes the ball with her car she'll be in the house......I have to do this......she's blonde :rolleyes:

Of all the pics you have posted, I have NEVER seen a pic of the wifey. Makes me wonder if she is real. :rolleyes:

LaRue
Might want to look into a MC ratcheting cover like this. With this type you can eliminate the straps all together. Keep your existing one for stationary storage and use your ratcheting cover for towing.

where would a guy find those? not coming up on Google

Sodar
so this is normal? boat hasn't been in the water for two weeks and finally noticed water dripping after i moved it.

Where is the water dripping from?

bbymgr
09-30-2009, 04:33 PM

You always come up with some very creative ideas #1. I'm just surprised you haven't colored the tennis balls to match the boat.:D

russlars
09-30-2009, 04:57 PM
where would a guy find those? not coming up on Google
Bought mine from my local MC dealer (Portland Ski Boat Center). Mine is used for towing and mooring and has been an excellent cover as long as it is "tented" properly.

coz
09-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Of all the pics you have posted, I have NEVER seen a pic of the wifey. Makes me wonder if she is real. :rolleyes:

She's real....been married for over 20 years :D

TMCNo1
09-30-2009, 05:44 PM
You always come up with some very creative ideas #1. I'm just surprised you haven't colored the tennis balls to match the boat.:D

I learned that trick several years before getting the MC while having a boat that we towed to the NC coast, Myrtle Beach, SC and to Buffalo, NY and Toronto. A little thought, time and a trip or two to KMart, Ace Hardware and you'll be surprised what you can come up with.

Believe me, painted tennis balls with scratch the gelcoat!:rolleyes::D

peason
09-30-2009, 07:10 PM

I've seen pictures of you and no way is this your wife! :) You must have married her when she was 5 years old!

TMCNo1
09-30-2009, 07:14 PM

Hey Coz, I need her full name and your address, so I can send her a sympathy card!:rolleyes::D

coz
09-30-2009, 07:19 PM
I've seen pictures of you and no way is this your wife! :) You must have married her when she was 5 years old!

Hey Coz, I need her full name and your address, so I can send her a sympathy card

She's actually a year older than me :D...so there 8p :banana:

LaRue
09-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Where is the water dripping from?

i'm not sure as it seems to be coming from above the bunkie. Russlars thougt it might be coming out of the intake.

LaRue
09-30-2009, 10:26 PM
any thoughts on the rust color?

In regards to the cylinder on the surge brakes, it appears the front seal is leaking. Unit is only 6 months old so i can call the marina who installed tomorrow.

FrankSchwab
10-01-2009, 02:38 AM
The rust colored stain appears to be coming from the shaft packing. Now, there's nothing in there that should rust, so that's a mystery. However, the shaft packing is designed to let a little water through it - in the water, you should see a drip every 5 to 60 seconds. This means that water can drip OUT of the boat also. I'm guessing that the Previous Owner allowed the bilge to fill with water, and never pulled the plug. The water could have gotten in from normal operations on the lake, or from rain. Eventually, the bilge water will drain through the packing...one drip every 5 to 60 seconds. The rust color could be from an old bolt in the bottom of the bilge, it could be dried oil (or, god forbid, fuel) residue, could be a lot of things.

My recommendation is to buff it off the hull, put in the plug, put three inches of water and dish soap in the bilge, and scrub it down. Drain the bilge (away from the lake, please) and rinse it out. Every time you pull the boat out of the water, remember to remove the plug (and, more importantly, remember to put it back in before putting the boat back in the water). The next time you take the boat out, check the drip rate around the shaft packing, and adjust the packing if necessary.

As far as the gelcoat, get a gelcoat repair kit. If the dings are visible, order it from Spectrum Color to get it color-matched to the boat; if it's not visible, just get a white kit from your local marine store/dealer. Should be real simple to fill those.

Good luck,

/frank

LaRue
10-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Appreciate the help. will do some cleaning and further investigating