PDA

View Full Version : Wooden swingset advice

Gonzo
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Ok, I know this is a boat site but many of us wouldnt have boats except to spend time with our families, so someone out there has to have advice for me.

I am looking at buying this for the yard.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10967578&sourceid=1500000000000003260420&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10967578

We just finished the house, money is tight right now REALLY TIGHT. My son is already 5 and my daughter is 8, I figure at the most she will play on it for 2 yrs and he for 5. Has anyone bought one of these through walmart? My brother spent 2k a couple of years ago and made fort knox in his back yard but I dont think I need something that big, again the kids are already getting older.

thanks for any relevant advice. As for the rest of you jokers 8p

Rockman
09-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Gonzo,

The playdecks at Walmsrt are ok but not the greatest.

Two neighbors of ours have similar play decks like the one you are looking at and they have been fine. One neighbor bought theirs at Toys R Us and the other at Sam's Club. I think for the money, you wil get a play deck that will last for a number of years.

Since your kids are already 5 and 8, I wouldn't spend a ton of money on something that they will outgrow soon.

We did a lot of research on play decks when our little one turned 1. We bought ours at Menards and then customized it to accomodate our daughter who was only 2 at the time I built it. Yes, ours was more in the 2k range after modifications but it will be used for a number of years.

I would also (just for the hell of it), check Craigslist in your area for ones that are a couple years old that are for sale. There were a number of them in our area but we decided for the money, just to make our own.

Hope this helps!

RM

bbymgr
09-30-2009, 10:58 AM
I have that exact one. I've had mine for 2 years. It's not bad quality, but not the best quality either. It seems to be holding up fairly well. I was like you and didn't want something long term. This should last 5 years. FYI....the assembly instructions are horrible. None of the wood was marked and it took 2 of us most of a day to assemble. Maybe they have improved the instructions, I don't know, just wanted to let you know. Make sure the area is LEVEL. The joints don't allow for much play to assemble it.

JimN
09-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Jeez! Get with the program! It's not a swingset, it's a PLAYSTATION!

They cost $2000 because those focus groups to discuss new names are expensive.

It's not fun unless it's thin tubular steel, has 12" anchors that can be made to come out of the ground and two kids swinging in sync can almost tip the whole thing over.

This is the best swing I have seen:

http://www.uoregon.edu/~ftepfer/SchlFacilities/TireSwingTable.html

JimN
09-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I have that exact one. I've had mine for 2 years. It's not bad quality, but not the best quality either. It seems to be holding up fairly well. I was like you and didn't want something long term. This should last 5 years. FYI....the assembly instructions are horrible. None of the wood was marked and it took 2 of us most of a day to assemble. Maybe they have improved the instructions, I don't know, just wanted to let you know. Make sure the area is LEVEL. The joints don't allow for much play to assemble it.

You have that one? You didn't want something long-term? Is this for you or the kids? :D

bbymgr
09-30-2009, 11:34 AM
You have that one? You didn't want something long-term? Is this for you or the kids? :D

The sand box underneath is a blast!!! I love the slide also, but I keep knocking my head when climbing up the ladder. Wanna come over and play?:D:D

kkkeating
09-30-2009, 11:40 AM
If money is tight, look on Craigslist or the want ads for used ones. In our area I see nice used ones for a fraction of the new price. The kids have grown up and the parents don't need the playset anymore. You'll probably have to disassemble and load yourself and maybe do so some refinishing, but it's not a difficult project.

ttu
09-30-2009, 11:51 AM
my ex and i bought our son a rainbow brand swingset. it still looks great after 10 years. the quality is outstanding but that goes along with the price. i think we paid around 2K and that was 10 years ago.

when i bought my new house i bought a wooden cheap one from walmart. let me just way it is a piece of crap.

as far as finding them on craigslist, good luck. i have been looking in the tulsa metro area for a couple of years and have yet to see a good wood one for sale.

ttu
09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
okay, foot in mouth. went to craigslist and found a few rainbow systems. seem to be priced very high.

JimN
09-30-2009, 11:57 AM
The sand box underneath is a blast!!! I love the slide also, but I keep knocking my head when climbing up the ladder. Wanna come over and play?:D:D

We canned the sandbox pretty early on but under the swingset, we had yard. Digging out the grass by dragging our feet is a quick way to having a PO'd dad, too. That was also a great way to splash the other kids after it rained, too.

How far over the top pipe could you go and how far could you fly out of the seat when you let go? Any good face plants?

Now I want a swingset.

kkkeating
09-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Here's one in Tucson for $150! This really is an unusally low price.

High Quality Rainbow play systems Red Wood Swing set Backyard Slide - $150 (North)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-09-01, 6:41PM MST
Reply to: sale-u53tx-1354179143@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a top of the line high quality red wood play set with a slide, tower, and swings. There is an area for a sandbox below the tower. Kids love it. It includes two blue regular swings (one is shown the the picture), a tire swing (only a few years old in great condition), and a trapeze yellow swing. It is currently in good condition and has a fresh coat of stain. The set has been hardly used in the last few years, and is about 10 years old ( lifespan 15+ yrs.). Originally purchased for $1,500.00 and now selling for $150 OBO. Set will need to be disassembled when picked up (owner disabled).

$150 OBO

Thank you

PostingID: 1354179143

Rockman
09-30-2009, 01:07 PM
okay, foot in mouth. went to craigslist and found a few rainbow systems. seem to be priced very high.

Rainbow swingsets are WAY overpriced IMO. 75% of the cost is for the name and 25% is for the actual swingset itself...one of our neighbors has a rainbow playdeck and their kids come over to our house to play because ours has more to offer.

What ours cost in the end for having me build it myself vs what a similar Rainbow system would cost, we could have bought another whole playdeck and a good quality trampoline as well.

However, I did check into the RainBow King Kong playdeck but that one would have taken up our entire back yard...and the fact my wife wouldn't let me charge admission to the local kids to recoup the cost. :D

Just my :twocents:

causewayskiier
09-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Visit your neighbors that have older kids. They might give you one if you will haul it out of their yard. That's the way I got mine,

Ski-me
09-30-2009, 01:46 PM
We bought our first one from Sams Club....lasted about 4 years in Colorado Heat and Snow. Replaced with another Sams Club for around $800. I would only expect these to last for about5 years max! They get too flimsey by that time.....but keep in mind, as the kids get older, the less the become interested in the swing. Our 8 yr old still loves it but the 10 and 13 yr old are moving on. Sometimes we see the 10 yr old out there but not too often.

Bang for buck.....no way on Rainbow.

jwmiller
09-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Visit your neighbors that have older kids. They might give you one if you will haul it out of their yard. That's the way I got mine,

That how I got mine. $50.00 plus beers. He even helped me move it. And believe me its the moving that is the hard part.

Gonzo
09-30-2009, 02:58 PM
yea I found one on CL, I had looked at it at the end of August and its still there. Got it for 350 and its got the twisty slide (250 new online) now to figure out how to get it home and clean it up.

I need some kids with weak minds and strong backs....