PDA

View Full Version : 96 prostar value with high hours/wear

Bookshelf
09-30-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm thinking about buying a 96 prostar w/ 275 hp TBI, powerslot, white/red. 4000 hours(ski program boat). It has the origninal engine/trans that function fine, oil and trans fluid were changed weekly. Some scratches/gouges in gelcoat in back and sides, carpet and upholstery on back seat and engine cover are trashed, drivers and observer seats and side panels are ok, teak swim platform has a crack in it. Value? Also, I'm not worried if I have to someday rebuild the engine, but are parts for the Hurth powerslot drive readily available? Thanks

Jim@BAWS
09-30-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm thinking about buying a 96 prostar w/ 275 hp TBI, powerslot, white/red. 4000 hours(ski program boat). It has the origninal engine/trans that function fine, oil and trans fluid were changed weekly. Some scratches/gouges in gelcoat in back and sides, carpet and upholstery on back seat and engine cover are trashed, drivers and observer seats and side panels are ok, teak swim platform has a crack in it. Value? Also, I'm not worried if I have to someday rebuild the engine, but are parts for the Hurth powerslot drive readily available? Thanks

Hurth Transmission parts are all available. As far as interior goes the original skins are no
longer available from MasterCraft. Any good quality vinyl shop can match it pretty darn close so that the Normal Joe would never notice.... 4000 hours WOW

PS what is the asking price???

Jim@BAWS

Bookshelf
09-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Hurth Transmission parts are all available. As far as interior goes the original skins are no
longer available from MasterCraft. Any good quality vinyl shop can match it pretty darn close so that the Normal Joe would never notice.... 4000 hours WOW

PS what is the asking price???

Jim@BAWS

By the time I get it home (transportation) I'd have $4600 into it... You'd probably know better than anyone- what does a 96 in good shape sell for? I don't have a ton to spend, don't have inside storage so I don't want a mint boat, and it would be nice to have the EFI, bigger interior, Chevy 350, etc of a newer boat for the $ of an older one. I don't want to have as much $ tied up in it as I could have spent buying a nice one though...

JohnE
09-30-2009, 09:11 AM
A '96 in nice shape with under 1000 hours would be worth $12- $14K IMO.

Thrall
09-30-2009, 10:27 AM
A '96 in nice shape with under 1000 hours would be worth $12- $14K IMO.

That's what I think too, but I haven't had any takers at $12.5k on mine. 500hrs, ND tower, racks, bimini, d@mn near mint. Anyone want to buy a boat?
Don't know jow much you're figuring for shipping, but I wouldn't give over $2k for the boat. If it's still for sale in a couple weeks, it's not a steal.
If you're on a budget, I'd spend the same $5k on an older boat that's in nice shape. A cover with a blue tarp over it will keep it nice stored outside. Heck you can buy one of those plastic garages for $300.

Bookshelf
09-30-2009, 10:43 AM
That's what I think too, but I haven't had any takers at $12.5k on mine. 500hrs, ND tower, racks, bimini, d@mn near mint. Anyone want to buy a boat?
Don't know jow much you're figuring for shipping, but I wouldn't give over $2k for the boat. If it's still for sale in a couple weeks, it's not a steal.
If you're on a budget, I'd spend the same $5k on an older boat that's in nice shape. A cover with a blue tarp over it will keep it nice stored outside. Heck you can buy one of those plastic garages for $300.

I was figuring in $800 in transportation costs for me going to get it(fuel, hotel, food). I know what you mean about the market. Every week it gets colder here, and now the seaon is more or less over, and the boats are getting cheaper. I ran across a 91 w/ 600 hours the other day for $5900, which is more than likely a better buy. I want to get one w/ a Chevy TBI motor in it though, and the 95+ hull would be nice.

Jim@BAWS
09-30-2009, 10:52 AM
By the time I get it home (transportation) I'd have $4600 into it... You'd probably know better than anyone- what does a 96 in good shape sell for? I don't have a ton to spend, don't have inside storage so I don't want a mint boat, and it would be nice to have the EFI, bigger interior, Chevy 350, etc of a newer boat for the $ of an older one. I don't want to have as much $ tied up in it as I could have spent buying a nice one though...

You will be in in right that is for sure

A compression test would say alot !!!

Jim@BAWS

JohnE
09-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I was figuring in $800 in transportation costs for me going to get it(fuel, hotel, food). I know what you mean about the market. Every week it gets colder here, and now the seaon is more or less over, and the boats are getting cheaper. I ran across a 91 w/ 600 hours the other day for $5900, which is more than likely a better buy. I want to get one w/ a Chevy TBI motor in it though, and the 95+ hull would be nice.

I'd buy the 91 w/ 600 hours over the 96 w/ 4000 hours. You can dump a lot of money in a boat in a short time.

JohnE
09-30-2009, 11:19 AM

I figure yours is worth $12.5 too. You just need the buyer to find you. Seriously. If you drop it to $10K it'll sell right away because it is worth a lot more.

Thrall
09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I figure yours is worth $12.5 too. You just need the buyer to find you. Seriously. If you drop it to $10K it'll sell right away because it is worth a lot more.

Yeah, I know. I can hang onto it over the winter for that much of a hit, though. It's the right time to buy a new boat, that's for sure. Hence the X2 that's crowding my old Prostar out of the garage right now!