PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of gas. Replace fuel pump?

kmallen999
09-29-2009, 03:55 PM
I ran out of gas in my 2003 X7 w/ Vortec engine. When I filled the tank and went back out, the engine started twice, once for about 1/2 a second, and again for about 2 seconds. After that, it would not start anymore, just turn over and over. If the fuel pump needs to be replaced, can anybody tell me if this is a difficult job? I'm mechanically inclined and have done this before on a car, but not a boat. With the dealer quoting me $437.99 inc. tax for parts and $109.00 for labor, I'd really like to be able to take this on myself.:confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice I receive.

Prostar19
09-29-2009, 04:06 PM
pretty easy to do just a bunch of allen head screws. There is a tool to release the hose connections but I do not remember the size. I got it at an auto parts store.

russlars
09-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Not too difficult of a job with the exception of the special tool to remove the fuel line. Just make sure that you have a new gasket and a new fuel filter to change out while you are in there.

bturner2
09-29-2009, 04:54 PM
There is a detailed thread on fuel pumps and replacemtn option on this site. Do a search and read the article to decided how you want to go about fixing it. My dealer recently told me that they've started rebuilding the assm. based on the post.

johkur
09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Seems like most of the cost is the part, and the labor is not that bad considering the downside of making a mistake when you change the pump, what you do with the old pump, etc.
The phrase "have a blast" comes to mind.

But I do find it annoying that running out of fuel costs you a new fuel pump.
I realize that the pump is liquid cooled, BUT the engine computer and other computers on the boat know your fuel level, it really should not be that hard for the computer to shut off the engine when low enough fuel to kill the fuel pump is reached.
And shouldn't there be rebuilt fuel pumps around yet, considering how many people have run out of fuel and killed their pumps? Where do all those old pumps go?

bigmac
09-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Your options are

--dealer does it for $437+$109

--you replace the entire pump module for $437. This is a pretty straightforward process.

--you replace the fuel pump in the module for $99.

Note: if you want to consider option #3, read through all of the many, many posts on the subject. It is certainly do-able, but there are some tricky points you'd need to be aware.

meg
09-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Bottom Line: There is a flaw in a product that breaks if a fuel tank gets below a 1/4 of a tank!!!!!
This problem should have been rectified long ago and you can say keep your tank above 1/4 but that is not a solution

T-Rager
09-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I ran out of gas in my 2003 X7 w/ Vortec engine. When I filled the tank and went back out, the engine started twice, once for about 1/2 a second, and again for about 2 seconds. After that, it would not start anymore, just turn over and over. If the fuel pump needs to be replaced, can anybody tell me if this is a difficult job? I'm mechanically inclined and have done this before on a car, but not a boat. With the dealer quoting me $437.99 inc. tax for parts and $109.00 for labor, I'd really like to be able to take this on myself.:confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice I receive.

Have you actually checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail to validate that the fuel pump is the culprit? It would be a shame to replace the fuel pump if it has not failed.

Tom

mccobmd
09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey # 1, :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

bigmac
09-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Bottom Line: There is a flaw in a product that breaks if a fuel tank gets below a 1/4 of a tank!!!!!
This problem should have been rectified long ago and you can say keep your tank above 1/4 but that is not a solutionActually, we don't know if the problem has been rectified, and maybe it has been. There have been some changes to the fuel pump engineering (we think) since about 2007 or so, and even the replacement modules MC is sending these days appear to be built differently than the 2000-2006 pump modules. Whether that solves the problem - probably to early to tell, but it is true that they still recommend not letting the tank get below 1/4 full. It's probably worth noting that most modern automobiles also recommend strongly against running out of gas for the same reasons - contribution to fuel pump failure.

TX.X-30 fan
09-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Easy job, look for Boofers fuel pumps 101 I believe. Change the filter if you want for 115 bucks from the dealer, I changed mine and once the old one dried it looked like the rip-off-priced new one.

TX.X-30 fan
09-29-2009, 08:30 PM
worth noting that most modern automobiles also recommend strongly against running out of gas for the same reasons - contribution to fuel pump failure.

Not if you use synthetic oil. :D

bigmac
09-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Not if you use synthetic oil. :D
Or 20% ethanol....

kmallen999
09-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Have you actually checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail to validate that the fuel pump is the culprit? It would be a shame to replace the fuel pump if it has not failed.

Tom

I wouldn't even know how to do this. Anybody out there who could explain this procedure? After reading everything, I did forget to mention that my fuel guage has been faulty so I don't truly know that it was out of gas, so perhaps it's not the fuel pump. Also, is there anyone who can help point this rookie to the many many threads on changing a fuel pump? Not seeing it.

bigmac
09-30-2009, 01:27 AM
I wouldn't even know how to do this. Anybody out there who could explain this procedure? After reading everything, I did forget to mention that my fuel guage has been faulty so I don't truly know that it was out of gas, so perhaps it's not the fuel pump. Also, is there anyone who can help point this rookie to the many many threads on changing a fuel pump? Not seeing it.

Unfortunately, Boofers nice pictures of the process seem to have disappeared

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25783
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=24965
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25391
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31267

Bottom line, you can just replace the pump itself in the module using an Airtex 2044 or an AC Delco EP356. Autozone carries the Airtex for $94. You can pull the module, remove the pump and replace it. Make sure you're careful with the in-tank hose from the pump to the regulator. It's not replaceable (no aftermarket hose available), so if you damage it trying to get it off the pump...you're hosed.

Make sure that you can hear the fuel pump spinning up first -- that it has power. If it does, find the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and press it with the key on...fuel should squirt out. Fuel pressure, just get a $30 fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the schrader valve (bicycle-type valve) on the fuel rail. Check the pressure at key on...should be around 60 psi with the fuel pump energized.

scramison
09-30-2009, 05:28 AM

Open the bilge cover and your fuel tank is the yellow/white rectangular container that takes up a good amount of that area. You should be able to see where the fuel line is in the container (if you have decent light) and that will tell you if you ran out of gas or were close.