PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing an '08 Supra Launch

Thrall
09-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Going to help my boss winterize his '08 launch this weekend. He said the owners manual sucks for directions. I know it's an Indmar, but not the MCX, it's a 340hp something or other.
Anyone worked on one of these (has the ETX cat exhaust)? I'm sure the engine and heater will be similar to my boats that I just did last weekend, but anything different I should look out for there?
Also, is there a built in tee or port to antifreeze the ballast bags, or do I need to put one in the intake line?
Any help would be appreciated. The Supra forum leaves alot to be desired.:D No info there.

east tx skier
09-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I think it will all look very familiar to you once you are under the motorbox. My brother in law has a 98 Comp and I've helped him with a few things over the years. Not sure about the tee in the line, but my guess would be that it isn't there.

Thrall
09-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks Doug. I'm sure it's similar. Not sure what to expect about the exhaust w/ cats, can't be too difficult. My X2 has a real convienent tee for flushing/filling the ballast. I told him to get a barbed tee to put in both raw water lines, he wants to fill the engine w/ coolant as well for teh winter, and we'd be set.
Just want to have all my stuff together, like is the oil drain hose 3/8" NPT or do I need to find another fitting? Oil filter, is it the same? Etc
This guy isn't very mechanically inclined, so asking him these questions ahead of time when the boat's 2hrs from both of us right now is useless.

Thrall
10-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Guess it was easy. The guy did it himself this weekend. Sounds like the setup was almost identical to our boats, except he pulled his ballast bags out and drained them.

WAKEPILOT12
11-04-2009, 02:08 AM
hey there. Sounds like you already got it done but i just wanted to pass on some useful information. With those new exhaust manifolds that are on that particular indmar....i work for a Mastercraft dealership parttime and i winterize boats with the MC tech. he was telling me the other day that you DO NOT want to fog the engine on indmars that are equipped with the ETX Cat exhaust because they have O2 sensors in the manifold. You will damage them with the fog oil and its a costly mistake from what i'm told.

Next, on the Supra, i just did two of them last week. Under the access panel over the transmission, there is a grey in color manifold for the ballast system that has a water strainer and three electrically actuated shut off valves. you want to disassemble the whole manifold and drain that strainer. That manifold retains a good amount of water and can cause damage to that manifold if it freezes. It wouldn't hurt to also blow the lines out to rid the system of water. Hope that helps.

Thrall
11-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the tips! I never got to go help the guy. He called me and said that it was getting shrink wrapped in an hour, so he told me he got it and don't bother coming over. I'll pss along the manifold info to him though, but I bet it's froze by now given the Denver weather a week ago.