PDA

View Full Version : Oil Hub Leak

meg
09-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Let me start by giving credit where credit is due: called Reliable about this and I had the plastic caps(2006 trailer) and within 4 days 4 FREE aluminum caps were at my house. I had water intrusion on 1 cap so I ended up chaning all 4 Friday. Drained the oil out(gave it 45 minutes to make sure it was all out) and put new cap on and refilled. The same one is leaking and my question is where else could the leak be coming from or could it be a little water that didn't drain out (when boat sat over the weekend it didn't look too bad but when I drove it the milky look came back)?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

kingwoodlee
09-29-2009, 12:00 PM
It can leak in three places. The cap you mentioned, the rear seal, or t he fill plug. That is it. Since you replaced the front cap with a new o-ring (i suppose) then that should not be it. The rear seal is probably the culprit. It can let oil out or water in.

Thrall
09-29-2009, 12:18 PM
You may have had just a little watery oil or water left in there. When I fixed one hub, I just drained and refilled...let it drain a while and the oil was milky after the next trip. When I replaced all 4 caps, I sprayed them out with some brake cleaner, let it evaporate and then a shot of WD40 to displace any water that might have been missed. No problems now. If oil isn't leaking, I'd say there's just some residual moisture left.
Glad Reliable took care of you. I called them about my '06 trailer. 2 caps had been warrantied by the MC dealer over the last couple years. When I got the boat this summer, another plastic cap was leaking. When I cleaned it out and reinstalled the cap, it sheared off in my hand. On others advice here, I called Reliable, spoke with Tim, I think. Explained very politely what was happening and asked if a better cap was available and that my boat is just out of mfr's warranty. Not only would Reliable not warranty some new caps for me, they wouldn't even sell me any. Had to get them from the dealer for $20 a piece.
Relaible, IMO, doesn't stand behind their crappy product!:mad:

ORX-1
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
yeah like Thrall said I replaced one on my '06 and had to rinse it with brake fluid cleaner for about 30 min untill the it ran through clear, to make sure that all the water was out before refilling them. I bet that you just still have some water in there, it was crazy how many times we had to flush them.

meg
09-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys I will try again and flush it good and check the rear seal!! It's no fun jacking up an
X30!!!!!