PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep the mice at bay?

deminimis
09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Sadly, thoughts are beginning to turn to Winter storage. I will store my boat in a shop/barn. We have wheat fields all around us, so I'm concerned about mice setting up house in my lovely MC. Sure, we have an unholy trio of outdoor cats that certainly help keep the mouse population in check, but they can't get them all. I've heard some folks have had success with moth balls, but I once tried an open box of moth balls on top of motorcycle battery in a motorcycle, only to discover mice made a nest right on top of the moth balls (not to mention another nest in the air box). My folks tried one of those sonic rodent deterrents back in the 80's at our old lake cabin. I think they got the rodent mating call version as it did nothing to discourage mice from the cabin and it almost seemed like the mice liked it. Poisons aren't really an option as for each mouse that bites the big one, there are plenty to takes it's place (plus the cats and dog are certain to eat the poisoned mice). So, what has worked for you folks? Thanks.

Justjoe
09-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Try a snake. They tend to keep the mice out. Remember to remove the snake before you get the boat out next year as it could add a higher level of excitement than your friends wish to share with you.

deminimis
09-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Remember to remove the snake before you get the boat out next year as it could add a higher level of excitement than your friends wish to share with you.
Wearing surf shorts sans the banana hammock has a similar effect.

CMack225vrs
09-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I have heard that dryer sheets work. Many, many dryer sheets stuffed under the seats, ski locker, etc. Advantage over mothballs: your boat smells good next spring.

I don't know if it works, but I'm giving it a try this winter.

TOO-TALL
09-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Snuggle fabric softner dryer sheets.Throw a few in the boat and your good to go.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Last winter was the first winter with my '77, and the dryer sheets worked great. Went to the dollar store and bought three big boxes and spread them throughout the boat. The boat was stored in northern Wisconsin where there are plenty of critters looking for a winter home. Not a single varmint took up residence in my boat. I would have gone the snake route, but the 30 below and four feet of snow might have reduced its effectiveness.

deminimis
09-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Fantastic! I used the ones with Fabreeze in our cars and Sportsmobile as killer air freshners. I'll definately give them a try in the boat. Thanks all!

erkoehler
09-28-2009, 11:20 PM
We use moth balls in our boat in N. Wi to keep the mice/chipmunks/squirrels/etc out of the boat in the winter.

ProStar200
09-29-2009, 12:17 AM
I agree with the guys, bounce sheets or any dryer sheets work best. I have used them in the boat, cottage and the travel trailer for years. No problems.

Jerseydave
09-29-2009, 02:42 AM
I agree with the guys, bounce sheets or any dryer sheets work best. I have used them in the boat, cottage and the travel trailer for years. No problems.

Ditto on the bounce dryer sheets.......lots of them!
(I hate the smell of moth balls-yuk! They're only good if you want your boat to smell like grandma) :D

ProStar200
09-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Ditto on the bounce dryer sheets.......lots of them!
(I hate the smell of moth balls-yuk! They're only good if you want your boat to smell like grandma) :D

Nobody wants their boat to smell like Grandma.