PDA

View Full Version : moving trailer in tight locations

shamco
09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
I will need to put my boat into our side entry garage this winter. Due to other obstacles, it will be difficult to back the trailer into the garage using my truck. Are there any "devices" or ideas out there that will make this easier. Mostly flat but will need to get the trailer over the garage threshold - about 1-1/2" tall.

JohnE
09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Some use tractors for this. Some use a hitch on the front of a truck for better sight and maneuverability. There are also powered trailer dollies...

Thrall
09-28-2009, 09:13 PM
I have a side entry garage and it would be physically impossible to get either boat in without the ball hitch on the front of my old CJ5.
If you have a single axle trailer, it's much easier. A big lawn tractor or small 4 wheeler could do the trick. WIth a tandem axle and jackknifing the trailer to get it in, I don't think anything less than a vehicle would push it around the corner....plus my driveway is uphill to the garage door.
They make trailer hand dollies, but you may need a bunch of people pushing!

I'd reccomend putting a front hitch on the shortest vehicle you have if the dolly won't work (for a tandem trailer anyway).

Miss Rita
09-28-2009, 11:17 PM
You can get dollies at Harbor Freight to put under the tires. They'll raise the whole thing about 1-2". With the trailer sitting on the dollies it can be pushed sideways or even spun around backwards by hand.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/32000-32099/32052.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32052

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-28-2009, 11:35 PM
We have a powered dollie and it's been great. We have an incline with a 90deg turn into our garage. The powered dollie makes it all happen.

http://www.powermoverinc.net/

tph
09-29-2009, 02:02 AM
I too use a front mounted hitch. Another approach I have used in the past is to mount an electric winch (12 V DC) to the back of the garage and pull the trailer in. That way you only have to get the back of the trailer somewhat aligned with the door opening and then guide it in by hand while the winch does all the work. My trailer has a single axle. It might be more difficult with a tandem.

El Jeffe
10-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I used to use a power dollie to make the difficult turn that I when backing down the driveway...Finally ended up building something a bit different to handle the boat ans trailer for the winter.

The Power Dollie worked pretty well...As long as the place you want to use it is flat.

I still have the Power Dolly if anyone is interested...I do not need it anymore.

ROB
10-05-2009, 01:50 AM
I will need to put my boat into our side entry garage this winter. Due to other obstacles, it will be difficult to back the trailer into the garage using my truck. Are there any "devices" or ideas out there that will make this easier. Mostly flat but will need to get the trailer over the garage threshold - about 1-1/2" tall.

Here's what I use:

thatsmrmastercraft
10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Rob, did you get that little tractor from the airport?

bigmac
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I too use a front mounted hitch. Another approach I have used in the past is to mount an electric winch (12 V DC) to the back of the garage and pull the trailer in. That way you only have to get the back of the trailer somewhat aligned with the door opening and then guide it in by hand while the winch does all the work. My trailer has a single axle. It might be more difficult with a tandem.I have a buddy that does it that way with a tandem axle and it's been extremely effective. He anchored a 110 volt winch to the back of the garage, hooks the cable to the center of the front axle and pulls it back with the remote while steering it with a simple hand dolly from Northern Hydraulics.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/194686_lg.gif

I suspect that for that kind of tricky maneuvering, a power dolly would work better, but for him that system was good enough, and cost him about 1/4 th what a power dolly would cost.

dtc
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I used to use a power dollie to make the difficult turn that I when backing down the driveway...Finally ended up building something a bit different to handle the boat ans trailer for the winter.

The Power Dollie worked pretty well...As long as the place you want to use it is flat.

I still have the Power Dolly if anyone is interested...I do not need it anymore.

Message sent to ya ...

El Jeffe
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Here's what I use:

ROB, where did you pick that up and how much did it run you?