PDA

View Full Version : Problem on the lake - Please help

amanbei
09-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Everyone. We purchased a '07 245 with a lot of help from this board. It just had it's 10-20 hour service and we took it to the lake (Lake Powell). We have encountered a problem I was hoping you could give us some help with. The challenge is we are 400 miles from the nearest dealer but there are probably good mechanics around if the problem is not too big.

1) Yesterday we were cruising and pulling people when after 1/2 hour of so the rpm just dropped from about 4000 to 2000. The driver put the boat in neutral, put it in gear again and all was well.

2) Today, I was pulling folks and after about 1/2 hour while I was pulling a skier I just lost power. I tried putting it back in gear and starting but started hearing horrible grinding noises from the transmission area. I tried several times with the same result. I thought for sure I have a serious transmission issue. We had our other boat tow us to the houseboat. This took about an hour. At the houseboat we started the boat and it was as if there isn't a problem. We ran the boat for 15 minutes in the bay near our houseboat and could not recreate the issue.

Please help. A couple of thought we have had: 1) transmission overheat - we checked the fluid level and its full 2) Electrical problem ???

One more question - for warranty items does a mastercraft dealer have to do the servicing or can we take it to a local shop and get reimbursed by either mastercraft or the dealer.

Thanks! The experts on this board are a great help to us newbies.

russlars
09-28-2009, 04:46 PM
This may be a long shot but have you checked your transmission cooler to see if there is any blockage from debris? Also, is your transmission fluid level showing full?

G-man
09-28-2009, 05:10 PM
See if you can find an Indmar dealer, maybe there is a Supra dealer closer that could look at it. Manufactures will not pay for work done by other shops that are not a dealer for them.

FrankSchwab
09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
The RPM reduction could be an Engine Overheat. I know that various engines in various years had that safety feature; did the gauge show hot?
If the raw water impeller had come apart, you might see symptoms similar to what you're seeing: as the rubber vanes (that are now inside the engine) move around, they could block various passages (say, the thermostat) causing an overheat. When you cut back the engine speed to idle, the coolant flow changes, and the piece moves around. I know there's generally nothing in Lake Powell to clog the cooling system, but check anyway - check all the lines and filters from the intake on the bottom of the boat to the raw water pump, including pulling the impeller and checking it. Pull the lines off the intake side of the trans cooler as russlars recommends, and check for obstructions. I have a seperate water filter between the intake grate and the trans cooler; if you have one check it.

As far as the grinding - I've got nothing on that one. I don't know if a badly adjusted throttle mechanism could cause these kinds of failures, but you could try reverse instead of forward - perhaps the "neutral" position on the throttle (which is a mechanical stop on the throttle assembly" isn't the same as the "neutral" position at the transmission, and you're ending up with the transmission partially engaged? Reverse shouldn't show an issue if that's the case.

Good luck. The Weather up there must be beautiful. Watch out for the end of the week, however, it's supposed to get chilly (high 80s here in Phoenix).

/frank

Skipper
09-28-2009, 07:43 PM
There is a boat mechanic on Glen Canyon Drive (on top of the hill) name Bill Sheilds. He has been fixing boats at Lake Powell for more than 30 years. Before you head to the shop, check the transmission cooler for debris. I hauled my boat 2000 miles across the country, eight hours behind a house boat, set up the slalom course, then on the first pass had similar symptoms. The transmission cooler was full of tiny bits of driftwood.

amanbei
09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
We're on hold now until the problem resurfaces. We just ran for 2 hours with nothin. We checked the lines and the trans cooler...I'll keep you in tune.