PDA

View Full Version : How to use Battery Charger?

ORX-1
09-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I have the onboard battery charger that came with the boat (OEM) but have never used it. Going into fall the boat may be sitting a little longer between uses, at what point should I plug a cord into the charger? Also where do up put the dial to in order to run it properly? I usually turn it “off” when I get home.

Thanks!

Cloaked
09-28-2009, 09:44 PM
I have the onboard battery charger that came with the boat (OEM) but have never used it. Going into fall the boat may be sitting a little longer between uses, at what point should I plug a cord into the charger? Also where do up put the dial to in order to run it properly? I usually turn it “off” when I get home.

Thanks!Steer clear of a charger for maintenance. They will ruin a battery.

Battery Tender is what you want for winter layup. I use one year-round on several batteries.

http://batteries.batterymart.com/search/index?query=battery%20tenders

Here is the model that I prefer.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-del-021-0128.html

Get an extension cord for the plug-in while you're at it. Nothing worse than walking over a cord. I use the 25' and hang it from above. I have 7 of these in my garage.

ORX-1
09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply, the charger I have is the factory installed one. I just don't know how to use it....

Loffgren
09-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Leave mine plugged in 24X7 so far no problems...I am trusting the charger has float and equilization capabilities. I better read up on that

ORX-1
09-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Loffgren where do you put the dial? just on "off"

Loffgren
09-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Loffgren where do you put the dial? just on "off"

As bad as this sounds, what dial, I am gonna check it out when i get home. As far as I know there is a solid state charge under the back seat.I assume its a "smart charger" I use a cord and leave it plugged in. I better stick my head under there and look.

OOO I gotcha "off" I leave the selector switch "on"

sand2snow22
09-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Gregg, do you have 2 batteries? I have one battery with a charger & no dial. Pat should know what position to put the dial in. I'm guessing 2.....

WakePowell
09-29-2009, 10:14 PM
The factory installed "charger" is a battery tender. Just plug it in and it will keep your batteries charged and in good shape. I usually turn my batteries to off while its plugged in but I do not think it matters where you have it set.

ORX-1
09-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah Bryan two batteries, and the dial I am talking about is under the back seat, I usually trun mine to "off" when I get home but wasn't sure if there is a certian position to have it while the cord is pluged in. Sounds like I can leave it set to off and plug right in. Thanks guys!

Kell
10-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Hmmmmmmmm, I will have to look and see if I have the "tender" as well in my 09 X2. Don't recall seeing any plug or socket. Is the socket under the rear port seat where the battery switch/lights are?

ORX-1
10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Kell it's on the outside wall of the port rear seat ( facing in the cockpit) , it has a black rubber cover on it.

Kell
10-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Kell it's on the outside wall of the port rear seat ( facing in the cockpit) , it has a black rubber cover on it.
Nope, didn't get the factory tender. :( Sounds like a nice option to have though.

sand2snow22
10-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Kell, was your boat at the PL demo? Your boat wasn't in the water on Saturday, so we took out the X-45.

Kell
10-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes, it was. On Sat it was on the trailer on the grass, Sunday they moved it to the water so we could demo it. Bought it about 3 weeks later. :DKell, was your boat at the PL demo? Your boat wasn't in the water on Saturday, so we took out the X-45.

ORX-1
10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Kell- Your boat is by far the best looking X2 out there. If I could have afforded to order one I would have gone with an all white no question about it!

Kell
10-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Kell- Your boat is by far the best looking X2 out there. If I could have afforded to order one I would have gone with an all white no question about it!
Thanks ORX-1, we have enjoyed our new ride, but it goes in for hibernation this Tuesday...its going to be a long winter! I'll miss her!:D