PDA

View Full Version : Engin noise through speakers

boatweight
09-28-2009, 11:47 AM
You have to love it when your wife says "it would be nice if the music was louder", which means, go spend some money on a new amp and speakers for the boat. I installed my new amp and speakers using the current ACC 1 switch on the dash (ACC 2 is running my XM kit) just using the power and ground that was running my stereo before.

Before adding the amp I had no engine noise at all but now with the amp installed I have more egine and accessory noise then music. Kind of ruined the "Wait until you hear how good the music sounds now"'; sounded great in the drive way?

Any ideas? Do I need wire the Amp to it's own ground or power supply?

Thanks.

vision
09-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Connect amp directly to batter(ies) with no switches in between.

bturner2
09-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Grounding is critical in boats. Make sure you're using marine rated and properly sized power and ground cables. I bought all my installation materials from Genuinedealz.com. High quality products at good prices and excellent customer service.

Thrall
09-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I presume you are only switching the amp on/off with the ACC switch and have a relay in line with the amp wired direct off of the battery. That shouldn't cause engine noise, but will not have enough juice to run ANY amp.
Bad ground could cause some buzzing in the spkrs. My 96 had a bad ground to the head unit that took a while to locate.
Your spark plugs could be a likely cause of engine noise. They need to be resistor plugs. Most brands have an "R" in the plug # to denote this. ie: MR43LTS, the reccomended AC plugs for your engine. BR9EYA (NGK for my sleds), etc.
Keeping electrical wires from different sources separated also helps with "noise".
If the pitch of the noise is clearly changing with engine rpms, I'd look at the spark plugs first.

boatweight
09-29-2009, 05:02 PM
thanks for the help. I have noticed that if the engin is off but I turn the blower on the noise is even worse then the engine noise. I will start with isolating the amp and see what happens since the noise only started after I connected the amp to the ACC switch.

thanks everyone.