PDA

View Full Version : Career Prop Count

BRAZOS 205
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Mosaics thread on his damaged shaft and prop and the fact my new prop from OJ came today got me thinking about how many props I've gone through in my career of boating, which is short compared to others (6 years). I wanted to see what other boaters have experienced. I can imagine some people might have to give a per year average. This includes rebuilds.

I only have 1.25 years behind an inboard, my first 5 years of boating were on a glastron / evinrude outbourd with aluminum props that bent if you ran over a twig.

Total count: 8 props in 6 years = 1.33/year

Andyg
06-07-2005, 05:18 PM
I never even dinged the prop on my 97 190 for the 5 years I had it. This spring I put my new ACME on my 197 and first weekend out I put a nice ding it. So for 6 years that is 1 prop. Not too bad I guess.

.167 / year

east tx skier
06-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Dinged 1 aluminum prop on my old I/O on a crappy launch while my SS prop was being refurbed from a previous owner ding it had.

I have yet to ding either the stock 3 blade OJ or my acme 3 blade on my boat. (knock wood).

I lactomangulated my father in law's OJ force (4 blade). OJ's repair brought it to better than new condition.

So, I have no idea what my count is. 1, I guess, for the I/O aluminum prop. Other props were either dinged when I got them, or not my props.

erkoehler
06-07-2005, 05:22 PM
20 years old, have been in boats since 6 months, and have only used the factory props on the outboard and so far on the inboard.

u29460
06-07-2005, 05:32 PM
2 props and 3 retools in 1 year...... but really I have very good excuses for each and every time I screw one up.... really! :D

ski_king
06-07-2005, 05:43 PM
One repairable ding the first season, then 22 ding free seasons.
I guess that puts me at 0.04 per year.

I hope I didn't just jink myself.

Before I had my own boat, I probobly averaged one per year in my dad's boat though. I guess that is one reason I don't let my kids take the boat out without me.

Mosaic13
06-07-2005, 05:44 PM
It has to depend a lot on the lakes in your area. In the North Georgia/Alabama region every lake worth being on is man made. Also, they seem to take special pride in the fact that all these dam'd up rivers are "all natural" (in other words no clear cutting). It's great for fishing and that's what most folks in this area care about. But lots of trees near the side. The other day I bumped my hull (didn't leave a mark) on a standing tree in 60' of water. Also, they always take the lakes way down in the winter for flood control. When they fill 'em up in the Spring all the crap on the side on the lake gets pulled in. It's an adventure. In the Southwest where I'm from originally they don't have that problem. They just fill up a huge dirt hole and everyone's happy. But I will say this...if you ever get a chance to ski/board Wedowee early in the day you'd see why it's so special. Other than the occasional fisherman flying around, it's butter for miles and miles.

BRAZOS 205
06-07-2005, 05:51 PM
One repairable ding the first season, then 22 ding free seasons.
I guess that puts me at 0.04 per year.

I hope I didn't just jink myself.

Before I had my own boat, I probobly averaged one per year in my dad's boat though. I guess that is one reason I don't let my kids take the boat out without me.
That's amazing, 22 seasons!!!
I do ski the rivers and a lake that is just a dam'd up river, lots of trees on the shore lines. I hope my new prop will last a few seasons ding free.

martini
06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
0 props dinged or destroyed over a span of 8 years on various vessels. I know I am flirting with disaster at this very moment!

ski_king
06-07-2005, 06:08 PM
That's amazing, 22 seasons!!!
I do ski the rivers and a lake that is just a dam'd up river, lots of trees on the shore lines. I hope my new prop will last a few seasons ding free.
Well, I have only been on the same body of water for those 22 years. A river that has locks and dams and has been activally dredged for gravel the entire time. The bottom averages about 30 feet deep. The places that are shallow, I know of and have been lucky that somebody found them before me.
Places to watch out for are under bridges, power lines, small stream enterances, and shore lines.