PDA

View Full Version : Blisters

tlcrichardson
09-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Tell me about them. I am a new owner and I have been all over the boat. I assume a "blister" would like a blister. Is it in the gel coat or the fiberglass and what causes it. I do not see anything that I think would be a blister. Just curious and want to keep an eye out if that is something that happens often. Thanks for the information and sorry about foolish questions, but inquiring minds want to know. 6-7 more months I will beable to put it back in the water up here.

JimN
09-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Tell me about them. I am a new owner and I have been all over the boat. I assume a "blister" would like a blister. Is it in the gel coat or the fiberglass and what causes it. I do not see anything that I think would be a blister. Just curious and want to keep an eye out if that is something that happens often. Thanks for the information and sorry about foolish questions, but inquiring minds want to know. 6-7 more months I will beable to put it back in the water up here.

Blisters can be large or small. If it's in the layers of the fiberglass, it's harder to repair. Leaving a boat in the water can cause small blisters to form, generally by osmosis.

88 PS190
09-27-2009, 07:46 PM
The gel coat isn't truly waterproof, as the hull sits in the water there can be some uptake of water which leads to blistering.

Your best bet is to always store your boat on the lift, not on a float in the lake. And I would make sure to keep it well waxed. Seems to be a good idea although no science on that.

tlcrichardson
09-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Is this will all boats or just mastercraft? My last boat was in the water from May-September(our entire time at camp) and I never have seen blisters. Or is it a worry when you can leave the boat in 8-12 months a year. Thanks.

bturner2
09-28-2009, 06:45 AM
It can occur on any fiberglass boat of any make. Quality manufactures of boats these days have taken steps to reduce the possibility of blisters by changing the layup and the formula of the gel coat and by adding barrier coats to reduce the absorbsion of moisture. This reduces the possibility of getting blisters but does not completely eliminate it from happening. The best defense as stated above is to keep the hull clean and waxed and to store on a lift out of the water whenever possible. If you're going to spend big dollars for a MC, spend the extra $4K for a lift. Good used lifts in my area can be had for as little as $2K.

tlcrichardson
09-28-2009, 07:11 AM
I am in the process of looking for a lift. Again thanks for the infromation and I am sure I will have many more questions to ask. Nothing like owning a Mastercraft.

oldriver
09-28-2009, 07:16 AM
I have the lift for you in the marketplace in misc.
good luck

bigmac
09-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Is this will all boats or just mastercraft? My last boat was in the water from May-September(our entire time at camp) and I never have seen blisters. Or is it a worry when you can leave the boat in 8-12 months a year. Thanks.
It's hit or miss within individual boat brands, but virtually all of the ski boat owner's forums have threads on blistering. Mastercraft has had a warning about it being a excluded from warranty since the 80's.

I've seen people who keep their boat in the water all the time and have never had a problem, and I saw one guy post here who got blisters exactly where his boat rested on wet carpeted bunks on his trailer.

Bottom line...keep it in the water and you may get blistering of your gelcoat unless you apply a barrier paint.

JimN
09-28-2009, 09:43 AM
A major factor is the restrictions placed on coating manufacturers regarding the amount of some ingredients in their products, like styrene. This is in gel coat and fiberglass resins and when less can be used, the strength and quality suffer. It's not just MC, it affects all US made and applied coatings that use it. Another example is California's banning the use of nitrocellulose lacquer unless the right kind of spray booth is used. Failure to meet this requirement results in a fine of at least $10,000 and causes people and companies to search for alternatives that may, or may not, give the same quality of results.

ttu
09-28-2009, 10:00 AM
It's hit or miss within individual boat brands, but virtually all of the ski boat owner's forums have threads on blistering. Mastercraft has had a warning about it being a excluded from warranty since the 80's.

I've seen people who keep their boat in the water all the time and have never had a problem, and I saw one guy post here who got blisters exactly where his boat rested on wet carpeted bunks on his trailer.

Bottom line...keep it in the water and you may get blistering of your gelcoat unless you apply a barrier paint.

when i had my 05 supra ssv22 i had blistering where the boat sat on the bunks of the trailer. they were repaired by skier's choice under warranty and sure as heck came back. skier's choice repaired them again and i sold the boat!:D