PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Missing! WTH

vandit0022
09-27-2009, 02:45 PM
So I've had my boat for a couple months, and I haven't ever laid under the boat to look at the hull from the bottom until yesterday. I found a huge black mark with a big chunk of gelcoat missing! I haven't hit anything. Could trailering do this? Our ramps are pretty steep and I can't see any place on the trailer that could leave a mark like that or even hit that spot with the trailer sloped down in the water at any angle. The boat cannot go any further forward on the trailer than is shown in the picture due to the picklefork pushing against the stops.

Any thoughts? The boat sat on the dealers lot for years before I bought it so it's possible it was there before I got it. I never did get under the boat to look at it which I should have obviously.

Thanks

JimN
09-27-2009, 02:51 PM
If you come in hot to the trailer and that's the first point of contact, I could see it causing a problem. It's possible that it had a blister before you got it but there's no way to verify that just by looking at your photos online. Have you beached the boat? I see other marks that are more or less parallel to the center line.

What is the dark line along the keel, across from the front end of the inner bunks?

Only MC will be able to advise on this.

TOO-TALL
09-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Is that a MC trailer?
I would say that black mark is from a black trailer roller.My old boat had a black roller and it would leave that same mark.till I changed it to a yellow one.
I've never seen a hole in fiberglass like that.The only thing I can think is someone came in alittle to fast when loading and hit the roller causeing it to chip or the boat was beached on a rock.

Did you buy new??
IF used it looks like the boat was beached a few times.

vandit0022
09-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Nope, no beaching.........not many beaches around Seattle. Jim the dark line is what drew my attention to that area, where the chunk is now missing right in the middle of that line which appears to be a black rubber mark. It goes right through the gelcoat right to the fiberglass which doesn't appear to be compromised.

What makes me think its not from my trailer is that there isn't any black rubber surface that could leave that mark other than the bunks and I haven't ever hit them hard. I idle her on every time. I think twice I've sorta bounced back and forth between the two sides a little but not at any speed or force and it just settled right into the center.

The first picture is just to show where the mark/chunk is. It's actually not parallel with the bunks it's just forward of them but couldn't get a good angle on the area from under the boat. I have to lay down on the ground to get to it.

Again it was used as a demo boat by Cope before they went under and then it sat on an MC lot for a couple years after that. I haven't ever crawled under the boat before yesterday. Could have been there from before (I'm hoping).

vandit0022
09-27-2009, 03:15 PM
There are no rollers on that trailer other than the two yellow ones you see in that picture. It's the Sportboat trailer that they used for the X80's for a while. I've seen alot of these triple axle trailers (with the stairs up the front). That was my thought too that it was black rubber roller or something but there isn't one on this trailer. My old boat would get the same black marks from the front black rubber bumper that you're talking about.

I did buy "new" but again, was a demo boat and got xferd from Cope to the MC dealer over the years and sat on the lot with test drives I'm sure. It's possible it got beached somewhere but I have no idea. My dealer has been awesome about fixing all the little things that needed replaced or repaired from sitting/demo for so long. Mostly it's all asthetic stuff plus a couple gelcoat issues that are being addressed when I take her in for winterization.

The bunks wouldn't leave marks like that would they? It's just carpeting.

Is that a MC trailer?
I would say that black mark is from a black trailer roller.My old boat had a black roller and it would leave that same mark.till I changed it to a yellow one.
I've never seen a hole in fiberglass like that.The only thing I can think is someone came in alittle to fast when loading and hit the roller causeing it to chip or the boat was beached on a rock.

Did you buy new??
IF used it looks like the boat was beached a few times.

TMCNo1
09-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Since the trailer is black, the keel may have hit one of the cross members when it got crossed up like you said it had or on someones previous attempt to load before you came along to purchase the boat. Next time it is off the trailer, inspect the back top edge of the cross members for scuffing by the keel. Something black has definitely has marked it's territory on the keel and the most likely culprit if it's not the clear rollers is the trailer cross members, not gray carpet either.

vandit0022
09-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Since the trailer is black, the keel may have hit one of the cross members when it got crossed up like you said it had or on someones previous attempt to load before you came along to purchase the boat. Next time it is off the trailer, inspect the back top edge of the cross members for scuffing by the keel. Something black has definitely has marked it's territory on the keel and the most likely culprit if it's not the clear rollers is the trailer cross members, not gray carpet either.

I'll have to look again closer but last I can recall I dont remember any big missing scrapes of black paint off the cross supports. We had to have a couple bunks replaced when I bought it as some of the wood had cracked or collapsed from sitting so long and I thought I looked then but who knows.

I'm not sure she'll get off the trailer again this year. We barely hit 63 at this point in the day. Last Tuesday it was nearly 90 degrees. There is sun in Seattle believe it or not!

Even with these annoying hurdles this boat has been everything I hoped it would be. Never considered an MC before I started looking at them this year and can't see going back.