PDA

View Full Version : 08 197 steering

jteter08197
09-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Bought a used 197 08 with 100 hrs on it.

Steering makes a ratcheting noise when going to full lock when idling to the left? dealer I bought the boat from says this is normal?? any comments?

TMCNo1
09-27-2009, 10:02 AM
I've seen that before and it's caused by the discharge of water from each prop blade against and across the rudder and it has a different effect from port to starboard side due to the rudder offset in relationship to the propshaft. The effect could also be different from model to model depending on the hull/keel/transom configuration. It's just one of those particulars of a inboard, just like the ability to back to starboard, but not to port, because of the lack of prop wash across the rudder in reverse and the paddle action of the prop rotation.

jteter08197
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
I've seen that before and it's caused by the discharge of water from each prop blade against and across the rudder and it has a different effect from port to starboard side due to the rudder offset in relationship to the propshaft. The effect could also be different from model to model depending on the hull/keel/transom configuration. It's just one of those particulars of a inboard, just like the ability to back to starboard, but not to port, because of the lack of prop wash across the rudder in reverse and the paddle action of the prop rotation.
It is weird, I had a 1992 and it did not do it at all, and have never heard it on other boats, but have not been around a lot of 197s. any other comments