PDA

View Full Version : X2 porpoising with heavy ballast and ZO

Witness140
09-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Has anyone ever encountered porpoising in a pickle fork X2 with full stock and fly high ballast at 23mph and above? Had Ron on the airchair today - the first one to ride behind the boat with the fly high installed. Full tanks/bags all around, attitude plate all the way up, speed on the ZO set to 25mph. 20 gallons of fuel, driver only. Through 23mph it starts, and gets pretty nasty around 25mph. Had to go to 60% plate to dampen it out, but then we lost the wake. 23mph I can just barely keep her stable with no plate and the aft fly highs at 50%.

Just to mention - ZO does not like boat wakes or the porpoise action. It could be aggravating this here. In even the gentlest of rollers, ZO will throttle up and down to compensate for accel/decel of GPS sensor (I think) When the boat starts to porpoise - this gets horrible. Didn't try it yet on the PP.

Anyone else experienced this?

corey
09-27-2009, 09:39 AM
I've never driven with ZO. That being said I've never had a proplem with speed issues using perfect pass in an X-2 with the fly hi kit. I'd try PP and see what happens.

Witness140
09-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Let's hope, otherwise, I'm at a loss. I'll shoot some video next time out.

JohnE
09-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Jerry, why didn't you try PP at the time? Or no speed control just for trial? Didn't think of it??

erkoehler
09-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Make sure you turn the PP OFF! If it is on, the PP and the ZO will fight each other and cause a feeling similar to that.

venetrex
09-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Don't worry I truely believe it won't do it with perfect pass. Too bad the lake is glass today and it is raining, not too cold though, maybe the rain will stop.

Witness140
09-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Erk, I'll get back to you on that. You might be onto something. I've been having a lot of speed control issues with this boat. Last year it was common practice in the side by side installs to run both units simultaneously. Simply because the ZO would always completely override the PP, but we would get two independent sets of times in the course.

I've been having issues with speed accuracy with the PP, specifically - if the PP is off, the speed indicated on the main VDIG page at a given rpm would NOT match the speed readout when PP was engaged on the cruise screen at the same given rpm.

PP won't support the VDIG PP installs btw and they don't like talking to people who are having issues with it. I love politics.

So anyways, you may be right. This year, the interaction between the Medallion PP install is different than last year's master module based Stargazer / ZO head installs. So they could be fighting each other.

I was running both yesterday to see the speed disparity.

I'll report back. Thanks.

Witness140
09-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Jerry, why didn't you try PP at the time? Or no speed control just for trial? Didn't think of it??

Because I had Ron on the airchair the entire time and it's not really smooth to transition from the ZO to the PP on the fly.

Now like Ron says, its raining.

Tomorrow.....the sun will come out....tomorrow.

JohnE
09-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Rain here tomorrow......

TX.X-30 fan
09-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Rain here tomorrow......

Thanks Willard. :D

Witness140
09-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Sunny here, I guess there's another reason besides the Sox to not like Boston....

hawaiianstiln
09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
hmmmm, never had any porpoising in the X2 unless I have ballast tanks empty, 4-6 people in the back, nobody up front and i'm going over 35. I just usually fix that with filling the KGB or slow down a little bit. It's always at the end of the day and i'm just trying to haul a$$ back to the dock.

My setup in the X2 is stock ballast full, 300 lb sack up front, 4-5 people in the boat, 80' @ 24.5 MPH. The wake is perfect, no problems. Then again, I don't have ZO, just PP.