PDA

View Full Version : well, she left me straded....

SRussell
09-25-2009, 06:52 PM
What a way to start the weekend!
I have an 89 tristar 220 with the 454. Had it for about 3 months and it has been 100% reliable and strong. Anyway, rode down and dropped her in this afternoon for a quick ride since the wife and daughter are out of town and I had trouble from the get-go. She fired up right away and idled strong for about a minute then it started chugging. When I gave it a little throttle (in neutral) it started dying. Back at idle it ran rough but did not choke out. Now, I am not a mechanic of any kind nor do I play one on tv so I am using very elementary language. I walked it around the boathouse and let it idle for a few more minutes and it started hitting correctly. I idled around the slough and it sounded and felt fine so I headed out t o the main channel. Ran great for about 15 minutes then started chugging again. I almost made it back to the dock before it completely choked out. I spun it and it spun but did not start. waited.... again, no start only this time the starter kept spinning even after i took the key out. i had to disconnect the battery to stop it.
can i tell you how hard it is to paddle a Mastercraft!!!
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!!!!
Russ

cbryan70
09-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Take to lakepirate about the starter spinning. Its the starter relay I beleive.....cheap part that caused the started to keep spinning.

etduc
09-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Take to lakepirate about the starter spinning. Its the starter relay I beleive.....cheap part that caused the started to keep spinning.

You have two different problems.
1) can't help you
2) You over heated the starter soleniod, fused the contacts together. Is a cheap part, but do buy a marine type. They last longer, due to being sealed. Next time, when you have starting problems. Do not crank longer than, 10 seconds. Let sit, for a minute or two.
Then try again. After a couple of trys, let it sit, a long time.

Been there, done that. Good luck, with your 1st problem.

TMCNo1
09-26-2009, 12:11 PM
When it was chugging, choking down and trying to shut off and finally did shut off, was there a substantial amount of black choke type smoke and a smell of gas and is the transom covered with a above normal amount of black soot? If so, consider the power valve as the culpert. Also, if you get it running again before making any repairs and it starts acting up again, remove the flame arrestor and check the carb secondaries (rear pair of venturi) and if you see raw fuel being dumped in and they are all wet with gas, that too is a indication the power valeve is bad and it's flooding the engine. A power valve replacement or a complete carb rebuild will need to be performed.

SRussell
09-26-2009, 10:40 PM
When it was chugging, choking down and trying to shut off and finally did shut off, was there a substantial amount of black choke type smoke and a smell of gas and is the transom covered with a above normal amount of black soot? If so, consider the power valve as the culpert. Also, if you get it running again before making any repairs and it starts acting up again, remove the flame arrestor and check the carb secondaries (rear pair of venturi) and if you see raw fuel being dumped in and they are all wet with gas, that too is a indication the power valeve is bad and it's flooding the engine. A power valve replacement or a complete carb rebuild will need to be performed.

that's what confused me. the way it was acting it almost seemed like it was drowning in gas. there was nothing unusual coming from the exhaust. i wondered if it was a bad plug just misfiring. i will check under the flame arrestor if it fires up again, thanks for that advice! i didn't smell any gas though. i'm going to give it a try one day this week and see if it fires up.
hopefully i will report that all is well