PDA

View Full Version : Found and Fixed My Leak

bturner2
09-25-2009, 05:35 PM
I've had a nasty leak that's been a pain all summer. After seeing a post about the plastic drain plugs I pretty much figured this was where the water was coming from.

After some consideration and a call to the dealer to get replacement pricing I had pretty much decided to ditch the plastic and go with the "old school" bronze. The dealer told me they replaced several a year due to customers cross threading the plug and that they had several in stock. I figured if I was going to fix this I wanted to do it only once and thinking back to all my previous MasterCrafts this was one area on all of them that never once presented a problem.

I had heard different degrees of difficulty to swap over to bronze but the dealer was very helpful and told me it wasn't a big deal. Here are the steps I took to swap it out.....

1.) Get under the boat and take out the four screws.
2.) Use either a heat gun or hair dryer to get the drain plug housing hot. This will make the sealant pliable and easy to break free.
3.) Gently pry the plug housing away from the hull. I used a butter knife so I wouldn't chip or scratch the gel coat.
4.) The new bronze plug housing has a locating tab on it that the plastic one didn't. I used a dremel to make a notch for the tab to fit in. As this is fiberglass you could probably get away with some rolled up sand paper.
5.) The bronze housing will also have a radius at the base where the barrel meets the base plate. I used the dremel to radius the fiberglass on the outside for a better fit.
6.) Test fit and drill new holes for the screws. Fill old holes with either epoxy or sealant.
7.) Use 3M 5200 adhesive sealant or equivalent high quality sealant around the barrel base and where the base will contact the hull. Install the four screws.

And that's all there was to it. After writing this it sounds like a lot but I had mine swapped out in less than 45 minutes.

Had the boat out yesterday and no more leaks. To quote Forrest Gump..... "one less thing to worry about"

BTW The drain plug was off center and the screws that mounted it were all in at different angles when I started the project.

Here's a picture of the new bronze plug installed and the old cross threaded plastic piece.

TMCNo1
09-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Here's a source for the bronze replacement hull drains, http://www.bakesonline.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=732, for those who may be interested in replacing theirs.

vision
09-25-2009, 06:10 PM
bturner2 - Excellent post! Thanks for the directions.