PDA

View Full Version : Lifting my 89 ps190 out of water with a crane using straps.

hkallestad
09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
My original PS190 trailer is illegal on Norwegian roads because it has no brakes, my local marina's ramp is too steep and I can't get deep enough with the trailer, so instead of driving illegal from other marinas I'm considering lifting my boat out of water and onto the trailer using a crane and softslings at my local marina.

I see my boat has a "lifting eye" at the bow, is that meant for lifting the boat?? If so, how about the stern, no lifing eyes there? I'm thinking about running softslings under the boat both at the front and stern, I will have to dive under the boat to get the sling above the strut and axle of course. Is it safe without spreader bars if the slings are long??

Jimmauburn
09-25-2009, 05:00 PM
My old 88 prostar was lifted on a boat lift using the forward eye and the two on the back of the boat for 7 years and it was never a problem. There were times that we had to lift the boat almost 12 feet above the water to compensate for rising water.

corey
09-25-2009, 05:00 PM
You should have a single ring in the bow and two on the transom for lifting the boat. You can use a spreader bar on the transom to lift the boat evenly, we do this all the time to put boats on blocks. I've never used two slings but it seems like it would be more work than a spreader bar since you are loading and unloading it on a trailer.

bigmac
09-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Here's a cool thread that is a rather extreme example of lifting a MasterCraft boat.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14984

hkallestad
09-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Aha, the two small U-formed i the rear, didn't think they would handle lifting. I will have to check all 3 for corrosion before I'll try that, the boat runs i salt water;-)

Sodar
09-25-2009, 05:09 PM
You could also lift the trailer into the water using the trailer as a lift cradle. That way you would not need to worry about diving in to get the sling under the boat or the integrity of the lifting eyes. Just a last resort, I guess.

hkallestad
09-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I've been thinking about that, I'll have a look at the trailer if I can do that without damaging the fiberglass on the trailer.

TMCNo1
09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
My original PS190 trailer is illegal on Norwegian roads because it has no brakes, my local marina's ramp is too steep and I can't get deep enough with the trailer, so instead of driving illegal from other marinas I'm considering lifting my boat out of water and onto the trailer using a crane and softslings at my local marina.

I see my boat has a "lifting eye" at the bow, is that meant for lifting the boat?? If so, how about the stern, no lifing eyes there? I'm thinking about running softslings under the boat both at the front and stern, I will have to dive under the boat to get the sling above the strut and axle of course. Is it safe without spreader bars if the slings are long??

Anytime you lift a boat using straps under the hull and lift from overhead, you should use a spreader bar to keep the straps from pinching the hull and deck. Otherwise you can get stress cracks on the deck and on the hull in the area where the straps contact the rubrail.

hkallestad
09-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Ok, thanks. It will either be driving illegal or lift the whole trailer in the water, if I go for the trailer in the water solution I'll drill holes in the fiber glass above the trailer axle as close to the wheels as possible so that I can get the 2 rear straps at the axle at each side, the front strap will go as far forward as possible on the trailer(might touch the bow) wont be much weight on the forward strap. There will be pinching on the hull from the rear straps, but not as much, I'll see if i can use somethinh to avoid that;-)

shunra
09-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Ever think of putting brakes on your trailer. I am not an expert but the parts should all be available.

hkallestad
09-26-2009, 04:30 AM
I've given it a thought, but isn't they all hydraulic? For som ridicilous reason hydraulic trailer brakes are not legal in norway.

shunra
09-28-2009, 08:28 PM
I've given it a thought, but isn't they all hydraulic? For som ridicilous reason hydraulic trailer brakes are not legal in norway.

Yeah all the ones I have seen are hydraulic. Tough laws.

scramison
09-28-2009, 10:55 PM
That does sound rediculous. I bet there are planes that fly into Norway airports that have hydraulic brakes. I think I would just run the hydraulic brakes, I guess your worried about inspection or something?

Who would of thought hydraulic brakes didn't work in Norway :o

Chicago190
09-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Wait, aren't ALL brakes hydraulic? I know there are electrically activated trailer brakes, but I was under the impression that there was no such thing for boat trailers...ya know the whole water thing.

deereman
09-28-2009, 11:33 PM
put the electric brakes on. it would cost you a few hundred $$ but would probably be well worth it. I don't think the water would hurt them. You can pull a car hauler trailer in the rain and they still work. After all, they're magnetic--no exposed electricity. don't know how they would hold up in salt water though. its nice cuz theres no master cylinder or brake lins to deal with and the electric brakes are easy to replace when necessary. just a thought.

anybody else put the electric brakes on the trailer?

mbpd312
09-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Big, i looked, but there are 34 pages

hkallestad
09-29-2009, 03:52 AM
That does sound rediculous. I bet there are planes that fly into Norway airports that have hydraulic brakes. I think I would just run the hydraulic brakes, I guess your worried about inspection or something?

Who would of thought hydraulic brakes didn't work in Norway :o

It's only on small trailers like boat trailers, caravans ect that hydraulic brakes are not accepted, why I don't know, it's completely ridiculous, like many other laws and taxes we have in Norway, for instance on engines we pay horsepower tax, 140 NOK=25 dollar per horse, so for importing a standard indmar 351 I would have to pay 6000 dollars in tax, plus VAT.

hkallestad
09-29-2009, 03:55 AM
put the electric brakes on. it would cost you a few hundred $$ but would probably be well worth it. I don't think the water would hurt them. You can pull a car hauler trailer in the rain and they still work. After all, they're magnetic--no exposed electricity. don't know how they would hold up in salt water though. its nice cuz theres no master cylinder or brake lins to deal with and the electric brakes are easy to replace when necessary. just a thought.

anybody else put the electric brakes on the trailer?'

In Norway there's mechanical brakes, drum brakes and a rod or wire going from the front of the hanger to the hubs, crap compared to hydraulic brakes I guess. Havent seen electrical ones.

jomiddour
09-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I've been towing a 190 without trailer brakes with a pathfinder and have had zero problems. The boat isn't heavy enough to really need the brakes. (unless you're pulling it with a prius) If the fine isn't that steep I'd just roll the dice.

jomiddour
09-29-2009, 11:46 AM
or plead ignorance.

hkallestad
09-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Yep, I pull it just fine with my VW transporter, went for the illegal method today, it's only country roads anyway, no police;-) Good thing I brought my girlfriend, when I drove the boat onto the hanger it wouldnt stay there, so she had to be reay with the "locking bar" when I came all the way up on the trailer, bit hard to do that alone;-)