PDA

View Full Version : Utility Trailers

captain planet
09-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm looking to buy a tandem axle #7000 flat bed 16' long utility trailer w/ electric brakes. I have priced new ones around $2400 plus $300 for a full width fold down gate with expanded steel ramps. I have also considered looking at used ones as well. Most I have seen are pretty beat up, however I found one that was in pretty good shape. The guy is asking $1500 for it. The brakes aren't hooked up and there is no battery on the trailer. The brakeaway is there. Also, the axles aren't bent and overall the trailer doesn't look like it has been "ratted" on. It is 8 years old and the tires would probably need to be replaced in a year or so. I'm thinking $1200 is fair.

Other than the components I have looked at, what else is there to check out? I'm a little leery about buying a used trailer, but for the cost savings I'm really considering it.

Thrall
09-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Tires, $400+, breakaway battery, $100 +/-, bearings if needed, $100. Bearings should last a long time if they were maintained.
I'd go used if you can get into it for $1600 incl tires/battery and take my chances that I'd not ahve to spend the add'l $1000 in maint, but that's me. I never buy vehicles, boats, etc new.
Also, consider, storing the trailer. If it's left outside, you'll feel better about leaving an 8 yr old trailer out in the weather than a new one