PDA

View Full Version : MC wheels - plastic/vinyl coating on rims pitting - anything I can do?

brucemac
09-24-2009, 08:03 PM
so evidently there's some sort of coating on the MC rims?

mine are pitting a bit. is there any way to clean that up, make it better, or prevent from getting worse?

anything to stay away from that would make it worse? thanks in advance. looking to work on these this fall after i winterize.

TMCNo1
09-24-2009, 08:29 PM
so evidently there's some sort of coating on the MC rims?

mine are pitting a bit. is there any way to clean that up, make it better, or prevent from getting worse?

anything to stay away from that would make it worse? thanks in advance. looking to work on these this fall after i winterize.

Most machined aluminum wheels either have a clear powdercoating and or urethane clear painted coating that can be pitted or tarnished by a wheel cleaner that is too strong and is acidic enough to tarnish what ever coating is on it. Some people have had success polishing it out if it not got too bad yet.

brucemac
09-24-2009, 08:36 PM
yeah, that's right. i remember reading something about it last year. you can litterally pick at it when it's been in the sun and it feels like you could literally peel it away if you kept at it. i've never used anything but soap and water on them, but my guess is the damage was done before i bought her. so when you say polish, are you talking like elbow grease and a mild cutting polish or busting out the orbital?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Having worked for two different aftermarket wheel companies I may have some insight. No1 is correct about the different types of coatings on the wheels. I'm assuming these are polished aluminum wheels. They will also pit from brake dust. Does your trailer have brakes? The coating can also separate from the wheel in small or large areas usually from some contaminate penetrating the coating. There can also be problems from overheating from brakes hanging up as will sometimes happen on trailers. Some pictures would help.

If the coating has been compromised, you are pretty much out of luck short of stripping the coating completely off and polishing on a regular basis.

flipper
09-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Was it Harold that talked about using Pledge furniture wax on wheels to protect them? It won't fix what's damaged but may help it from getting any worse.

TMCNo1
09-25-2009, 06:23 AM
American Racing and Eagle wheels both recommend in their paperwork/instructions/warranty to use Pledge Furniture Polish on their wheels with mild soap and water, but both brands of wheels I have are chromed steel and chromed aluminum, with no clear coating. I don't think any other type wheel would be much different.

brucemac
09-25-2009, 01:34 PM
I'll snap a couple pics tonight so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for the replies.