PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here with oil filter questions

TEAL98
09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Hey guys, new to the site and also to the MasterCraft realm. I got into these boats originally because as far back as I can remember, my uncle was buying and selling MasterCrafts like I change my underwear, no joke. He was (and still is) a big time skiier, and I promised myself one day I'd have one of my own, and that dream came true about 3 weeks ago or so. I drove about 3 hours away to find a teal '98 with a hair over 400 hours on it, and now it's time to change the oil in it. The dealer I bought it from told me 15W40 non-synthetic, and I also talked to a dealer in MN that I just bought my boom from and they also said 15W40 is what is reccommended to run. I thought I had the LT1 until my uncle advised me it's the standard 350 Indmar, because it didn't have the "Corvette" valve covers. Well I bought the Delco PF454 for the LT1, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on the regular 350? I also bought the Rotella T Shell oil for it (15W40), and planned on doing the oil change before my last weekend on the water here. All the boat dealers here are backed up for a minimum of 1 week and can't seem to squeeze my simple little oil change in. Somebody please help me!

~J

russlars
09-24-2009, 04:05 PM
15W40 is the correct oil recommended by Indmar. There is always a big debate about whether synthetic is advantageous. I just use good old Pennzoil 15W40 in my LTR.

JohnE
09-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Congrats on the boat and welcome to the forum.

Search the site and you will find tons of threads on oil. Especially if you search for posts by bigmac and JimN.

EarlyriserX9
09-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey guys, new to the site and also to the MasterCraft realm. I got into these boats originally because as far back as I can remember, my uncle was buying and selling MasterCrafts like I change my underwear, no joke. He was (and still is) a big time skiier, and I promised myself one day I'd have one of my own, and that dream came true about 3 weeks ago or so. I drove about 3 hours away to find a teal '98 with a hair over 400 hours on it, and now it's time to change the oil in it. The dealer I bought it from told me 15W40 non-synthetic, and I also talked to a dealer in MN that I just bought my boom from and they also said 15W40 is what is reccommended to run. I thought I had the LT1 until my uncle advised me it's the standard 350 Indmar, because it didn't have the "Corvette" valve covers. Well I bought the Delco PF454 for the LT1, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on the regular 350? I also bought the Rotella T Shell oil for it (15W40), and planned on doing the oil change before my last weekend on the water here. All the boat dealers here are backed up for a minimum of 1 week and can't seem to squeeze my simple little oil change in. Somebody please help me!

~J

The AC Delco PF454 will work. That's what I have on mine.

FrankSchwab
09-24-2009, 11:39 PM
You'll find basically two tiers of opinions on oil for our boats:
1. Name-brand 15w-40. This will probably be either Pennzoil (Recommended by Mastercraft), Rotella, or Delo. All meet the requirements posted by Indmar; the Delo and Rotella (being aimed at the Diesel market) may be a bit higher quality.
2. High-end 15w-40 (with some variance in viscosities, depending on the oil). This would include the Mobil-1 crowd, the Amsoil crowd, and some even smaller niche oils. All meet the requirements posted by Indmar, and may be higher quality than the level-1 oils, or may just cost more. Argument for: "Even if it helps only a little bit, the extra $7 per oil change is worth it" or "it makes me feel better". Arguments against: "I'm not gonna make them rich just because they try to make me feel inadequate" or "there's absolutely no proof that their oils increase engine life over dino oils changed at the manufacturers recommended intervals".

Good luck changing anyone's mind on either side of the argument. BigMac (IIRC) has extensive experience in the oil industry, and has given his opinion several times. Doesn't seem to have changed too many minds (at least, not the minds attached to the loudest keyboards).

/frank

Thrall
09-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Any decent 15W40. I've run 10W40 a couple times. It will be fine. It's a small block chevy!
Napa Gold 1069 filter......or anything but Fram.