PDA

View Full Version : Blocks or tires? (Poll)

CruisinGA
09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Getting ready to put the boat (02 X9) up for the season for the first time. In our situation, it is likely it will sit under cover, on the trailer, without being touched from a week or two from now until late March at the earliest.

It makes sense that setting the trailer frame on blocks would extend the life of the trailer tires and springs, but do many people actually do this?

I've been around plenty of trailers, but none that would sit for extended periods of time with load on them.

Thanks for the input,
Bailey

Sodar
09-24-2009, 02:08 PM
After hearing the stories about Marathon tires and torsion axles, I have put my trailer on jack stands since new. It takes 2 minutes a side and is just piece of mind.

Kevin@MWMC
09-24-2009, 02:41 PM
After hearing the stories about Marathon tires and torsion axles, I have put my trailer on jack stands since new. It takes 2 minutes a side and is just piece of mind.

May sound like a dumb question, sorry. But where do you put the jack stands and how many do you use?

I was thinking about putting mine up on stands for the winter, but just don't really know the correct places to put them.

Skipper
09-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I block it every year. I put a scrap of 2" x 4" on top of an 8" x 8" x 16" cinder block and lower the axle onto it. Both sides. Good practice to preserve the life of your tires.

Sodar
09-24-2009, 02:44 PM
May sound like a dumb question, sorry. But where do you put the jack stands and how many do you use?

I was thinking about putting mine up on stands for the winter, but just don't really know the correct places to put them.

I put 2 jack stands under each side of the front axle on my tandem trailer. I just let the read axles hang there.

Miss Rita
09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I can't see how blocking the trailer will extend the life of the springs. I CAN see where blocking the axles would be good for the tires.

I used to have a 1981 Porsche 911. FWIW their instructions were to inflate the tires to 60 psi for long-term storage to prevent flat-spotting.

I put wood blocks under the axles, as close to the wheels as possible.

ski_king
09-24-2009, 02:56 PM
For what it is worth, mine has sat on its tires and springs for the last 27 years.

Age Fighter
09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I have never blocked the trailer--had several different boats that stay on trailers all winter.

But another question? Why end the season so soon in Georgia? Or is it Georgia the former Soviet Republic? I would think you could go into early November.

Thrall
09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
It's not going to hurt anything to leave it on the rubber. Blocking up the axles still keeps the weight on the springs (or twice the wieght in Sodar's case). Tires will be fine. I got a 2001 single axle sled trailer sitting on the original Nankang tires, never seen the inside of a garage, no issues. Tires are getting a little dry rot cracking, but they're 10 years old.
Used to hear same thing about sleds, block them up to get the weight off the track lugs and shocks/springs. It's bunk. My wife's sled is 5 years old this year and the shocks don't even need to be rebuilt yet.

CruisinGA
09-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I have never blocked the trailer--had several different boats that stay on trailers all winter.

But another question? Why end the season so soon in Georgia? Or is it Georgia the former Soviet Republic? I would think you could go into early November.

We only use the boat weekends on Lake Blue Ridge, which is in the far north Georgia mountains, much cooler than most of Georgia. Blue Ridge is also a Corps of Engineers lake, which means that it's height fluctuates up to 15 feet or so over the course of a year - it's dropping pretty quick right now to make room for winter flood storage.
Also, we are brand new to the lake and don't really know what to expect when the lake gets really low, (don't want dock/boat to get beached), and schedules getting busier with school and college football (Ga Tech) back in session.
Basically, didn't want to leave a boat sitting in the water for another month or so for just one use. We don't have a lift on our dock yet, and the boat ramp is on the opposite side of the lake from us, large hassle to put in/out for a day.

That said, we did put over 70 hours on the boat in 1/2 a season, only using the boat on weekends, so I think we got plenty of time in. :D

Thanks for the input guys, still not sure what I'm going to do. Whether or not the boat storage people have a jack I can use will probably factor in. Don't really want to lug mine up from Atlanta.

kjohnson
09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
I have a 91 PS 190 and have never blocked it either. No problems. Now watch, I'll break a leaf spring next time I go to the lake.

CruisinGA
09-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I used to have a 1981 Porsche 911. FWIW their instructions were to inflate the tires to 60 psi for long-term storage to prevent flat-spotting.

Probably a left over from the days of Bias-Ply tires.
The 37" Bias ply tires on my '74 Land Cruiser will flat spot very badly if not kept at least fully inflated while sitting, even for just a week.

However, modern radial's don't have the same flat spot problems that bias-ply's did.

I need to check to see which is on my boat trailer. I believe a number of trailer tire models are still bias ply.

Miss Rita
09-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Ah, excuse me, but radial tires were in wide-spread use in the 80's, especially for Porsche. Mine had Pirelli P7's.

I think Porsche owners, just like MC owners, tend to be a little OCD. Porsches are often stored for long periods of times, just like MC's.

There are more than a few auto enthusiasts who will put their cars on blocks during long term storage to "save" the tires.(whatever that means)

Hey, if it makes us feel better; why not?

russlars
09-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I put 2 jack stands under each side of the front axle on my tandem trailer. I just let the read axles hang there.
Cameron,
Why not use 4 jack stands? Seems kind of odd to just let that back axle just hand there.

CruisinGA
09-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Ah, excuse me, but radial tires were in wide-spread use in the 80's, especially for Porsche. Mine had Pirelli P7's.

Which is why I said "left-over." Perhaps even though the tires had changed, the thinking had not yet.
Radials were "standard" around '75, but some habits die hard.

I think Porsche owners, just like MC owners, tend to be a little OCD. Porsches are often stored for long periods of times, just like MC's.

Absolutely.

Double D
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
I have never blocked my tires for the eight years I have owned the boat but it was because the right side was always tight along the wall and I couldn't it it raised. But now with the new garage my plan is to block it. Why take the chance.

Sodar
09-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Cameron,
Why not use 4 jack stands? Seems kind of odd to just let that back axle just hand there.

Torsion axles... they do not hang... they sit there just like they would if they were on the ground. All I am trying to do is get the weight off the torsion arm.

To all that say "I have done this for XX year and everything is fine"... you guys have not been around the newer MC trailers, have ya!?!? Do a search about the problems with the trailers since that switched to the torsions... not good! :rolleyes: