PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Upholstery

hoosierfan73
09-23-2009, 10:34 PM
I have mold growing on portions of my upholstery. Does anybody have suggestions for the best way to clean it up?

sand2snow22
09-23-2009, 11:06 PM
This is supposed to be the best stuff these days.......Malco + nylon brush and some rags. I have had success with magic erasers and water, but they can be abrasive. Just don't do it too often.....

Malco leather and plastic cleaner is on the bottom of this page......

http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd32-9.aspx

TMCNo1
09-24-2009, 06:20 AM
This is supposed to be the best stuff these days.......Malco + nylon brush and some rags. I have had success with magic erasers and water, but they can be abrasive. Just don't do it too often.....

Malco leather and plastic cleaner is on the bottom of this page......

http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd32-9.aspx

Agreed. been using it for years for everything and it makes for one of the best engine cleaners out there,

brucemac
09-24-2009, 08:09 PM
no1 what do you use the orange cleaner for the motor?

been trying to find the leather/plastic cleaner locally along with their PB2 dressing, but looks like i have to buy online. heard the cleaner works awesome and can't wait to try it out.

TMCNo1
09-24-2009, 08:24 PM
no1 what do you use the orange cleaner for the motor?

been trying to find the leather/plastic cleaner locally along with their PB2 dressing, but looks like i have to buy online. heard the cleaner works awesome and can't wait to try it out.

The plastic and leather I use full strength for engine cleaning and detail stuff, it's not as acidic as most cleaners and won't foam or dull aluminum. The orange is concentrated and can be cut as much as 5:1 for some things, but I cut it 1:1 with water and use for vehicle wheel wells, wheels/tires, undercarriages, lawnmower, house vinyl siding and trim and general around the house stuff.

ORX-1
10-16-2009, 03:50 PM
A buddy use the Malco cleaner on his seats, this stuff seriously works but man it stinks!!!! I have been trying to track down some myself now. Looks like online is the best way to go, but I hate paying shipping.

TMCNo1
10-16-2009, 04:42 PM
A buddy use the Malco cleaner on his seats, this stuff seriously works but man it stinks!!!! I have been trying to track down some myself now. Looks like online is the best way to go, but I hate paying shipping.

I don't understand about the stink, both I have posted previously have practically no smell whatsoever.

dstone124
10-16-2009, 04:52 PM
I had some upholstery work done on my old Maristar by a local guy. His suggestion was a product found at the Dollar store- its called "Awesome". Comes in a squirt bottle as a concentrate and its literally $1. Works really well on just about everything, including some nail polish my wife spotted on one of our white seats.
No matter what cleaner you use I would definately recommend a vinyl dressing afterwards to keep the skins plyable.

sand2snow22
10-16-2009, 07:57 PM
I would not recommend Awesome. We used to use that stuff religiously on the family boats. It turned the upholstery in my friend's center console to mush and goop within a year of the boat sitting in the sun. Our neighbor used it on his vinyl inflatable (PVC) and it did the same thing. I think Awesome has some sort of negative effect on vinyl. My true, real world experience. :o

It does do an AWESOME job cleaning... maybe too good, though! :D

Good to know! I've used that stuff before, never on my own boat. It does work well, probably too well.

TMCNo1
10-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I had some upholstery work done on my old Maristar by a local guy. His suggestion was a product found at the Dollar store- its called "Awesome". Comes in a squirt bottle as a concentrate and its literally $1. Works really well on just about everything, including some nail polish my wife spotted on one of our white seats.
No matter what cleaner you use I would definately recommend a vinyl dressing afterwards to keep the skins plyable.

I saw that stuff the other day at a Dollar Tree store, but was afraid to buy it.
It probably made from some type of acid they didn't put into their cheap Chinese drywall!:rolleyes: