PDA

View Full Version : Phew, That Was A Close Call.

deminimis
09-23-2009, 11:32 PM
As much as I'm not convinced the Boat Buddy is such a great thing, it saved my bacon tonight. Was pullnig my boat up a steep ramp and bam! The winch strap snapped. The now very bent Boat Buddy saved my boat from bouncing down the steep concrete loading ramp. I've been using a transome strap as backup when trailering, but I certianly didn't have that on when pullng out of the water. First thing int he morning I'll be fitting my trailer with two safety chains. THat was one close call. Too close.

sand2snow22
09-24-2009, 12:11 AM
On my water test with the new boat, putting the boat on the trialer, I blew right past the boat buddy and bent the trailer support, too:( I learned that DBW + MCX is really touchy!

MariStar-Man
09-24-2009, 12:22 AM
I didn't trust the old eye hook and installed new material. I still felt I needed a back-up and installed this:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/1999%20Maristar/trailer/a.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/1999%20Maristar/trailer/3.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/1999%20Maristar/trailer/b.jpg

Good luck and let us know what you wind up doing...

east tx skier
09-24-2009, 04:33 PM
No boat buddy anymore, but I have a very sturdy backup chain that is always in place.

deminimis
09-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Other than saving my boat from certain destruction last night, the Boat Buddy system isn't really for me. Mines pretty much trashed now. I may just go with a "V" roller up front in place of the BB. Someone here had a nice example of their conversion (might have even been you Tex).

jdl xstar
09-24-2009, 05:33 PM
This makes me think that waxing or spraying the bunks may not be such a great idea afterall. Yes, it makes driving it onto the trailer a little easier but perhaps the friction is a good think so that its much harder for the boat to slide on the rails when trailering...

Double D
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Other than saving my boat from certain destruction last night, the Boat Buddy system isn't really for me. Mines pretty much trashed now. I may just go with a "V" roller up front in place of the BB. Someone here had a nice example of their conversion (might have even been you Tex).

Careful with that. I had a V up their and got rid of it for vertical angled pads because the gelcoat at the bottom of my nose was a messed up due to it banging on the V, and support peice, every time it left the trailer.

deminimis
09-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Double D, do you have a pic of that setup? I'm off to the marine store to pick up a heavy duty strap, etc. and going to see what they have for a pad, roller, BB, etc.

JD, funny you should mention that. Before loading, I was looking for something in the van to use for lubing the carpet. Good thing I didn't locate anything (Pledge, etc.). If I had, I think the story might have had a different ending.

Double D
09-25-2009, 01:52 AM
Double D, do you have a pic of that setup? I'm off to the marine store to pick up a heavy duty strap, etc. and going to see what they have for a pad, roller, BB, etc.

JD, funny you should mention that. Before loading, I was looking for something in the van to use for lubing the carpet. Good thing I didn't locate anything (Pledge, etc.). If I had, I think the story might have had a different ending.

Long story short: My brother has this setup on his Eagle Trailer and Nautique. He also had it on his 79 Tique so I have loved this option forever. So I verified the unit would work for my boat an ordered the identical unit from Eagle. Between you and me :rolleyes:, I had to lie to Eagle and told them I had a Nautique and Eagle trailer. I got it, mounted it, and it works awesome. Side note: With my crappy trailer, I had to add a v-pad for the front of the boat to keep the nose up.
Pictures:
1st - Original Setup of trailer (after restore) with a V pad and no nose support.
2nd - My brothers boat and trailer with the front vertical pad unit.
3rd/4th - Two angles of my updated trailer with both the vertical pads and new nose support. (Best pictures I have at the moment)
As you can see the unit comes with a horizontal member that supports the winch.
Hope this helps!

deminimis
09-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks DD. I have a pickle fork so I'm gonna need to come up with something else. I really like that setup for you normal bowed-folks.

I looked at the usual "V" front bumpers found at boat shops, but those "V"s seem too steep for the flatter "V" of a pickle fork. They were only around $10 or so, so I wish I would have grabbed one just to see. I dunno. I'll probably end up buying a new Boat Buddy and call it a day. Which brings me to another point. Don't the folks at Boat Buddy have a marketing department? I mean, really? "Boat Buddy?" Sounds very similar to an euphemism for, well you know....a person engaging in an alternative boating lifestyle.

Damn I need to get more sleep.

corey
09-25-2009, 05:06 PM
If you have a pickle fork you can have the bow stop double as a boarding ladder!

58Carter
09-25-2009, 07:12 PM
This discussion goes to show there never seems to be a perfect answer to anything.

I must say that a secondary "attachment" of the boat to the trailer is a good thing and is something I always have practiced in my 40 years of boating experience.

My experience comes from previously owning two correct crafts, each had the vertical bow stop shown in DoubleD's second picture. The vertical bow stops are great because you can see how far up the boat is positioned on the trailer. The drawback of the vertical pads is actually shown in the same picture. They can be a real pain when dealing with the cover. You always need to leave a gap between the rub rail and the pads in order to be able to pull the cover over the vertical pads. This gap can take care of itself if while loading the boat, you stop just as the boat touches the pads. Then when you pull out the back of the boat settles on the rear of the trailer and creates the necessary gap. HERE IS THE CATCH. Once on the road after putting the cover on and you need to stop suddenly and the boat slides forward the canvas is trapped between the rub rail and the vertical pads. Once the boat is pressing against the vertical pads you cannot get the cover off or on.

In lieu of a chain the other guys (Correct Craft) typically utilize a turn buckle and a snap hook. I like the chain better.

The distance between the tounge of the trailer and the bow eye will be less if you are on a steep ramp. The rear of the boat will be floating off the trailer more on a steep ramp causing what I mentioned in the previous sentence. Therfore it is best to have where the turn buckle or chain attach to the trailer as near as you can horizontally aligned with the bow eye.