PDA

View Full Version : mounting different tower speakers to MC tower

hawaiianstiln
09-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Has anyone machined any tower clamps to fit the 4 mounting locations on the MC tower? I was heading in the direction of after market tower speakers, but was thinking about having a machine shop make me a clamp that screws into the predesigned areas for the MC JL audio cans that are suppose to fit on that tower. I think wetsounds makes a clamp, but I don't want to spend that much money on 4 tower speakers. I don't mind using the universal "C" clamp that all the other after market cans have. However,it would be nice to have a machine shop make an insert to use since the mounts are already welded onto the tower and the speaker wires are sitting behind the 4 covers on the tower now.

medicmoose
09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
I replaced the 2 factory JL speakers with 2 Wetsounds Pro 80's and 2 MB 8's that bolt to the factory spot on the tower. Let me tell you....you will never be disappointed with Wetsounds! Yes they were pricey but well worth the money. I find with my friends X-2 with factory speakers that too much low quality sound is directed right into the boat. My Wetsounds speakers give a very high quality sound and are better able to project that sound back to the rider.

Yes, again, they are pricey....but here is a guy who is really happy to have made the investment!

hawaiianstiln
09-24-2009, 03:24 AM
I guess I could pick up two for now (one pair). Would you say that two of these on a tower would almost equal 4 normal (non horn technology) speakers as far as loudness and clarity? My only other problem is that I was looking at cans that have a quick release on them so that I can take them off to drop the tower and stuff it in the garage. Right now I have to drop the tower into the engine compartment area just to get a few more inches of clearance. I also have to turn the board racks at a 45 degree angle, take one fork off, and then the boat will fit in the garage. My worry is that I get these wetsounds and now they make the tower sit higher when layed down on the back deck. Just by looking, I might be able to go with two wetsounds MC60's and put them on the inside mounts and maybe it will still let me drop the tower in the engine compartment still.

It's either that or go back to a plan where I can find cans that are removable and machine a mount to the factory location mounts.

bturner2
09-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I completely agree with medicmoose. My 07 X2 came with the Wet Sounds Double Up package and just blow the doors off my buddy's stock MC speaker package.

Their customer serivce is also about as good as it gets. The chrome was fadding on the speaker grills and I called them to ask about buying replacements. They said that it shouldn't be happening and covered the new grills under warrenty. I had the new grills my at house two days later.

I know they're expensive but you get what you pay for. I would highly recommend them.

hawaiianstiln
09-24-2009, 12:05 PM
I just need to make sure if I put two wetsounds (MC60's) on the two inner mounts on the tower, if it will still allow me to drop the tower in the engine compartment to get a few more inches of clearance that I need to get the boat in the garage (depth isn't a problem, it's height). I can afford two for now and then ask the wife for two more at X-mas. LOL!!

Kevin@MWMC
09-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Another vote for WetSounds! They are the BEST when it comes to tower speakers. I have the uiversal clamps that came with the speakers, and they have the quick release on them. Very handy for taking them off for storage or whatever.

medicmoose
09-24-2009, 09:22 PM
The Pro 80's are big and I, like you, have trouble stuffing the boat in the garage. I'll have to take the speakers off in order for the tower to lay flat enough. I'm not sure if there is much difference with the Pro 60's....might be worth checking out but I think you'll probably run into the same problem. But when I consider the sound quality...I'll go through the hassle of taking them off at the end of the season!:headbang:

medicmoose
09-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Oh and one more thing....if you are at all tall....watch your head after installing Pro 80's. Like I said, they are a big speaker and apparently harder than my head!

hawaiianstiln
09-25-2009, 05:07 PM
finally found a sweet fix and they are quick disconnect new technology. This stuff is SWEET!!!
These are custom mounts for the MasterCraft tower factory locations. They basically connect on the inside of the mount then sound passes thru a microphone jack imbedded in the middle of your clamp so you don't have wires hanging all over when you remove these at the end of the day. Plus they are horn technology (wetsounds new competitor). I don't care who's better in who's mind, but all I know is that this is exactly what I was looking for. Plus, these guys are apparently Refugees from when Phoenix Gold was top off the line. They all started this company with the Exile products. They teamed up with Samson Sports (wakeboard towers) to innovate these new wakeboard tower speakers with quick disconnect, horn technology.

I'm sold... http://www.exileaudio.com/marine/

sand2snow22
09-25-2009, 05:18 PM
finally found a sweet fix and they are quick disconnect new technology. This stuff is SWEET!!!
These are custom mounts for the MasterCraft tower factory locations. They basically connect on the inside of the mount then sound passes thru a microphone jack imbedded in the middle of your clamp so you don't have wires hanging all over when you remove these at the end of the day. Plus they are horn technology (wetsounds new competitor). I don't care who's better in who's mind, but all I know is that this is exactly what I was looking for. Plus, these guys are apparently Refugees from when Phoenix Gold was top off the line. They all started this company with the Exile products. They teamed up with Samson Sports (wakeboard towers) to innovate these new wakeboard tower speakers with quick disconnect, horn technology.

I'm sold... http://www.exileaudio.com/marine/

I might know somebody who can get you a discount. They are a local company. I have a friend who worked with them. Not sure if he can, but I can see if you want me to.....

hawaiianstiln
09-25-2009, 06:27 PM
you mean Brady or Tyler at PDX? Yep, talked to them a few hours ago. :) :) :) lol

What can I say, i'm a slut when it comes to knowing a lot of people in this sport. Thanks for wanting to help me out tho! You guys are all about the bro system up there. All I need you to do is fly me up there so I can hang out with you guys for the weekend. :)

hawaiianstiln
09-25-2009, 06:29 PM
or maybe you are talking about Brian directly at the company. Those guys up at Exile are top notch. Been talking with them all day. Great bunch of people.

sand2snow22
09-25-2009, 07:34 PM
No, wasn't talking about those guys, but sounds like you have it under control.....

brianinpdx
09-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey guys -

The clamp that Hawainstyln is talking about is pretty unique and developed just for you MC guys that want to pull off the factory tower speakers and end up with a serious upgrade that direct fits those stock locations - and still has a factory look. Thanks for the photo posts. Shows pretty clearly what's up. If anyone wants more information on how all this works, hit me up at brian@exileaudio.com and I'll give you the detailed explanation..... hehe.

peace!

-Brian
Exile Audio

hawaiianstiln
09-26-2009, 06:46 PM
plus I will post pics up on this thread once I do the install so that others can see.

TallRedRider
09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Hawaiin,

Do you have a pic of the speakers themselves?

hawaiianstiln
09-28-2009, 07:42 PM
not on my tower yet, so no. However, here's a start for good literature and pictures. I will post up once I get them installed on the tower.

http://www.exileaudio.com/marine/