PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE) Problems

iplount
09-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Love the noise reduction and the reported safety of decreasing CO of the FAE.

I have fixed it once where it came loose from the boat exhaust port. Appears that the screws came loose. The result was bent supports. I was able to easily repair and there was no damage to the boat or to the FAE. I made sure that all the clamps and screws were tightened down.

Very next outing the damn thing came apart where the rubber meets the pieces that attach to the boats exhaust. This again resulted in no damage to the boat or the FAE. Basically bent the support bars that go down to the FAE.

In both cases it doesn't appear that the FAE hit anything. The FAE or my rudder and prop appear to have no damage like you would expect if I hit something.

So now I am thinking of removing it. I am mainly concerned about possible damage to my boat should it rip the screws out of the exhaust port leaving me with stripped holes for mounting anything. Secondly I am not fond of having to repair it which means unscrewing my platform each time.

Anyone experienced similar issues? What did you do? I have a MC 2008 X15. I don't really want to go back to the MC flappers as they are loud as he!!. I saw somewhere on these posting where someone took the Malibu downturn exhaust tips and installed them on their MC. Any thoughts on this approach rather than the FAE.

Again like the results of the FAE. They seem to have missed a bit on the construction execution.

Thanks

TallRedRider
09-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Post a pic of your install.

I had mine for 3 years on my old boat and never had a hiccup with it.

Talk to Larry Mann at FAE, he is always good for customer service.

rgardjr1
09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
I have a FAE on my boat from the previous owner. I'm assuming that your FAE is set up similar to mine-double hose clamps at boat exhaust and where it connects to the FAE. I'm considering pulling my FAE off just to see if I'm suffering any performance loss or changes in wake shape with it. My buddy swears up and down that it's got to be messing with both. I've never heard the boat without the FAE so I can't comment about how much it quiets the boat down. We had some friends out on the boat this summer and my friend's wife was impressed by how quiet our boat was.

88 PS190
09-23-2009, 06:10 PM
If you do pull yours be sure to go get some rubber flappers and put them on, do not use the boat with out rubber flappers.

iplount
09-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I do think I suffer a bit of out of the hole power but that being said its an ok trade-off for the noise reduction. I think I am going to look into installing something like the STE down turn exhaust tips from bakes online. I think I may need to drill new holes in the tips to line up with the exhaust ports on the stern but seems like it would be a more robust solution.

And yes if taken off be sure to put flaps back on.

Larry Mann
09-23-2009, 09:03 PM
iplount
Please contact us at Fresh Air Exhaust so we can discuss the problems you are having. It is very unusual for FAE to slip loose on a Master Craft; there may be some installation issues that are a very simple fix. Even though you have had your FAE for over a year we will be very pleased to assist you to correct the problem.
Larry Mann
Fresh Air Exhaust

vision
09-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I have had a FAE on my 08 X-star for 2 years. I have never had even a lose bolt or clamp since I first installed it. If everything was tight to start with, the only thing else I can think off is that your stabilizer rods from the platform are too tight or incorrectly placed and when your swim platform moves up and down, it is pulling off or loosing the FAE.

Larry Mann
09-24-2009, 10:10 AM
It would appear that the movement of the swim platform should pull the FAE loose but that just doesn't seem to happen. Typically the problem of an FAE slipping loose is that the hose clamps were installed with a screwdriver instead of a nut driver/wrench. You cannot tighten the hose clamp adequately unless you use a nutdriver. The exhaust outlets on Supra/Moombas are non reinforced plastic and because of them we have also learned some "tricks" to better secure the FAE and can assist with these instructions; but again, we have not had to use these methods with Master Craft installs.

Also, with FAE being underwater there is a slight increase in exhaust back pressure on takeoff. This should increase the engine's torque on takeoff which will actually improve takeoff speed and pulling power. Our test boat showed slightly improved 1/8 mile acceleration with FAE installed. The reduced noise can change the perception of power and speed but to verify pull out the stopwatch.

Jesus_Freak
09-24-2009, 12:35 PM
It would appear that the movement of the swim platform should pull the FAE loose but that just doesn't seem to happen. Typically the problem of an FAE slipping loose is that the hose clamps were installed with a screwdriver instead of a nut driver/wrench. You cannot tighten the hose clamp adequately unless you use a nutdriver. The exhaust outlets on Supra/Moombas are non reinforced plastic and because of them we have also learned some "tricks" to better secure the FAE and can assist with these instructions; but again, we have not had to use these methods with Master Craft installs.

Also, with FAE being underwater there is a slight increase in exhaust back pressure on takeoff. This should increase the engine's torque on takeoff which will actually improve takeoff speed and pulling power. Our test boat showed slightly improved 1/8 mile acceleration with FAE installed. The reduced noise can change the perception of power and speed but to verify pull out the stopwatch.

Hey Larry. I thought you already had a membership on here before this month.

I would have to see the data and statistics on that one...;). Seems to me that if there were a slight increase in torque, the effect would be partially offset by the slight increase in underwater drag. Seems it would be hard to find a difference within test variability. But hey...I learn something here regularly.

iplount
09-24-2009, 01:38 PM
I did tighten with a screw driver and not a driver/wrench. Perhaps that was the problem. I also noticed on the FAE site that the down tube is installed at a slight angle not at 90 degress. I had mine at 90 degrees.
I'm fixing it again this weekend, also going to contact them and see if they can provide some more help. Next outing isn't until next week. I'll keep you posted.

On the power issue. It is so minor, and it could just be a perception thing, that getting a stop watch and all that is just not worth it to me. I'll leave it to the scientist and engineer folks on here to conduct these tests and report back :)

Larry Mann
09-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Jesus Freak
Yes, I did have a prior membership on this discussion board but found I could not log in even after requesting a new password emailed to me. It seemed simpler to just re-register.

I plan to do some updated testing this winter, including standing stop acceleration. I am thinking about doing something like a "tractor pull" where I pull a static load to simulate pulling a skier out of the water, with and without FAE. At this time I'm thinking about using a tube half full of air and half full of water. Any other suggestions on a load to pull would be appreciated.

I also plan to remove my boat's internal muffler and see if there is any improved performance or reduced interior noise. I will publish my data when completed.

Jesus_Freak
09-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Jesus Freak
Yes, I did have a prior membership on this discussion board but found I could not log in even after requesting a new password emailed to me. It seemed simpler to just re-register.

I plan to do some updated testing this winter, including standing stop acceleration. I am thinking about doing something like a "tractor pull" where I pull a static load to simulate pulling a skier out of the water, with and without FAE. At this time I'm thinking about using a tube half full of air and half full of water. Any other suggestions on a load to pull would be appreciated.

I also plan to remove my boat's internal muffler and see if there is any improved performance or reduced interior noise. I will publish my data when completed.

My only suggestion would be to buy me a plane ticket and let me be your skier load. I fall enough to give you plenty of data collection opportunity!

Seriously, after collecting the with-FAE versus no-FAE data, you can do a simple "t" test in Excel to compare the means. The program will compare the standard deviation in the two data sets and see if the two situations are statistically different. Of course, you have to take mucho data, and your procedures have to be precisely the same. Would be hard for you to be objective, right? Might get another driver, maybe some clueless teen who just likes to objectively hammer the throttle. :D

iplount
09-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Dude ... you guys have way to much time on your hands!!! :)

Sodar
09-25-2009, 04:17 PM
My only suggestion would be to buy me a plane ticket and let me be your skier load. I fall enough to give you plenty of data collection opportunity!

Seriously, after collecting the with-FAE versus no-FAE data, you can do a simple "t" test in Excel to compare the means. The program will compare the standard deviation in the two data sets and see if the two situations are statistically different. Of course, you have to take mucho data, and your procedures have to be precisely the same. Would be hard for you to be objective, right? Might get another driver, maybe some clueless teen who just likes to objectively hammer the throttle.

It is official. Jesus Freak is the resident NERD of the boards. In previous requests for data, I thought he was half-way joking, but this my friends in true nerd-ism.

Congrats Freak! Next time I want to run some tests on my boat, I will give ya a call! Be sure to bring your laptop loaded up with Excel! While you are running numbers, I will be the guy behind the boat, skiing! :D :D :D :D

swatguy
09-25-2009, 10:05 PM
They first time I installed mine I had the same thing happen for what I believe was the exact same reason. I used a screwdriver to tighten down the camp. Within 2 weeks it managed to come loose. I then used a socket driver. 2.5 yrs with zero problem.

The only performance flaw I have experienced(which is a minor trade off) is at slow/idle speed my turning to the left seems to take a wider approach. Again the only difference I've noticed. To be honest after owning one now for so long and then spending last weekend behind some of the newer MC's with the bigger engines I will never own another boat without one. Wow what a difference. Even with the MCX. Although I did kind of miss the old sound of one taking off out of the hole. ;)

Jesus_Freak
09-26-2009, 06:38 AM
It is official. Jesus Freak is the resident NERD of the boards. In previous requests for data, I thought he was half-way joking, but this my friends in true nerd-ism. Congrats Freak! Next time I want to run some tests on my boat, I will give ya a call!

Honored! Thanks. ;)

Jesus_Freak
09-26-2009, 06:42 AM
Dude ... you guys have way to much time on your hands!!! :)

Actually, I spend maybe a half hour a day on this forum. Does that count as too much time? :)

mccobmd
09-26-2009, 08:44 AM
It is official. Jesus Freak is the resident NERD of the boards. In previous requests for data, I thought he was half-way joking, but this my friends in true nerd-ism.

Congrats Freak! Next time I want to run some tests on my boat, I will give ya a call! Be sure to bring your laptop loaded up with Excel! While you are running numbers, I will be the guy behind the boat, skiing! :D :D :D :D

JF, the good news is almost all MC owners I know were definitely in the nerd category in High school and college. They have traded the "nerd" for highly educated. as Paul said "I am what I am by the grace of God".