PDA

View Full Version : Last Ski in 09

icedog-10
09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I am going over some pics that my wife took about 10 days ago from my last ski in 09 due to ACL and Meniscus surgery. We were skiing on the Milwaukee River and passed this Stars and Stripes going about 10mph slower. It was a great day and I am at peace that I will be at it again in spring. By the way, so far so good, but I am on some great drugs right now.

flipper
09-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Sorry to hear you are done for the year, but keep on the water. May not be able to ski yourself, but no reason to park the boat

sand2snow22
09-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Did you wreck the knee skiing?

icedog-10
09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
ACL 4 years ago on the wakeboard, thought it was just a sprain. I even ran a marathon this spring with it torn. The Meniscus got torn one week after the marathon playing beach volleyball. Guess I am lucky that I still have about 90% of the Meniscus after surgery. Felt stupid getting it fixed since I have been getting around better than most before the surgery, but I have been going around fearful of tearing it more.

jdl xstar
09-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Skiing, wakeboarding, marathon, volleyball... I feel lazy! Good luck with the knee. I'm 1 yr post op for acl replacement. The scar from the surgury is a badge of honor! (if hurt during sports- not slipping in the bathtub or something)

flipper
09-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Skiing, wakeboarding, marathon, volleyball... I feel lazy! Good luck with the knee. I'm 1 yr post op for acl replacement. The scar from the surgury is a badge of honor! (if hurt during sports- not slipping in the bathtub or something)
That depends on who you were with and what you were doing in the bath tub sir:D

icedog-10
09-23-2009, 12:13 PM
My secret is that I don't do any of them very well, that's why I am able to hold down a job through all that.

jdl xstar
09-23-2009, 12:13 PM
That depends on who you were with and what you were doing in the bath tub sir:D

LOL! I didn't think of that aspect! Very true!

ntidsl
09-23-2009, 01:57 PM
who's the idiot driving right behind you...i'd flip if another boat was right behind me!!!

bxroads
09-23-2009, 02:01 PM
who's the idiot driving right behind you...i'd flip if another boat was right behind me!!!

We were skiing on the Milwaukee River and passed this Stars and Stripes going about 10mph slower.

Looks like it was his decision.........

ntidsl
09-23-2009, 02:02 PM
yikes
you crazy!

ntidsl
09-23-2009, 02:04 PM
poor guy had some great water...and gets passed...damn there goes the good water...shame on you...bummer about the knee but jeez you ruined that guys ski run

EricB
09-23-2009, 02:42 PM
The Milwaukee River has come along way since I lived there (mid 80's). Back then, it was not a desireable place to ski, swim, boat or anything. Glad to hear it's comming back!

icedog-10
09-23-2009, 03:18 PM
poor guy had some great water...and gets passed...damn there goes the good water...shame on you...bummer about the knee but jeez you ruined that guys ski run

I had the water first and he got up in front of me. We live in harmony in a very tight space on the river and nobody seems to get mad. Most times we will wait on the North end and wait for the other boat to come back and then take our turn, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Ryan
09-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm jealous. I most likely missed my last chance for a run this week due to weather. I go in for eye surgery tomorrow and have been specifically directed not to ski (or even exercise) for 3-4 weeks since skiing may have caused my eye problem. The lake levels here will start dropping, fingers crossed I can still get to a ramp at the end of Oct.

icedog-10
09-23-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm jealous. I most likely missed my last chance for a run this week due to weather. I go in for eye surgery tomorrow and have been specifically directed not to ski (or even exercise) for 3-4 weeks since skiing may have caused my eye problem. The lake levels here will start dropping, fingers crossed I can still get to a ramp at the end of Oct.

Good luck. Are you getting Cataract Surgery? You can always drive south and find some water.

daverbeck
09-23-2009, 09:49 PM
I had a torn meniscus repaired this spring and was skiing 6 weeks later. There is still occasional pain when I hit the wake but some days the "good" knee hurts more so I guess it is just age? At 55 you don't really have any good knees anymore. I wonder if the off season basket is going to help??

Ryan
09-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Good luck. Are you getting Cataract Surgery? You can always drive south and find some water.

No Cataracts. I'd say I'm too young for that, but I'm too young for what I have; partial vitreous detachment as a result of intermediary uveitis all caused by pars planitis - all leaving discharge debris in between my lens and retina. This usually happens to people 70+ according to the dozen doctors I've met over the past couple years. Rare for someone my age, it can be caused by blunt trauma like kick boxing (only ever did a few jiu jitsu classes) and bad ski falls.

icedog-10
09-24-2009, 08:05 AM
No Cataracts. I'd say I'm too young for that, but I'm too young for what I have; partial vitreous detachment as a result of intermediary uveitis all caused by pars planitis - all leaving discharge debris in between my lens and retina. This usually happens to people 70+ according to the dozen doctors I've met over the past couple years. Rare for someone my age, it can be caused by blunt trauma like kick boxing (only ever did a few jiu jitsu classes) and bad ski falls.

Good luck, let me know how it goes. They have made great advancements in Retinal surgery and I am sure you will be fine.